Smoke In Glass

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Smoke In Glass

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2003, 3:55 pm

I'm currently working on this effect and am having trouble getting the chemical components to interact in order to produce the desired outcome.

Here's my question. Does potassium permanganate or glycerin have a shelf life? Are they subject to spoilage?

I obtained these two chemicals about two-three years ago and have had them sealed in plastic bottles.

After about a dozen attempts it's worked only once. All the other times there's just a mess in the glass that has to be cleaned before the next try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Thanks,

Pete Mills

Pete Biro

Re: Smoke In Glass

Postby Pete Biro » April 5th, 2003, 8:42 pm

I understand Vito Lupo sells a version of this effect. You may be using the wrong stuff???
Stay tooned.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » April 5th, 2003, 9:26 pm

I'm not sure if the chemicals that you are using are the correct ones. I don't recall the effect using potassium permanganate and glycerin. Perhaps someone can check the "Corncobs" chapter of Elliot's Classic Secrets of Magic and chime in. Hydrochloric acid and ammonia stick in my mind as the chemicals used (but certainly please don't try them until someone confirms that I am correct or incorrect).

The version that Vito Lupo sells is a mechanical glass. It does not use the traditional chemical method. It's much safer and surefire.

Frank Yuen

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » April 5th, 2003, 11:28 pm

Pete;
Try ammonia and hydrochloric acid for your two chemicals.
Jim

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 5th, 2003, 11:58 pm

This Genii Forum moderator would highly recommend speaking with a qualified chemist before simply "trying" anything like this. An ounce of prevention can be less hazardous than an ounce of hydrochloric acid.

Dustin

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » April 6th, 2003, 12:10 am

Dustin;
I don't know why I'm getting double posts. On the HCl, only a few drops are used - no where near an ounce :eek:

And yes, everything should be handled with proper precautions.
Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 6th, 2003, 10:09 am

Fred Kaps had the best smoke in glass effect. It was developed for him by a chemist.

That chemist is a member of this forum, and you might leave a post for him.

Who?

Dick Koornwinder. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2003, 11:35 am

As the owner of the Genii Forum I am stating the following:
I think anyone who doesn't have adequate training and supervision has no business handling even the tiniest amounts of dangerous chemicals.
SO DON'T DO IT!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 6th, 2003, 12:08 pm

Pete Mills: The potassium permanganate may have a limited shelf life - the glycerine should be fine. Michael Lair markets this effect with these same chemicals - try sending him your questions... lair@timken.com
I bought the effect from him and have had no problems... works perfectly every time! --Asrah

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2003, 10:10 am

Asrah,

Michael is who I purchased this item from as well.

As to wether these are the proper chemicals- I obtained the secret to the effect from watching a video I recently purchased. I purchased the video long after having purchased the chemicals.

Thanks for the help,

Pete

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2003, 12:32 pm

Another warning about Potassium Permagnate and Glycerline. Under no circumstances put the two together in a small, enclosed container (like corking a test tube) as they are explosive when combined in a sealed container.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft

GAMOLO

Postby GAMOLO » April 7th, 2003, 3:39 pm

Jay Scout Berry has a whole lecture series out using smoke in glass & similar effects....suggest you check with him about some less volatile acidic
ingedients.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”