Whit Haydn's Teleportation Device

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2002, 11:09 am

I am considering buying this Effect/Routine marketed by Whit Haydn. I would like to hear from anyone who has personal experience (either performing or seeing) this routine. I want to add it to my short stage show. It reads like a wonderful routine (don't they all!?!) but it is kind of on the pricey side. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bob

magic@rushmore.com :rolleyes:

Re: Whit Haydn's Teleportation Device

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2002, 2:49 pm

I have great experience with this routine, having performed it hundreds of times, mostly for corporate stage shows. This routine is Gold! On the magic/fooling people level it is of course perfect; The effect is incredible and by combining 2 entirely different methods and a variety of other presentation ideas, it throws people entirely off the track. That's not the most important part for me though. Its the extraordinarily entertainment value I get from it-judged by audience reaction, and the lasting impression it makes on them. This seems to be both because of the routine and because of the high fascination the machine itself holds. It doesn't take great comic skill to get a ton of laughs from this routine; the comedy is built right into the situation. For example, the moments of just standing there, pointing this flashing/ beeping/igniting thing across the stage brings the house down. I'm always amazed at the thinking Whit Haydn puts behind his effects; for me, there is no one better at getting inside an audience's mind, seducing it,and then exploding it with an unexplainable magic punch. Actually, I take this all back. Let me say the tricks no good; Cause really I don't want anyone else doing it.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2002, 10:20 am

Howard,
I did buy Whit's Teleportation Device, I'm still in the practicing, (video taping) stage right now. The problem I'm having is that the batteries only last for 2 or 3 ignitions. Is this what you are experiencing? Also the circuit boards inside came loose in shipping and I had to re-mount them. Any tips or personal advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob
magic@rushmore.com
:D

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 2:12 pm

As I explained in our private email, the Hocus-Pocus people will be glad to either refund, or to fix or replace any defective prop, including the Teleportation Device, which I believe is extremely well made.

I have been using the Hocus-Pocus product in my shows for some time now, and have been very happy with it. It is superior to the original model, and has been very reliable.

The batteries should be Coppertop Duracells. These have more amps than the energizers and other popular nine-volt batteries. It makes a huge difference, and I get twenty or more performances from these batteries.

I hope you enjoy the routine. It has been a mainstay of my cruise ship performances for twenty years, and because of the the fire and liquid, really fills the stage even in a large theater. It is a real fooler, and one that people talk about for a long time.

The comedy is practically built in, coming from the situation and the prop as well as the psuedo-scientific approach. You should watch the video tape carefully, though, as there are a lot of really useful tips and performance hints that are easily overlooked in a first time viewing, but will be helpful in the long run.

All the best,

Whit Haydn

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 2:42 pm

Thanks Whit. I posted this before I had e-mailed you. The Duracell batteries are working much better. It is a great and complex routine. The details you include on the video and the structure of the entire routine are priceless. I am working hard to include it in a show on the 5th of December. Thanks again. Bob :D

magic@rushmore.com

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2002, 9:21 am

Wow! I recently did my first shows where I included the TP Device. What a tremendous response! The second show was for a bank with about 550 attendees. I used the TP Device for my next to last effect for this show. I killed with it!
The awesome part is, the gentleman that loaned me the bill was the spouse of one of the bankers. After the show he came up and said, "I'd pay to see that dollar in the egg again." Now I had recently raised my fees for this holiday season and I thought that I've been pushing the limit, I don't know why, but when he said that, and gave me his date I quoted him double what I have been quoting, the timing was right. Done! I picked up the deposit that Monday. That is power in action! (I even forgot to burn the edges of the bill in the lemon, it didn't matter.)
I cannot give a higher recommendation than to say that the Whit Haydn Teleportation Device routine is the most well thought out, polished and hard hitting routine I have ever seen in action! The routine's cost versus value for me is as follows - 4 shows with 3 add-on bookings at the show; the confidence to raise my prices (second time this season) for shows that include the TP Device. It is a winner!
Bob
bob@bhmagic.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 26th, 2002, 4:39 pm

When using a device that used batteries, Al Koran used new batteries for every performance.

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 1:36 pm

Thanks Quentin, that's a good idea. I have essentially been doing that and maybe it's the best plan.

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2003, 1:54 pm

Thanks for your great review, Bob. I find that I can count on getting at least 10 shows off one set of copper tops. If the show is very important, I don't take any chances and use new batteries, as mentioned above, but normally I can count on at least 10 shows. Each antennae is slightly different in its resistance (length and thickness of heating element, etc.) so it pays to do some experimenting with your own machine, but if you can repeatedly get fifteen or twenty charges off one set of batteries (normal), then you should be able to count on getting at least ten charges off one set.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2003, 10:50 pm

In digital cameras that eat batteries we found NIMH (nickle metal hydrate) batteries not only outlasted any others by about 10 times, but were rechargeable.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2003, 8:15 am

Thanks for the replys about the batteries. I do use fresh batteries for each show and have had no problems with the unit working then, it was mainly while I was rehearsing/practicing. If I tried to rehearse 10 routines in a day I had to change batteries half way through. Now that I have a pretty good handle on the routine, I'll only do one or two run-throughs, without firing the FP, before a show. I love the effect!

PS - I wear hearing aids and I always put in fresh batteries before I perform, strolling or stage. So I have no problem with using new batteries in the TPD for each show.
Bob
bob@bhmagic.com

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2003, 11:18 am

Pete suggestion for NIMH (Pete Biro's Secret of NIMH) may be good, I haven't tried them. But for alkaline 9 volt batteries, be sure to use the Coppertops. I usually get a pretty good run with them.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 31st, 2003, 11:04 pm

Mr. Happens... you know Staples on Sunset and Wilcox? Well, down Wilcox one or two stores is a battery specialty store... check it out!

Whit Happens :p

BTW, thanks for the nice words here and elsewhere. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2003, 12:23 am

The nice words just slipped out, Biro. I have been sick and must've been a little tired...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 1st, 2003, 10:40 pm

Your teleportation device arrived, I put too strong a battery in and I find I am now in Driggs, Idaho. How do I get back? :confused:
Stay tooned.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 1st, 2003, 11:52 pm

While you're in Idaho, maybe you could stop by Busby's and give our best regards.

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2003, 5:50 am

You guys be careful with those things. Seabrooke has one, and he has begun to lose track of where he is...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 2nd, 2003, 10:09 am

Whit... so, you're outta work too, eh? :D :p :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2003, 1:23 pm

Yeah. Being on the board this much is a dead giveaway. ;)

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”