cardboard signatures

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Countelmsley

cardboard signatures

Postby Countelmsley » November 29th, 2005, 11:49 am

Im beginning to lose some sleep:

I perform regularly and I have my cards signed all the time. I do magic in a restaurant where I kinda repeat the same things over and over again. Nowadays I often perform tricks which require a deckswitch,(in a flash, color changing deck, marked deck, whatever..)So every once in a while, (quite often, actually) someone will pick the same card in the "cooler" as they or somebody else at the same table picked and signed a few moments before!

So...ackward moment to say the least... Murphy's law in action... "didnt I pick the same card and signed it earlier?!" I usually say that its possible that I have a couple of identical cards because I make up my decks of old decks and that is why I always have my cards signed so their signed card is the only one even though they may be another card just like it and bla bla..." Pretty weak and distractful in the middle of the thing.

I used to figure if it happened once in a while it would be ok but it happens a whole lot, surprinsingly! What should I do? I thought about having stickers signed and then stick them on the selections and taking them right off after the effect but it seems to be a waste of precious time in the middle of a performance...

So...I dont know. I AM going crazy. Thinking of retiring. Any ideas? Thanks.

Seb
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Scott Fridinger

Re: cardboard signatures

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 29th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Ok how about this.

You have had a signed card picked and removed. Now you do the deck switch and before performing the next trick you do a quick look through the deck and shuffle, in the process you cull the previously signed card to the bottom, or second to the bottom if you get a spectator who wants to grab at the bottom card, and in doing so you can ensure they do not pick that card you have culled.

Just a thought.

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » November 29th, 2005, 12:39 pm

How about saying "the truth"... you complete the missing cards with cards from another deck because you need always a complete deck ...

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 29th, 2005, 1:50 pm

Originally posted by Jacky Kahan:
How about saying "the truth"... you complete the missing cards with cards from another deck because you need always a complete deck ...

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be
The only problem I see with this is that you are doing the deck switch so they don't think the deck has changed. If you continue to do the effect and all of a sudden a 4 of clubs is there again, when did you put it in there, if you use your idea posted. I guess you could always say you got another one in there by magic...

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » November 29th, 2005, 2:20 pm

You're right... but you're also a magician :) (joke)

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 29th, 2005, 4:03 pm

Scott said;

you cull the previously signed card to the bottom, or second to the bottom if you get a spectator who wants to grab at the bottom card, and in doing so you can ensure they do not pick that card you have culled.
------------

Yeah this would be the most simple way and I thought about that , but then I' d have to remember and keep track of up to 4 signed cards sometimes, then do the switch and toy some more with the deck so... not really practical, for me. I also cannot always cull the cards to the bottom (as in "in a flash") because I have a certain set-up which I dont want to destroy... I may be thinking too much, I tell you!

I was thinking of using blank-facers everytime I have a card signed and give them away afterwards, but then... It kind of kills the whole spontaneity of the thing, dont you think? And you cant say "you have your signed card somewhere in here, I dont know what it is...."

As for saying that I replace the cards with some old cards, thats kind of what I say when I get caught. But I'm trying to eliminate the whole problem altogether.

Does anybody else have the same problem? Or am I too picky?

Thanx for the replies.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2005, 7:28 am

Seb,
your not too picky, just trying to perfect your art.

Blank faced cards always worked for me. Any time I want to do a "Signed Card" effect, I would take out a Blank faced card from my pocket/wallet or anywhere else you may store a blank card, hand it to the spec, and make some joke about ruining too many decks with this trick.

I would ask them to either sign there name, or draw something that would make the card unique to them. Then lose it in the deck and proceed with the effect............

And of course, let them keep the card as a souvenier.

Chris

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2005, 8:08 am

Seb,
there might be some way, but also this depends on how often you perform the same routine in one set/evening..
If you 'solely' perform it 4 times (as you mentioned you had to keep track of 4 cards in another solution) the following option is doable.

Use 4 dif. cards, and those cards are already removed from all the decks you use/switch in.

Then, from your normal deck, force any of those 4 cards, it's easy the first time, as you have 4 to start off with..after the selection is signed, let them keep it, and as your switch in the next deck, it doesn't contain that card, everything is OK.

Next time -at another board-, force one of the 3 cards you have ready..aso.

Also, this is good practise re classicforcing cards.. :)

Unless you're a real purist, round the top left and bottom right corner of these 4 face down cards in your normal deck a bit more, solely so you can always *cull* them by a corner riffle with the left thumb to locate them and get-ready for a force..it doesn't matter which one of the 4 you use, first 4, then 3, then 2 and then the last one..always ready to locate *a* card you want to force..

Maybe it sounds a bit too complicated, but it is a solution (though not THE best, but it works), unless you do your set more then 4 to 6 times and have to remove too many cards from your decks..

