Micky Hades Finger Chopper question

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Micky Hades Finger Chopper question

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2002, 8:11 pm

Hello All:

I've been searching for the Hades Chopper, and found a couple of dealers that sell it. My concern is Stevens and Denny both don't carry it. Makes me stop and go, "hmmmm". It seems I heard a rumor that since Hades started making them again, the quality is not the same as before. Does anybody have a recently bought version? Any insight will be appreciated.

Ron Reid

Re: Micky Hades Finger Chopper question

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2002, 6:27 am

The Hades finger choppers are now being made by Mr. John Kaplan of Burnaby, BC who purchased the manufacturing rights from Micky Hades to produce and sell them. John worked for Micky for many years and built the originals back then, so the quality should be no different. They do tend to be slightly thicker than the originals however.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.MINDGUY.com

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2002, 5:51 pm

Thanks, Paul. I think I'll give it a try then.

Ron Reid

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » June 19th, 2002, 9:56 pm

Hi Ronald,

Paul Alberstat is correct about John Kaplan. The chopper he is offering is of excellent quality. You will have to "break in" your purchase.

I have two of them!!! Does that tell you that I highly reccommend them?

Regards,

Paul Green

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2002, 8:59 am

Thanks again, Paul and Paul. I just ordered it from Hank Lee.

Ron Reid

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » June 20th, 2002, 12:08 pm

Hi Paul. I respect much of what you do, and use some of your (marketed) effects. (I even purchased your Notion of Motion from you, which I unfortunately might have to sell due to pesky bills) :(

I used to perform the finger chopper years ago (and occasionally dust if off for friends), but I could never get over the puzzle aspect of the trick. They know you're not going to actually cut off their finger (don't they?), and despite an actual, heart-stopping, double-mishap in 1986, I don't know if scaring a spectator is worth the implausible effect of a blade slicing through a finger without harm.

My point being, if you'd care to contribute, what kind of presentation helps you get around this?

Thanks for sharing...
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » June 20th, 2002, 12:47 pm

Hi Ruben,

When using the Hades Finger Chopper, I really take advantage of the examinability of the prop. I usually let a committee of two or three spectators examine the prop as I introduce the "pitch" for the company.

I further explain that when a person has confidence in "my" company and its product line or service that solutions abound for any problems that might arise.

I usually ask if there is someone in the audience that has a particular situation that might be helped by "my" company. This person becomes the center of attention as I extoll the benefits of the company and its staff.

Then it becomes a situation where, if the spectator has confidence, nothing will come to harm him (her). The situation is comedic as I rally the support of others in the quest for solutions. Finally as the blade crashes through finger everyone breaths a sigh of relief. I ask the spectator to remove their finger and hold it so all can see. I make the comment that now everyone can see that with confidence and committment "Acme" is number 1 in the industry.

I turn the crowd over to the sales staff. I usually just leave the chopper on the podium. I have never had the prop fail me.

I think that you are correct when it comes to the puzzle aspect of this kind of trick. That is the business we are in. Sometimes, there does not need to be any further motivation than that.

Good luck with regards to your bills.

Regards,

Paul

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 20th, 2002, 6:22 pm

Just before I push the blade down... I say...

"And now... the ANTI CLIMAX!"

:D :rolleyes: :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2002, 7:30 pm

Biro,
That's almost as funny as Harry Anderson's Finger Chopper routine!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » June 20th, 2002, 8:24 pm

Thank you, Paul!
It's great advice, and you've obviously put a lot of thought into it, making it a powerful routine.

I find it interesting that you make such a big deal about the examinability of the prop. It appears you've taken the puzzle aspect of the trick and faced it head-on. Rather than steer clear of it, you've enhanced the puzzle by acknowledging the audience's guess that "there's something tricky" about the chopper and allowing them to search to their hearts content. It respects their intelligence and still defies explanation. I'll try allowing more people to examine it.

Adapting your presentation to the particular company you're working for is always a plus, and I have no doubt that you do a masterful job of it.
Thanks again for being so generous. It's always nice to see how a working pro tackles practical concerns.

Look forward to talking to you again.
Ruben
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2005, 2:33 am

MICKY HADES MAGIC SHOP, Canada:
Finger Chopper:
http://www.mickyhades.com/

Check out a great PHOTO:
http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com/prod559.htm

About Micky:
http://www.mickyhades.com/who.htm

PLUS

http://www.hadespublications.com/

Return to “Close-Up Magic”