Color changing silks Need Help!

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Color changing silks Need Help!

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2005, 9:00 am

Does anyone have any good refrences for color changing silks using a die tube or T.T.

I know Martin Lewis has his sucker silks...Does anyone else have a similar effect in print? I do not have the A-1 video where Martin explains this....please help!

Re: Color changing silks Need Help!

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2005, 9:36 am

Ron Wilson's routine is in The Uncanny Scot. It uses three silks and TWO dye tubes. It can be done either as a seated close-up routine, or standing. This was Ron Wilson's opener.

Billy McComb explained his take on the effect, The Half-Dyed Handkerchief, in McComb's Magic, I believe. At one point in the routine, he interrupts the color-change and shows the silk is half-red, half-white. Stevens Magic Emporium sells the necessary props.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 24th, 2005, 12:04 pm

"Roger Klause in Concert" by Lance Pierce, and (I think)the first volume of the "Vernon Chronicles" as they're called. You need them both to start to understand what all the fuss is about. Read these along with the Ron Wilson routine, and you've got a good grounding for this effect.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Thank you Curtis and Once a Magician!
I will definetly check out the Vernon books....as for the Wilson Routine I have read it. I really want the Kicker! Is this in the Vernon book?

Also, any of you have any info on the Pat Page 10 second newspaper tear? or maybe even PatPages e-mail!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 24th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Go to the classics... Tarbell and the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. Everything is there.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Pete, which Tarbell volume? I will look in the rice books half the size of tarbell but all silks!
Thank you for the info.

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2005, 1:27 pm

Pete, do you have any info on the Pat Page tear?
I have Pat's book but the explanation is not very good.....

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 25th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Rick,

I've still got the Video teaching the tear for sale if you are interested.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2005, 7:48 am

Originally posted by Rick Castro:
Does anyone have any good refrences for color changing silks using a die tube or T.T.

I know Martin Lewis has his sucker silks...Does anyone else have a similar effect in print? I do not have the A-1 video where Martin explains this....please help!

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2005, 7:50 am

Originally posted by Rick Castro:

The half Dyed Colour Changing Silk
McComb's Magic (25 Years Wiser) Billy McComb

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2005, 8:31 am

The book Bev Taylor's TOWN HOUSE MAGIC has Bev's original color changing handkerchief routine using a dye tube from around 1948, entitled 'Was my face red". It is a complete description with simple line drawings. It is far easier than the Roger Klaus version.

Postby Guest » March 7th, 2005, 3:55 pm

Ken Brooke's Sucker Silks.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Where mentalists shop for unique material

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2005, 10:31 am

Dye Tube silks is explained many different ways in the little 48 page book from Rice. Get Thru the Dye Tube by Rice and Van Zant.

I think it was about $5.00.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 30th, 2005, 1:06 pm

I believe the sucker explanation version was originated by Frank Lane.

Jack Chanin also had a great handling... one that inspired the Ken Brooke version.

Ron Wilson's is best done seated at a close up table.

I seldom work on stage without doing my version of the Half Dyed, which I actually had before McComb's version, from Rice's Encyclopedia by Lloyd Enochs. I still use the Lloyd gimmick and a Rice Palmo for the second phase as the two shapes are so different you can't mistake one for the other doing the switch.
Stay tooned.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » August 30th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Pete,

Have you printed your handling anywhere or ever sold your routine?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » August 30th, 2005, 2:46 pm

I've opened with half-dyed in a lot of my parlor shows -- no patter, just done to music. I use one large palmo and 3 silks. "Accidentally" show that I have 2 scarves... then do the half-dyed thing to finish. I may be switching soon to a larger custom version that I had done and which will require two gimmicks due to the size of the silks. I like the palmo gimmicks that Laflin puts out.

Sometimes I conclude with the production of a previously signed and vanished silk from the middle of the half-dyed -- just a little kicker.

JMT

dwmagic

Postby dwmagic » August 30th, 2005, 3:42 pm

One of the best color changing silk routines was performed by Earl Nelson who then taught it to George Tovar who has made it his own. A thing of beauty. The props are actually on ebay now. Although, props are one thing, chops are another.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 30th, 2005, 6:55 pm

How are they listed on Ebay.

My routine and handling is still in my act, so it is not up for grabs (yet). It isn't that much different than McComb's, but the wording is mine and the location of the gimmicks and how I switch and the gags leading into it are my own.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 30th, 2005, 6:56 pm

I do have several sets of the silks available.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2005, 7:37 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:

My routine and handling is still in my act, so it is not up for grabs (yet). It isn't that much different than McComb's, but the wording is mine and the location of the gimmicks and how I switch and the gags leading into it are my own.
Good point Pete! There is really nothing unique about the silks. If that were true we could sue divers and dancers for using them. (Or they could sue us!) It is the routine and handling that makes the act the act. It's not the piano we copyright. It's the music!

Hang in there like a rusty fish hook.

Bob
Magic By Sander

dwmagic

Postby dwmagic » August 30th, 2005, 11:33 pm

its listed under Tenyo and it's the color changing silks in a group of 4 items.best dye tube for the routine.