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 30th, 2005, 11:20 am

Hey,

Well, Werner, the problem is ; I dont want to give the signed cards away in my regular deck because...well, i' ll be missing some cards and thats not too practical... But the idea was good... Plus, I meant I have maybe 4 cards signed and selected PER table and I probably do 20 tables a night!!I think I' ll definitely go with the blank facers suggestion thats been mentioned. I mean, If Chris Christo can do it... Just kidding, chris! I dont even know what I mean!

But now...another problem arises... When I do my hit-double lift, I sometimes have trouble when a blank-facer is involved due to its slightly different size! Ho well...! I' ll use a get-ready then... ;)

Thanx all,
Seb

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 30th, 2005, 11:49 am

How about not having so many cards signed? Maybe come up with other types of give aways.

Howerver, the blank cards sounds like the best idea let us know how it works for you!! Good luck.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2005, 11:52 am

:)
It's news to me, that a blankfacer has a different size :)
In any case, good luck...having 4 cards selected per table?
I always thought, move in fast and powerfull, move out even faster, whilst their jaws not yet have recovered... :D , and then off to the next table..4 cards selected and signed?
Reminds me of Carl Cloutier, and that was a he** of a trick he did...
I wouldn't be sure all 4 ppl could remember their card (good they are signed :) ), after all, I suppose, they are having a fun evening with a couple of drinks/vine...??

Once again, good luck...

Hmm...must be a he** of a trick... ;)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 30th, 2005, 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
...I do magic in a restaurant where I kinda repeat the same things over and over again. Nowadays I often perform tricks which require a deckswitch,(in a flash, color changing deck, marked deck, whatever..)So every once in a while, (quite often, actually) someone will pick the same card in the "cooler" as they or somebody else at the same table picked and signed a few moments before!...
I had to think about this for a while.

Then I remembered my frustration doing card magic on tables, the sticky hands, food and spillage issues...

Adding to that, the smell of a sharpie pen, I wonder if it is so useful to have cards selected and signed in that venue. Perhaps the signing could be done just once for the finale?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 30th, 2005, 7:43 pm

Werner,
dont tell me you never did the "4 mercury-folded signed cards to mouth?" Killer trick...

Actually I MAY have up to 4 cards signed but I was only making a point; its usually 1 or 2, in two different tricks. Unless Im beeing asked to stay and do something else. 1 signature for my Ambitious and 1 more for a card to pocket-wallet or whatever and combining the two effects. But I agree, you cant waste any time while people sign their card.You just keep driving. I usually open with some sort of quick 2 card transpo, then an Ambitious, and finish with either David Acer's Nomen Omen (greatly recommended!)or In a flash.

Thats right, only cards! :cool: I may throw in the rubber band thing once in awhile.

And Jonathan, the pleasant odor of the Sharpie is half the point, my friend. :p And you HAVE to get those cards signed sometimes, dont you? An Ambitious routine without a signature is like...aaa...well its like something.

I dont mind much the restaurant environment; I' ve never had any big problems; I keep the cards in my hands and keep off the waitress' s feet. But I do get the occasionnal 10 year old who just WANTS to sign that card and it takes forever..Goooood help me...

And the blank-facers I usually get at my local shop are usually a hair smaller or larger than regular cards. But its not really a big deal, is it? I wont lose any sleep over THAT. But now that I think of it...

Seb

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2005, 12:02 am

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
..... 1 signature for my Ambitious and 1 more for a card to pocket-wallet or whatever and combining the two effects....
Seb,
the above example *invites* to just let select and sign a single card and do the ACR and finish with the CTW.. :)

Just one example here, where 2 signed cards can be replaced by a single one..it's also less confusing to the specs, they solely have to remember a single card (even if and when it's signed).
Just a thought...

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » December 1st, 2005, 8:15 pm

Werner,

Just think it might be a bit more impressive to the specs: I do an ambitious routine then at the end I bury the card in the deck saying "Lets do something else, all right?" I have another card selected and then I load the ambitious card in wallet while getting the sharpie to sign this last card. I then do Carlyle's (I believe) version of card to pocket. When its done, as an afterthought, I say I'll do the same thing with the previous signed card (watch my hands carefully so I dont cheat...". When the card is NOT found in the pocket: "Ho I get it; it actually did go up my sleeve but got caught in the middle...." Then I reveal the ambitious card in the wallet.
Great reaction, all the time! Good time misdirection, too.

S.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2005, 1:07 am

Seb, admitted!
Sounds good thought out...

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » December 13th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Well, all I' m using are blank-facers now. I'm finally able to sleep. Its a nice opportunity to use the Erdnase color-change to get the blank to appear from a regular card.

Thanx for the advices,
S.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”