Dean's Triangle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Dean's Triangle

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 3:49 pm

Dean Dills newest creation is called Deans Triangle.

Deans been working on this for about 3 years. Ive had the privilege of seeing the effect gradually evolve, continually improving with each innovation and refinement. Originally it started as a basic coins through the table routine but today it has evolved into a signature piece of close up magic.

The prop consists of a triangular table on a stand. Its made by Doug Malloy and Joe Porper. Also included are special coins hand crafted by Jamie Schoolcraft. The coin gaffs are uniquely designed for this effect.

The effect: three coins penetrate the table in four phases, each penetration more amazing and visual than the previous one. In the last two phases, the coins appear to visually pass though a clear Plexiglas surface in a fair and open manner. In fact, the performers hands are shown empty before and after each phase.

For those of you who have not yet seen Deans Triangle, he has a demo video on his website at http://www.deandill.com/triangle.html

Im wondering how many of you out there have seen or own this effect. Im also wondering if anyone has developed an variations they would like to share with the group.

Re: Dean's Triangle

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 4:33 pm

I edited the video, and I can honestly say that if you think the demo looks good, you should see it in person! Watching this routine in person just makes me happy.

I remember when I first saw Jim Lewis perform his "visable coins through the glass table" on his "Million Dollar Mysteries" tape. It was an amazing routine.

Dean's Triangle not only improves the method (the effect is easier, and more visual), but also makes the "coins thru glass table" routine PORTABLE.

One of my favorite things about visiting Dean's Shoppe is watching him fool everyone badly with this routine. Its amazing to me that such a nice guy can be so SNEAKY.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 3rd, 2007, 6:21 pm

Joe... you hit it... watching Dean totally FRY those that roll in to see some magic is one of the treats. (Next to Dean cutting yur hair)! Which I shall have done tomorrow.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 7:34 pm

Wonder how many Triangles Dean has sold to date. I am happy with my No. 19, but might get a second Triangle (and rest the early number to my collection). Would love to see new ideas on the Triangle come out. Perhaps, in good time, any new ideas can be gathered into some video or printed form for owners.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 3rd, 2007, 7:42 pm

I dont mean to strike any kind of sour note, but what I am most curious about is how many folks who make a living performing close-up magic have purchased this and use it in their performances.

Dustin
(Proud owner of a Deans Box.)

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » April 3rd, 2007, 8:00 pm

I had the pleasure of seeing the Triangle performed several times this past Saturday and it was amazing! Very cool!

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 1:55 am

man, love that last coin penetration on the demo!

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 7:43 am

Hi Joe,

You're right, the video does not do the effect justice - please take no offense. But I struggled with the idea of posting the link.

WARNING: don't anyone look at the link if there is any chance you can visit with Dean and see it in person first.

We've all seen Dean fry some great maagicians with this. I only wish I was there they day he showed it ty Cyril. Pete, were you there that day?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 4th, 2007, 8:54 am

Yep.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 11:21 am

Dustin,

I understand where you're coming from:

Some pros will never be comfortable with having a "prop" in their show. Often to the extent their act will feature only common, everyday objects.

Others look at this and see a stylish, elegant performance piece... a worthy closer to a fine close-up act.

Personally, I think Dean's Triangle is a perfect choice for the working pro. Why?
1. It's a fooler
2. It isn't being done by everyone else
3. It's practical, portable, and solidly built

Coins thru glass table is an incredible effect. But since you have to haul a patio table in your car to your gigs... most pros will NEVER do it.

Now you can.

PS. I don't work for Dean and I have nothing to gain here. (and I don't own Dean's box ;-)

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Dean usually has a set up at the semi-annual Magic Castle Swap Meet where he does demo's of his great stuff.

Next MC Swap Meet is just around the corner on April 14th. I'm sure many will be hoping he will have his Triangle ready for show on that day.

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Dean currently has back orders on this item but everyone has said it's worth the wait. Dean might chime in on the Swap Meet.

I bought my Triangle (number 1) because of my pure love of the prop and routine. I performed it for a paying gig for the first time last February. This is a very special piece, ideal for an encore performance. I was very pleased with my audience's reaction!

My mission in magic is to instill child like wonder and amazement through illusions. This routine fufills that promise. I still enjoy watching it myself.

Joe's right on with his remark. This is a very unique routine. People will remember the coin through glass. Becuase of it's price you won't see everyone doing it. That's a bonus!

BTW, the prop utilizes several very sneaky and clever principals that cannot be duplicated by using an ordinary glass table. The beauty is the prop looks totally innocent and is never suspected. wait till you see it!

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Jamie Schoolcraft brought one of these to last year's TAOM convention and demo'ed it. It is quite impressive!

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 11:02 pm

I saw Dean perform this in it's early stages, it was great then, but his current handling makes it even better. This is a great effect.
Well done.

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 5:34 am

I got mine and my explosion at the same time 2 weeks ago... incredible.... dean really took care of me and thnak him for it...

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 6:56 am

how is this effect portable, when i thought it was portable i was thinking the legs maybe folded up into the base or something like that, well they don't, this would become portable if you also carried a screwdriver around with you :D

i was disappointed

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 7:25 am

Darren, I understand your point. As a general rule you won't want disassemble the table and reassemble it. You can of course, if you were traveling - and it only takes a couple of minutes to assemble. That said, It's far more portable than a large gaffed table like Cyril would use. So that sense, it is portable.

