Card Stab

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Card Stab

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2007, 7:53 am

I have seen Johnny Thompson, Paul Daniels, Criss Angel (most recently) perform the card stab. Can anybody recommend some source material other than Tarbell and the DVDs that fearture Johnny Thompson and Paul Daniels?

Thanks
CLW

Re: Card Stab

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2007, 10:59 am

Martin Lewis has a great card stab routine (on one of his videos, I think). Then of course, there is Penn and Teller's version.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 21st, 2007, 11:16 am

I would research the Malini stab.
Stay tooned.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 22nd, 2007, 4:13 pm

Frank Garcia has a nice card stab. It's in Million Dollar Card Secrets. Can't obtain a copy? It's also on DVD. Go to Meir Yedid's website...

Postby Guest » August 22nd, 2007, 6:41 pm

The coolest card stab ever (it being understood, of course, that I never got to see Malini) was done years ago by David Copperfield (on "Terror Train"?) using a switch-blade:

Card selected, shuffled into deck (actually of course, controlled).
Deck tossed onto table, cards mixed up apparently haphazardly on table top (selection controlled with a little hand mucking) entire jumble of cards covered with a sheet of newspaper.

Switchblade introduced, clicked open dramatically, stabbed down onto table; With one hand holding knife, edge of newspaper is gripped with other hand, and sheet is pulled away, tearing as it's pulled loose of the knife.

Knife is lifted revealing one card stabbed, stuck to it's point: the selection.

Sweet. :cool:

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2007, 10:32 am

If I were going to do the card stab, I'd go with a slight modification of the Paul Potassy version. This was clearly explained/demonstrated in both his book from H&R and the DVD set from L&L.

His stuff was all the talk a few months ago. Do people actually read the books they buy - or even look at them? This is good material from a modern day working pro, is worth studying, and worth performing.

Back to the lathe...
Jim

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2007, 11:36 am

The Penn & Teller version. Sans gaffs...

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2007, 6:11 am

Check out Don Alan's version in his book plus he explains it on the Stevens DVD he did many years ago.

Charlie

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2007, 9:19 am

Malini, which I've done for years, has a massive effect on the audience, especially with the multiple selection of cards.

The last card is stabbed, the table or drawing board used as a surface is tipped as the blindfold is whipped off and the last card is dramatically revealed.

Theatrically, it builds and is VERY strong. I've done it in noisy night clubs that became very quiet while I did this one trick.

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2007, 5:30 am

Also try and catch Bob Sheets doing the card stab. He has a great presentation.

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2007, 6:15 am

This may help. I do a routine called the Marlo - Malini card stab. It is the Malini card stab with some ideas I got from an Ed Marlo routine.

I wrote it up in my blog book 4.

It is a free download at my web site. www.bishmagic.org

Check out the Malini card stab in the Stars of magic and the Vernon book on Malini. And also the Leipzig card stab in the Vernon book on Leipzig.

I hope this helps.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » September 16th, 2007, 10:16 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glenn Bishop:
[QB] This may help. I do a routine called the Marlo - Malini card stab. It is the Malini card stab with some ideas I got from an Ed Marlo routine.

I wrote it up in my blog book 4.[QUOTE]

Glenn: what is the password?
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 5:43 am

The first name of the first "bish the magish".

The first Bish the magish was my dad Billy Bishop!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 17th, 2007, 9:33 am

Dick Zimmerman had a great version similar to what Copperfield did (it might be the same method).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 1:39 pm

I wrote up this routine a long time ago and use to use it in night clubs. The Marlo odd even idea works great with 5 cards and there is no need for the magician to control the cards or perhaps lose the cards as he is playing with the pen knife and moving the cards around on the table while blindfolded.

I spent the day re-writing the routine a little and putting the book back on my web site.

I plan to re-write all the routines as they have changed over the years and add pictures to these blog books when I have the time.

Enjoy!

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”