Lou Leventhal's Ring in Racquetball

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Lou Leventhal

Lou Leventhal's Ring in Racquetball

Postby Lou Leventhal » January 7th, 2006, 9:14 am

For those interested, Bill Palmer has just reviewed our Ring in Racquetball trick, made by Doug Malloy Modern Magic. This is obviously expensive and is hand-crafted for the professional performer and discriminating collector. More ads will be out in Genii and Magic Magazine in the spring, but this will be limited to a maximum of 2 runs (50 or less ever made).

You can check out Bill's review at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... orum=109&1

You can check out the trick on our website at www.louleventhal.com/prod/rr

Thanks for your interest!
Lou
Lou Leventhal
1636 Acadia Dr.
Saskatoon, SK CANADA
www.louleventhal.com

Jim Riser

Re: Lou Leventhal's Ring in Racquetball

Postby Jim Riser » January 7th, 2006, 11:07 am

Lou Leventhal along with Doug Malloy of Malloy Modern Magic have come up with a beautiful piece of apparatus with this item. In addition to the quality construction and materials, a lot of behind the scenes designing has been done. The non-glossy finish on the wood adds class and will be appreciated by pros. As I have mentioned to Lou, I particularly like the way the "chute entrance" is concealed and how the cage bars themselves assist in the working of the effect. I appreciate apparatus which can be adapted or modified to fit to a performer's own needs and performance style. This is such an item. Lou does the effect as a ring in racquetball effect with the ring vanishing at the beginning of the routine. I mentioned to Lou that I might prefer to have the ring change into a key. A lock would be installed on the inner wooden chest (not required for Lou's routine) and the key would open this lock to reveal the missing ball with the ring inside. For Mother/Daughter or Father/Daughter banquets, Husband/Wife/Family affairs, Sorority banquets, etc. I'd most likely vanish the ring to have it appear in a small bag around the neck of a stuffed animal inside of the cage (King Kong gorilla animals are hot items right now this can be changed with the season). The female assistant (ring owner) would get to keep the little animal. This would make things absolutely silent in working and allow a label to be added to the animal/bag with the performer's info on it. This little animal would be kept for years! I realize that the stuffed animal adaptation would not utilize the inner wooden chest from Lou's version. This is hard for many performers to do. It's like buying an 8 ring set of linking rings and using only 5 rings. Many performers think things like "I paid for 8 rings - so I'm using all 8". Real pros will look at the end effect and do what is necessary. In short, Lou's apparatus can be a very classy looking versatile item for the creative performer. I like it.
Jim

Lou Leventhal

Postby Lou Leventhal » January 7th, 2006, 11:22 am

Thanks Jim. It is humbling to have a craftsman of your talent and reputation give such a kind review for our first release to the magic community.

Doug Malloy may be willing to do a second run of 25 of these, but that will be it. I'd rather have a few performers & collectors who appreciate quality and craftmanship own this than it being poorly produced and performed for the "general public."

Doug Malloy was deeply appreciative of the fact that you and Bill Palmer noticed all of the little extra details.

Again, thanks so much for your input!

Lou
Lou Leventhal

1636 Acadia Dr.

Saskatoon, SK CANADA

www.louleventhal.com

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 18th, 2006, 9:09 pm

This is not a cheap trick in any sense of the word. If I weren't semi retired, I would add this to my act in the blink of an eye.

This is a well thought out, well routined piece of entertainment. And the craftsmanship is excellent. The satin finish on the wood pieces shows me that the person who designed this must have seen how spotlight glare looks on gloss finishes.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”