Breather Crimp

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Breather Crimp

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2002, 1:50 pm

I want to do a card trick that calls for a Breather Crimp. I know it's a special type of "pyramid" crimp put in a card but I don't know how to do it. Would someone help me out? Thanks!

Bill Duncan

Re: Breather Crimp

Postby Bill Duncan » January 21st, 2002, 6:19 pm

Hold the card face up with both thumbs in the center of the face of the card. On the other side of the card make contact with your first and second fingers so that you have six pressure points. Each thumb should press in between the tips of the hand's finger tips.

Drag your thumbs from the center outward towards the corners of the card. Repeat this action from the center to the other corners.

The pressure of your thumbs pushing between the tips of your first and second fingertips will create a ditch-like indent in the card. Doing so twice creates a nice X shaped crimp that can be detected when you know to look for it.

When the card is in the center of the deck the weight of the other cards flattens it down. When it is cut to the top of a packet it slowly 'pop up' in an movement that looks like it the deck is taking a deep breath.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2002, 6:48 pm

Martin A. Nash has a crimp which he calls Infinity which is very clever and quite cagy in the way you easily put in the work as you spread the cards. This crimp will do most of the work of the breather.

Be warned: breather and Infinity crimps work most of the time but sometime will fail.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2002, 7:49 pm

Bob King has a great little pamphlet called "The Breather-the Ultimate Crimp"..there are about 10 routines using the breather crimp in the booklet...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 21st, 2002, 9:54 pm

The Koornwinder Kard Kontrol beats the breather any time... in my opinion. I never own a deck without it.

To make: Take a picture card, lay on table face up.

Mix up some epoxy resin glue and put a minute dab on each corner of the frame line, and then a little bigger dab in the dead center of the card.

Make sure it is REALLY DRY before you add it to a deck of cards.

You can't miss.

You can have spectator's cut the deck and more often than not they will cut to it.

Many many appliations possible. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 21st, 2002, 10:18 pm

Ted Lesley's excellent book "Paramiracles" has a section on different types of cards that work like a breather (including the breather, Koornwinder, Will De Sieve), and several excellent routines using them.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 21st, 2002, 11:39 pm

For my money the Will De Sieve gimmick is the best worker...

Set it up so that it cuts to the bottom of the talon and you can have a spec. cut the pack and hand you half. You can tell they've hit the work without looking at the deck... Just run a finger along the face of the card.

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2002, 9:01 am

Thanks, everybody, for the help with my question about the Breather Crimp. It was all very helpful. Now I need to get to work on it! :)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”