If you could choose one magician!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

If you could choose one magician!

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2001, 1:26 pm

If you could choose one magician that you would wanna be(besides yourself) who would it be and y? Personally I think it would be unbelievable to be Lennart Green hes one of the most innovative minds in close up magic and hes just so open when he does sleights. It kinda makes you wonder did he just do the move? Also what do you guys think is the best gambler VS magician plot out there?

Brian Marks

Re: If you could choose one magician!

Postby Brian Marks » August 8th, 2001, 6:57 pm

It would be David Blaine. He has such a sweet deal with ABC. He has done simple tricks bought in a magic shop plus tricks augmented by stooges, editing etc and tricks taught to him by "consultant" magicians who are usually the ones whose tricks David does a.k.a David Williamson's torn and restored card.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2001, 11:08 pm

You guys are nuts!
If you're going to pick one magician ... let's see. Hmmmmmm. Who makes $50 million bucks a year, gets in free to everyplace he wants to go, never waits in line for anything, is a superstar, and has his pick of women all over the world. Someone who has complete control over all apsects of his work, works when he wants and where he wants, has no boss to give him a lot of crap, doesn't do anything he doesn't feel is top of the line quality ...
you'd have to be crazy not to pick David Copperfield.
The catch is you have to do 500 shows a year.
There is always a price to pay.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2001, 10:22 am

I agree with Richard that Copperfield is the man to be if you want it for the fame and fortune.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » August 11th, 2001, 11:04 pm

What magician I would like to be other than myself, let's see.

If I wanted fame and fortune it would be Copperfield.

If I desired to have great stage presence and style, Burton would be a good choice plus I am sure he's not doing to bad financially either.

If being a magical creative genius and becoming a legend were my goal, Vernon then would be the choice.

How about becoming the most revered all around stage and close up magician? Then I would have to be Kaps.

However, if I really wanted to have my audiences truly feel through my performances how much I love and sacrificed for this art then there can only be one choice. That choice would be Rene Lavand.

IMHO, Mr. Lavand is the greatest living magical artiste in the world today. Please do not just take my word for it. Just attend one of his lectures or performances and I'm sure I would get little argument after that.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Guest » August 12th, 2001, 2:22 pm

I agree with Eric. Rene Lavand is pure magic.
To be present at one of his performances is to understand what magic could be.His magic talks to the heart.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 12th, 2001, 2:52 pm

If I could be any magician, I would want to be Merlin. No cards,no coins, just a wave of the wand and any thing I want.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2001, 3:24 pm

If you were a real magician you wouldn't fart around doing tricks!
In fact, it is impossible to speculate on what you might do, since no one has ever been a real magician. The entire course of world history would probably change if there were a SINGLE person with true magical powers. It's not going to happen.
If I could choose one person's magical abilities that I could possess, it would have to be Jeff Sheridan, the greatest living card manipulator, and one of the most charismatic and engaging magicians the world has ever known.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 12th, 2001, 4:22 pm

Richard, I think you may have taken the Merlin comment a tad to seriously. Truly, I would want the hands of Ricky Jay, the story telling of Rene Levand, the imagination of Lennert Green and the repetoire of Michael Skinner. Throw in Copperfield's reject girl friends and I could muddle along.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 12th, 2001, 6:53 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
You guys are nuts!
If you're going to pick one magician ... let's see. Hmmmmmm. Who makes $50 million bucks a year, gets in free to everyplace he wants to go, never waits in line for anything, is a superstar, and has his pick of women all over the world. Someone who has complete control over all apsects of his work, works when he wants and where he wants, has no boss to give him a lot of crap, doesn't do anything he doesn't feel is top of the line quality ...
you'd have to be crazy not to pick David Copperfield.
The catch is you have to do 500 shows a year.
There is always a price to pay.

David Blaine is rising in fame and fortune. He is already a millionaire and gets the attention of women. I visited him in Times Square during the ice stubt. Women came to see him with his shirt off.

Luis

Postby Luis » August 13th, 2001, 12:01 am

Without a doubt, Rene Lavand. (but I wouldn't like to give up a hand :) )

One gambler Vs. magician plot that I really like is Lavand's Old Man River.

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2001, 7:41 pm

Hi,
This may be a little different, but if i could study from any magician it would have to be Micheal Ammar. He is interested in every kind of magic i am. Coin, Card, Cups and balls (basically all the Cs). I think if i could be any magician it would have to be Micheal Ammar. In my opinion he is the best close-up magician i have seen (my opinion). He can perform any kind of magic very well, and he is a great teacher/lecturer.
But like Micheal once told me there isnt really room for an other Micheal Ammar, but there is plenty for the next Colin Mcleod.

Colin
;)

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2001, 9:09 pm

One name i haven't heard mentioned is David Roth!!
If i would be anyone i would be him.
He is the best coin manipulator i have ever seen or heard of, and although some of his patter can annoy me, he is certainly exceptional, and i'd give an arm and a leg, well maybe not an arm :) and maybe not a leg :) , but i'd certainly give a lot to spend one evening with this remarkable man.
Has anyone seen his retention pass?? Purely amazement in itself, and he can even do a flat classic palm, one feat i hope to obtain one day :D

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Zoink ]

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2001, 8:00 am

Another name I didn't hear mentioned.
Ones self!
How about if I could be me with another 10, 15 or even another 25 years experience?
I reckon that would “be another magician other than me.” All that new experience I think would make me a totally different magician from what I am now.
As Mr Kaufman stated in another post. Twenty years ago there was no internet, videos etc.
At that that time I was visiting my local magic shop whilst working on The Royal Road, and “saving up” for the Bobo book!
A chance meeting with a few of the guys resulted in a quick demonstration of a new Vernon or Harris or Kaufman idea that one of them was working on.
Now that I own, watch and practise with videos, I cant believe the amount of errors Mr Roth has shown me in most of the moves I thought I had from the Bobo book, or what Daryl has put me right with on some of my card sleights.
Looking at this comparison of teaching. What is it going to be like in another 20 years?
Personal one on one live in your sitting room?
As stated above. I think we`ll all be completely different magicians in time to come.

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » August 23rd, 2001, 3:48 pm

Zoink,
You sound like a young person. I'm glad to hear you are putting your emphasis on things like the retention vanish and classic palming technique...rather than the latest whiz bang flourish.

Check out Mike Gallo's retention pass. It's the best I've seen. On the classic palm, the key is the flesh at the base of the thumb holds the coin in place, not the joint. Also, keep the thumb straight.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 24th, 2001, 12:54 am

I picked David Blaine in an earlier post. After seeing him at the Magic Live convention Ive decided its not a good choice. Sure I would love to go on a party binge for three days and do an interview in front of magicians but I dont like looking like an idiot. He now wants to be shot on tv and do a stunt that "breaks every bone in my body" He expects to die on his next special and idolizes people like Fidel Castro????

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2001, 5:45 am

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Apolonius? He worked on a grand scale. Surely his accomplishments outweigh even the most virtuous "moves" and successes of modern performers. And while we're dippin' into the old-school... How about Moses, John the Baptist or Jesus? These guys had (and still have!) their fans by the cords.

Others? Saitya Sai Baba, Geller, and even Michael Jackson have used illusion to further their careers and elevate their audience's "belief". Believe that.

One Love,
j.H.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”