I have made a harnass that straps it to my body for use in strolling gigs... I might be marketing it soon. (just kidding - it's a running joke I have with Dean)

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 9:06 am

that's very sexy.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 5th, 2007, 9:28 am

Jay Marshall used to have a close up system for "walk around" like a tray on a neck strap, similar to the old "cigarette girls" in Las Vegas.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 10:26 am

Exactly my idea Pete!

I'll stroll around the room in a short skirt,
"Cigars, Cigarettes, coin through the table"?

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 10:38 am

"Cards? Coins? Sponge balls?"

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 10:36 pm

I saw this Triangle about 2 years ago in the "progress" and it was quite good - I can imagine how much better it is now

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Reviews ...as if Dean really needed any :D

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Dean had crowds all around him while he demo'd at the Magic Castle Swap Meet this morning. Hard to believe but his Triangle does look even better live vs. video as described earlier in this thread. Pricey but beautiful.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 14th, 2007, 10:17 pm

It was good to see Dean back in action. This was his first demo (outside his shoppe) since the accident.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 12:25 am

Can this be done with any 10" triangular portable glass top table?

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2007, 9:36 am

Not really Joe. I suppose you could try to reverse engineer the prop, but Dean's design is very ingenous and I cannot elaborate further without giving away the work.

I can tell you this: There are at least 3 clever design features that were discoverd through years of experimentation and tweaking of the design.

Not only is the table specially gaffed, but the coins are as well. Jamie Schoolcraft deigned 2 special coins that facilitate the effect.

There are lots of coin through the table effects, but this one is really different.

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2007, 9:44 am

For anyone looking for an extremely visual coins-thru-table, check out David Harkey's "Heavy Metal", if you can find it. It was available years ago, but it's hard to come by now.

I does use a gaffed coin, and Jamie makes one that's perfect for it. The coins are isolated beneath a glass and pass through the table (any table) visibly.

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2007, 10:05 am

There have been gaffed coins through glass counter and tabletops for about twenty five years now. Published routines by James Lewis and David Neighbors and others... some using a gravity Flipper coin instead of the folding coin (as shown by David Roth) and others using shells etc.

The use of a specialty sculpture makes this item different. I'm sure the competent coinmen who get the props will find other ways to use them, perhaps adding in elements from John Kennedy's Visible coins to cup with some handlings where the coins are isolated under the bowl and penetrate from there. Almost makes me wish I had one just to have as a showpiece at home.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 16th, 2007, 11:23 am

JT... yes it is a good "showpiece" as well as a finely crafted gaffed little table. What Dean had built into this is diabolical (and simple) for sure.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2007, 2:43 pm

I would never get $850 out of something like that but like all of Dean's stuff, it's extremely cool!

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » April 20th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I guess no one saw what I saw (or my wife saw)
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Okay, Ill say it: I was under-whelmed when I saw it at the swap meet.

I have tremendous respect for Dean: No doubt about it, hes a creative guy.

But its creative aspects aside, this thing leaves me flat. What I see is a mostly impractical prop.

Its not something your average close-up guy can carry around. It would have to be placed on a cart or something. In any event, I think it will be seen as a special prop and raise suspicion.

I also question the notion of dismantling and rebuilding the thing for travel. Is the hardware designed to be taken apart and put back together time and again? I suspect that it was made to be left together. Constant unscrewing can quickly wear out threading if its not specifically designed to take it.

But thats just me. Like everything else, it must be evaluated on your needs as a performer of magic.

Dustin

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 20th, 2007, 5:00 pm

At the price point and skill required this is not for the masses, and Dean didn't figure it to be. It is perfect for certain kinds of performers/venues and that's all you could wish for.

I do know one gentleman bought three of them, one for his office, one for home and one as a gift!

He also bought another of Dean's Boxes.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Can this be done with any 10" triangular portable glass top table? Does it have to be triangular, or would an octagon be okay?

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Hey Joe -

Actually, the original WAS an octagon but the spectators got confused with all the "Bermuda Octagon" patter. Dean then tried a trapezoid, but the proportions of the prop caused two customers to slowly go insane.

And I really DON'T want to discuss the whole "Dean's Dodecahedron" debacle!

Anyway I'd stick w/ the triangle.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2007, 3:09 pm

Joe you crack me up. Funny you didn't mention Dean's tetrahedron. That one showed some promise but it was too angley.

All seriousness aside, those who ask can they do this with any table... they should try it and see. They will find the final effect is impossible without Deans design.

Again, this is a very diabolical routine on many levels. And like everything Dean does... really well thought out.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2007, 4:16 pm

"That one showed some promise but it was too angley."

LOL. Now I think maybe we've gone off on a tangent.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2007, 8:11 pm

"I do know one gentleman bought three of them

Well, that's a relief...I've been considering buying a second one at some point.

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2007, 5:33 pm

I practiced this a number of times this weekend. This piece is really masterful. It is beautiful workmanship. Every detail has been thought through and there are many WOW moments during the routine. The accompanying DVD is very helpful as the routine has a lot of nice twists. . .and it is worth every bit of time one would need to invest to get it down.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”