insurance

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

insurance

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2003, 2:02 pm

Hi I was wondering since there are a couple of guys who are full time working magicians, what do you guys do for insurance, like health care.

Since you are self-employed, what health care insurance do you use that isnt really expensive. The reason I am asking is because since I am turning 21 soon, and taking a year off from school, my parents health care coverage wont cover me if I am not in school, and I want to know what opitions are out there for people who are self employed.

Thanks
Amir

Re: insurance

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2003, 3:41 pm

Hi Amir-

Insurance is expensive, and getting worse. When I was in Boston I joined a Small Business Association and bought insurance from them. It wasn't terribly expensive. The good news for you is that health insurance is much cheaper for your age group than for older people with families.

Or, you can avoid paying by marrying someone with full benefits or moving to Canada :)

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2003, 5:12 pm

I am assuming that people who are full time performers and are married get insurance through their spouses job? Since it is expensive as hell to get insurance, also I wont be covered under my parents insurance this year because I will be taking a year off from school, and since I will in independent the insurance company wont cover me.

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » August 4th, 2003, 6:53 pm

I don't know if it is availible in California but, I would contact United Health Care. They insure individuals with deductables between $500- $5,000. I would pick $1,000 as my number. Take this amount and put it away for any health care emergency.
Yes, you could move to Canada and wait 6 months for any surgical procedure. When I lived in Toledo, Ohio we had dozens of Canadians come across the border for health care. They were fed up with waiting for months.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » August 4th, 2003, 7:33 pm

Amir,

In California, Kaiser Permanente has a wide selection of plans for individuals. You definately want to check it out for consideration.

Best,
Michael
Michael Kamen

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2003, 6:07 pm

I am with UNITED HEALTH - and with one employee and his child it costs $1020 per month.

New mortagage anyone???

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”