Opinions needed!!!

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Opinions needed!!!

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2008, 10:31 am

I know someone who I can buy a book called Magic, Scientific Diversions and Stage Illusions for ten bucks.

If anyone has bought or read this book please let me know if it is worth picking up.

Thanks.

JDC

Re: Opinions needed!!!

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2008, 11:56 am

Well I never read this book , but my advise to you is:When you have a chanse to get a book for magic and its gust 10 dollars take that chanse.There is not enough literature about magic!I think you have to read and watch everythink you can get. ;)

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2008, 12:03 pm

I agree with Don for the most part but there are a lot of good magic books on Amazon.com for cheap too.. I would say it also depends on what your magic book library has and your particular interets are but in the final analysis 10 bucks is cheap esp. if it's a hardcover...

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Those were my thoughts exactly and that is why I impulsively bought it before you guys responded to the post. I just took a long look at it and it was well worth the price.

This book has hundreds of pictures and illustrations and a lot of old magic methods explained. Not a whole lot of magic I would perform unless I got into stage magic. It will definitely have a place in my library.

JDC

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 8th, 2008, 1:12 pm

There are several editions out there of this book which was written by Albert Hopkins in the 19th century. If you are getting a paperback book, its a Dover reprint (which Im pretty sure is no longer in their catalog, so that means its out of print and $10 is about right).

If its a hardbound edition, its likely an Arno Press edition from the late 1970s as this is a pretty common edition. If its in good (or better) condition, $10 is a great price.

If, for $10, you are getting an 1897 first edition, thank your lucky stars!

The value of this book is not in what you might find to perform, but what you will learn in terms of the principles of stage illusion.

Dustin

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Originally posted by Dustin Stinett:
There are several editions out there of this book which was written by Albert Hopkins in the 19th century. If you are getting a paperback book, its a Dover reprint (which Im pretty sure is no longer in their catalog, so that means its out of print and $10 is about right).
I couldn't find it in the current Dover catalog either, which surprised me. We do have a few new copies of the most recent Dover printing (1990) in stock at the published price of only $16.95:
Hopkins MAGIC on H & R Site

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”