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2005, 7:48 am

Shane-you arecorrect about Faucett Ross ( i have a copy and its not for sale) is correct. I personally use the Klause routine with my own script, but use a palmo ball rather than the dye tube. Rice's will tell me more than you will ever need to know about it and if silks trips your trigger, you cannot get a better bang for your buck.
David

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Shane,

I vote with David on this one. Rice is a bargain at all prices and some form or container (including the Palmo Ball) will ultimately be your weapon of choice.

A critical move that is possible with the containers like the Palmo Ball is to show the palms of both hands empty at once. It can be done with a dye tube but at much greater risk. Who wants to take the stage to expose magic? Not me!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 8th, 2005, 9:35 pm

Check out the dye tube at www.porperoriginals.com
Stay tooned.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » October 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

One doesn't usually associate the name of J.B. Bobo with silk magic, since his lasting masterwork is his tome on Coin Magic, but when I first saw him in performance many, many years ago, his dye tube routine and his blendo moves were etched into my memory. I like clean beginnings and clean endings and in my opinion, his were the best. Every move is natural and makes sense in the context of the routine. I don't know if it was ever written down or filmed.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » October 10th, 2005, 3:48 am

Originally posted by Spellbinder:
I don't know if it was ever written down or filmed.
A broad selection of Bobo's magic was published in the book "The Bobo Magic Show".

It may be worth checking this out based on Spellbinder's recollection of Bobo's performance.

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2005, 10:19 pm

The Stevens Video tape on the GMVL series has a

Bobo tape of them ( Bobo & Wife ) doing a school

show . It's been a long time since I saw it,

seems like there are some silk tricks. Back when

I did Platform, Club , Stage, ect. I used to do

Soft Soap. Haven't seen it in years.....Mike

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » October 19th, 2005, 8:02 pm

I was recently able to acquire a copy of Bobo's The Magic Show book and both the dye tube routine and the blendo routine are in there. In fact, the dye tube handling is in there twice, with variations, because Bobo gives three different school show break-downs that he had performed. This was in the "good old days" before school shows had to make some educational point and could simply be fun.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2005, 9:46 pm

Spellbinder,

Isn't it amazing that the purpose of entertainment was "entertainment"? It was used to raise money for educational purposes.

The government thinks we should lie about it.

Of course, I also remember when the purpose of a school system was education! (As an old university professor (marketing, management and finance) there is proof that this effort is long over.) The emphasis now is "Let's feel good about being ignorant".

Lower standards is a moving target designed for those not going anywhere. It's certainly working!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Bob Sanders is a bit off topic here, but he is so "on the spot" that I have to concur.

As a former college professor myself, I have seen the dumbing down of American students over the years. I attribute it to the "Here's five dollars, leave me alone" selfishness of parents over the last 40 years. As an educator of 30+ years experience, I can say that students don't value an education if their parents don't. Those parents who do value an education often don't care any more if their students cheat to get it, just that their children make the required grades.

I don't want these people to be my doctors, lawyers, mechanics, plumbers, or electricians in the future. Who knows what crucial information they never learned correctly? Certainly they don't!

Just my ranting, which will stand until somebody in authority decides that Bob and I are way off topic and zaps us...

Jon (a saddened but wiser educator)

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2005, 8:25 pm

Originally posted by Mike Walsh II:
The Stevens Video tape on the GMVL series has a

Bobo tape of them ( Bobo & Wife ) doing a school

show . It's been a long time since I saw it,

seems like there are some silk tricks. Back when

I did Platform, Club , Stage, ect. I used to do

Soft Soap. Haven't seen it in years.....Mike
Mike,

I still do a version of Soft Soap (I call Spot Out) I bought from Stephon Johnson in Arkansas (home of Bobo) about 25 years ago. The boxes still have to be custom made. The gimmick, of course, is what I bought from Stephon. His was quite an improvement and I can't say I haven't had my share of problems getting it manufactured. It would seem that for the magicians' silk importer it would be a snap, but it has been anything but that. It has protected the routine for me all these years. I'm sixty now so Lucy and I have agreed that I will make a couple of DVDs and sell my silk routines while I am still young enough to get out and lecture about them. Spot Out will be on them. Today I worked with someone who manufactures my other silk tricks and dove harnesses and was encouraged to learn that it will get into production by Christmas.

One of the real advantages of Spot Out over Soft Soap is that it is in color using real 18" silks instead of men's white handkerchieves with lip stick and ink on them. This routine is actually fun! It also can mesh into other silk routines with the colors the other routines require. For years I have performed it using red, white and blue; red, green, and yellow; or black, orange and yellow; depending on the theme and season. One of the very first of the new ones is purple, pink and yellow. It is a welcomed change. Turquiose will be the new color to follow.

Although we tend to expect it to be a kid trick, it plays even better to adults.

One of the most useful things about silk magic is that it is so visual that language problems in mixed audiences are reduced. The whole audience can have fun.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”