Acting Errs

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Brad A._dup1

Acting Errs

Postby Brad A._dup1 » May 10th, 2003, 8:20 am

In regards to picking up a lightbulb, Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Hey... it is HOT... you need to do a bit of acting... touch it... 'OUCH' shake fingers... etc.
This quote comes from the post "Remote Control Milk Lamp." Pete is talking of how some magicians will unscrew the lightbulb (filled with milk) and they will treat the lightbulb as if it wasn't hot. Normal light bulbs would probably be a little hot to touch.

This may happen to some magicians, and they might not even realize it: performing some action, but doing it in a way that isn't exactly "real."

Has anyone noticed little errs like this? I think it would be interesting to point out some of these little errs--some folks might learn something.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Pete Biro

Re: Acting Errs

Postby Pete Biro » May 10th, 2003, 9:48 am

GOOD SUBJECT:

Fred Kaps was "meticulous" in this area. He would not produce a (silk) handkerchief to do a coin routine with it as it would be WRINKLED. Not only that, he would have it located and folded in such a way as there would be NO READJUSTMENT.

If you watch TV Commercials where someone has to pick something up, or take something out of a pocket they do it without looking or fumbling. If you have to RE-DESIGN a pocket, or whatever, to make that work with no fumble DO IT.

Slydini told me once when I was putting a wand down and picking something up that I was making TWO moves out of it. He said, don't THINK about what you are putting down, just PICK UP the item the put down will happen automatically. (in some cases the reverse may work better). :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 27th, 2005, 12:06 am

don't THINK about what you are putting down, just PICK UP the item the put down will happen automatically. (in some cases the reverse may work better)
nb: not with a woman you'd like to date.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 27th, 2005, 5:50 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
... don't THINK about what you are putting down, just PICK UP the item ...
Gold advice there. This takes care of transfers and aquitments.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
GOOD SUBJECT:

Slydini told me once when I was putting a wand down and picking something up that I was making TWO moves out of it. He said, don't THINK about what you are putting down, just PICK UP the item the put down will happen automatically. (in some cases the reverse may work better). :genii:
Pete,

You know he made us practice with a metronome? While "down" and "up" each got a beat, it only counted as one move.

At the table, leaning forward and tipping the wrist were only one move.

Tony's facial expressions were even timed that closely. Every beat had a specific facing that went with it: face (especially chin), shoulders, hands etc. From old photos (not that a professional photographer would ever notice) you will see that Tony's chin even had a place to be on a given beat. He would tilt his head and give that crooked smile that made him Tony Slydini to the world. It was definitely planned.

I don't think the man did anything by mistake.

In working with studio musicians, I wished others had his sense of timing. I believe Tony could reliably count 66 beats per minute in an earthquake.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”