Flash Costume Change

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Flash Costume Change

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2002, 11:24 pm

A couple days ago I happened to see on TV a pair of Chinese magicians (a man and a woman) performing a stage act where they both flash-changed costumes (and masks) numerous times. At least one change I saw was almost visible with not much cover. Anyway, has anyone else seen this act and knows who they are?

David Acer

Re: Flash Costume Change

Postby David Acer » July 16th, 2002, 7:29 pm

Hi Jackie,

Can't help you with the Chinese duo's name, but if you're looking for info on quick change artists, you may want to do a google and/or yahoo search for Arturo Brachetti. He is, at present, the undisputed master of the craft.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 17th, 2002, 7:16 am

At the recent S.A.M. conention, a pair named (I think) Dania and Daniel did a quick-change act. The amazing finale had the woman's costume change with the only cover being a handful of silver confetti her husband threw in the air over her.

Acer's amazing quick change from bathing suit to silver jockstrap is quite unsettling.

Matt Field

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 17th, 2002, 2:50 pm

I have seen this couples act twice on the Spanish language network UNIVISION. It was very good. Variety shows are quite popular on the UNIVISION network, so you will see a lot of magic acts there - some good, some not so good.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » July 17th, 2002, 3:23 pm

That would be David and Dania. They also do halftime shows at various NBA games. I've seen them five or six times and here's a head's up on something to keep your eye out for. Early in the act Dania's hair color changes as well as her outfit. I missed it the first few times I saw the act. Very nice people too!

In regards to the original post, there is a movie about a Chinese street performer that shows the mask act. It's called "King of Masks".

arnoldq

Postby arnoldq » July 23rd, 2002, 11:14 am

Originally posted by David Acer:
Hi Jackie,

you may want to do a google and/or yahoo search for Arturo Brachetti. He is, at present, the undisputed master of the craft.
I think that David is completely right.
Arturo Brachetti is absoluty the best one on this field.... not only because it is an italian guy!
He is performing the last show since 1999 with more than 8 months of sold out theatre in Paris where he got the "Moliere Award 2000" for the best One Man show of the year in Paris.He rediscover the art of quick-change following the gesture of Fregoli.
He is a really good magician but all the efforts of the last years was spent on quick changing shows. I think in this period he is somewhere in America with the last show.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 1:02 pm

Brachetti is a genius.

His 3-Armed Violin Player is... well, think about it...

His "Flying" without a rig of wires that he can do in many small venues is a miracle...

I wish he wasn't so successful so we could book him here for a convention!

I think he still has a web site...

:cool: :cool:
Stay tooned.

arnoldq

Postby arnoldq » July 23rd, 2002, 1:25 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Brachetti is a genius.

I think he still has a web site...

:cool: :cool:
Yes, it is very easy to find his site, and is possible to download three or four of his changing all acted in few seconds.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2002, 1:28 pm

Arturo Brachetti will be appearing at the Merriam Theatre in Philly in February 2003, for those who live in that area and want to see him.

arnoldq

Postby arnoldq » July 23rd, 2002, 1:56 pm

Originally posted by Jackie H:
A couple days ago I happened to see on TV a pair of Chinese magicians (a man and a woman) performing a stage act where they both flash-changed costumes (and masks) numerous times. At least one change I saw was almost visible with not much cover. Anyway, has anyone else seen this act and knows who they are?
I tried to find more information about the chinese couple of magician but I didn't find anything. May be that were they russian?
There is a show of "David and Dania" and they played in the FISM of Dresda, but I am not sure we are talking about the same people.
About Brachetti I think the tournee in North America will touch more than one place in 2003.
Is possible to find all the dates in his site.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 3:17 pm

ArnoldQ... where in Italy are you? I hope to be in and around Firenze in Sept.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2002, 3:23 pm

Originally posted by Arnoldq:
I tried to find more information about the chinese couple of magician but I didn't find anything. May be that were they russian?
There is a show of "David and Dania" and they played in the FISM of Dresda, but I am not sure we are talking about the same people.
About Brachetti I think the tournee in North America will touch more than one place in 2003.
Is possible to find all the dates in his site.
I'm very sure they are Asians. The costumes and masks were Chinese traditional.

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » July 23rd, 2002, 5:55 pm

I went to Shanghai in 1995 and while there, saw an act that was based almost entirely on flash costume changes. It could have been the same couple....and they were asian. From what I recall they did not do anything with masks....this was before the movie "King of Masks" came out so I'm not surprised. When I read what was previously written, I strongly suspect I saw the act that was described.

I could have been mistaken, but Julianna Chen may have been performing too. As there was a woman whose act consisted of the production of what seemed to be hundreds of cards.

Sorry I don't have the name of the couple, but we may be inching closer to finding out who they were.
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

arnoldq

Postby arnoldq » July 23rd, 2002, 10:43 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
ArnoldQ... where in Italy are you? I hope to be in and around Firenze in Sept.
I'm living in North Italy, in the countryside of Milan.....
but I am working in Dubai, so it is very difficult you'll find me in Septmber here.
But you have my mail so, please, tell me in advance about your travel and may be I'll be available.

arnoldq

Postby arnoldq » July 24th, 2002, 4:28 am

Originally posted by Jackie H:

[/QB]
Sorry I didn't pay enough attention to the answer of Matthew Field on 17/07/02.
He introduced Daniel (not David) and Dania at first, before my mail.
I read very fast the previous mails.
Furthermore I don't know the netiquette for this forum ( I am very fresh) and so may be that sometime i could make mistake.
If any, please tell me, I could learn very fast...!!!! Thanks.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Bill Wheeler:
I went to Shanghai in 1995 and while there, saw an act that was based almost entirely on flash costume changes. It could have been the same couple....and they were asian.

Sorry I don't have the name of the couple, but we may be inching closer to finding out who they were.
Bill, I think it's them. Hopefully someone in this forum from China/HongKong can tell us their names. It's a great act.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”