Henning's Miser's Dream

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Henning's Miser's Dream

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2007, 5:40 pm

The best presentation I have ever seen of the Miser's Dream was by Doug Henning! He performed the routine beautifully and projected his usual wonder and awe at his own magic! :) Any other thoughts on this classic trick?
Paul Pacific

Pete Biro

Re: Henning's Miser's Dream

Postby Pete Biro » April 2nd, 2007, 10:16 pm

Al Flosso, Charlie Miller and Jeff McBride.
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 2nd, 2007, 11:38 pm

Teller, in a small venue, like the old Phoenix Theater in San Francisco where I first saw him do it during the AVCS days.

Dustin

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2007, 11:45 pm

Yes, Dustin, I would imagine Teller would have a nice presentation of the Dream based on what I know of his skill!

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 6:01 am

Billy Bishop and Al Flosso.

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 9:50 am

Hands down, Frakson. As a poll in an old Linking Ring reported, Frakson was listed by the respondents as doing two of the top ten effects: the Miser's Dream and the Rising Cards.

The details of his routine, the little things that make it work so well, have never been published.

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 9:52 am

My friend Ed Taytelbaum told me this:

THE BEST MISERS DREAM PERFORMERS I HAVE SEEN ARE : ALBERT LEBAS, GOGIA PASHA AND PATRICK PAGE. Eddy.

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 10:18 am

Does he always shout?

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 4:55 am

That's Almost as loud as his Jackets :D

I know others have said it all ready, but you really do have to go a long way to beat Pat Pages misers dream.
And, John Lenahan does a mean one too.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 4th, 2007, 5:15 am

If you are interested in John Lenahan's Miser's Dream you should pop over to http://www.prestidigital.tv/ and order issue one, which has an excerpt from John's 1985 lecture video teaching the routine.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 6:18 am

I Have issue 1. :)

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Yes, Frakson had a wonderful routine! Henning's, to me, was the most magical! :)

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Henning had the hands, those long fingers and flexible palms were made for either playing the piano or doing magic.

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 9:55 pm

Oh I agree completely, Spellbinder. His entire approach to magic was reflected in every trick he performed. He looked as amazed and filled with wonder as the rest of his audience.
His style was refreshing for his time and very different from today's TV performers.

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Teller did the Miser's Dream when he was working the Texas Renaissance Festival. He had a couple of ideas in it that I had never seen anyone else do before or since.

It was an excellent routine.

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 9:37 am

Can you give us an idea what Teller's ideas were?

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » April 5th, 2007, 2:14 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same routine as the one you saw at the renaissance fair, but this is an essay written by Teller a while ago about the development of an elaborate (and beautiful) miser's dream.

Grant

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 5th, 2007, 3:23 pm

Thanks for the LINK, very interisting. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Hey Vegas guys/ friends of Teller:
Is the miser's dream/goldfish trick not in the current show? I feel honored to have Mr. Thompson tell me about it shortly before seeing Teller perform it. It was breathtakingly wonderful, even knowing what was coming.

Mark

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 8:21 am

A legendary Miser's Dream was performed in the Uk for many years by Sheik Ben Ali.(Real name Mohari Ali 1906 to 1978) I first saw him, when I was a boy on Blackpool's Golden Mile. This was a long part of Blackpool seaside Promenade, which resembled an American Midway with every kind of sideshow for the passers by. He used, at that time, a square biscuit tin and had lines like 'Nobody inside, Nobody outside'. it was fast furious and very funny. The only other performer I've seen ( alas on video) obtaining this much comedy from The dream was the breath taking Al Flosso.
Pat Page's book on the real version of miser's Dream is a must for anyone who essays the effect.

Was Doug Henning's ever in his TV Shows ( I'm 2 missing of these)or on video ? Please.
Allen Tipton UK

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”