If you had to show ONE card trick what would it be???

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

If you had to show ONE card trick what would it be???

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 12:02 pm

someone askes u to show him one trick which one would u show????

Re: If you had to show ONE card trick what would it be???

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Card Warp!

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Impression

A great effect available at www.jcstardust.com

LOL

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 1:07 pm

After viewing Impression, I must agree....

Card Warp!

Adrian

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Ambitious card probably or Triumph.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 2:09 pm

i would that floating (styrofoam) cup effect.
because you can usually find a cup somewhere
where ever you are.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Hey--this was from another thread along similar lines as your question:

I just came across this quote by Paul Harris in the "Magic Manuscript" (june/july '81):
"...If...you had to learn just ONE card trick, 'The Ambitious Card' would be the trick to learn."

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 2:38 pm

If I had the stranger card and a flashpaper envelope - would go for that first trick in the stranger card section of Expert Card Technique where you borrow a deck and...

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » December 11th, 2007, 3:38 pm

The Ten Card Poker Deal
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 11:31 pm

Hey, how can you argue with Paul Harris? Ambitious card it is. I've gotten more gigs and made more tips off of this trick than anything else. It can last 30 seconds, or 5 minutes. Is visual, transcends the language barrier, it can play for adults, children. I end mine with the card appearing either in an altoids tin, my wallet, or shoe.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » December 11th, 2007, 11:50 pm

If it is a borrow deck of card... card warp?
Nah! Any card trick that requires color change (your choice of one trick). It blew them away!

If is it mine own deck of card... I would do the card warp.

Which card trick should I show only once? You asked. Depend something popped up in my mind that I know of. (Either sleigh of hands and self working). It is hard to do the pattern while I perform with sleigh of hands since I use both hands to sign language (I'm deaf). Self working card trick works fine. Classic pass is the best!
I could goes on and on... but I better shut up for a while.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 12:47 pm

I have a very strong card routine involving mentalism that so far, has blown everyone I've shown away. I have mostly shown it to laymen although the 1 magician I did show, had no idea how I did it. The premise of the trick is getting someone to believe you are influencing their mind and vision. I start by having a signed card returned to the deck. After I locate the card and remove it, I have the spectator hold the deck while I show them the card they thought was theirs prove to be another. I do this all in plain view(no double lifts) while they hold onto the deck. People are completely amazed when they search the deck that's been in their hands, only to realize their signed card never left the deck. I then hand out the card they thought was theirs to be examined as well. I am currently writing 3 versions of this trick and (as long as my illustrator stops dragging her feet)will have a copyright by the beginning of 2008. I look forward to sharing it with the magic community shortly thereafter.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 1:39 pm

If just one I'd go with Cardwarp. After that, Shufflebored.

Jeff

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 1:50 pm

For one person or two, doing Ambitious is almost reflexive for all the reasons Pepka listed so perfectly.

--For any groups of 3 people and above, I always start with "The Boomeranging Card of Mystery" from "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler" by Daryl and Stephen Minch.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Originally posted by castawaydave:
For one person or two, doing Ambitious is almost reflexive for all the reasons Pepka listed so perfectly.

--For any groups of 3 people and above, I always start with "The Boomeranging Card of Mystery" from "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler" by Daryl and Stephen Minch.
My man, YOU have excellent taste.

I've always loved that routine from Daryl. I've developed my own handling that uses Paul Harris's Instant Replay move that gets great reactions.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 3:00 pm

I would do Harry Lorayne's "Best Gosh Darn Impromptu Linking Card Effect" from Quantum Leaps. If I could not destroy a card, then it would be "Spelligant" from Apocalypse

Best,
Vlad

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 4:22 pm

what issue is that from Spelligant???

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » December 12th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Chicago Surprise if it's my deck; Triumph if it's a borrowed deck.
The MacGician®

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Daley's Last Trick or Hamman's Twins.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Thanks, pepka--right back at you.

A GREAT trick (from a long-forgotten [by me] beginners' book) to do for one person when you're both seated at a table is--"Card Through Table"--

A selection's controlled, then lapped. Rest of deck is "centered" on table top. Put your hands under table and with the tip of one thumb hold card up, flat against underside of table.

Ask for one of their hands--use yours (which to the spectator are obviously empty--they are feeling both palms) to position their hand under the table palm up in your hand which will then have their card secretly propped a couple inches above their palm.
(Use your free hand to put their hand in position without bumping the thumb supporting the card. Noone EVER suspects...)

Slam free hand down on deck, at same time move thumb away from under card so it lands right into spectator's hand like a leaf--a nice contrast to the SLAM on top of the table...
This simple trick (with a long explanation) plays REALLY well.

It's like the old salt-shaker through table, but the card in this case falls right into their hand under what seem to be the fairest and most innocent of conditions.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Dave, that trick is in Harry Lorayne's Close-Up Card Magic. I think he attributes it to Johnny Benzais.

And it is a GREAT trick--I used to do it all the time and the look on someone's face when the card drops into his or her hand is amazing.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 8:53 pm

"Through the Table" has been re-written and appears on page 106 of Lorayne: The Classic Collection (my hand appears in the photograph).

I do this all the time and *love* to follow it up with Schulien's Card under Tablecloth (I have performed it hundreds of times in my restaurant work).

I offer to repeat the Benzais piece and, under the guise of explaining "how it worked", I have the audience look under the table to "see the gum", lifting the cloth to help them see and, in the process, loading the card. When the card fails to penetrate the table in the same manner as before and is revealed between the tablecloth and the table surface it thoroughly stuns audiences.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 9:08 pm

i totally misread the subject...oops.

since i was never into card tricks...
i would ultimately opt for 52 card pick up.

:whack:

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Andrew:
You are the 2nd person that I have recently heard rave about Mr. Schulien's card under table cloth. My friend knows his stuff and states firmly that that is one of the most potent revelations he has ever used.

He isn't even quite sure why, but he says people flip out. Sometimes he pours or "accidently" spills water and they see the card through the cloth (was that not what Schulian did?)...People flip. Excellent. :D

The 2 phase routine must knock 'em dead. Nice. :cool:

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 12:12 am

wow246

Spelligant is in the black bound volume of Apocalypse. Sorry I do not have the book at hand at the moment.

Best,
Vlad

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » December 13th, 2007, 12:25 am

Originally posted by Vlad_77:
wow246

Spelligant is in the black bound volume of Apocalypse. Sorry I do not have the book at hand at the moment.

Best,
Vlad
SPEL(L)Egant, Vol. 20, N 4, april 1997, page 2773.

Be careful ! Don't play with the orthography !!!

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 1:19 am

I was at a funeral a couple of weeks ago and met some cousins I hadn't seen in twenty-five years. One of them said to his sister, "Remember this guy?" "No." "Remember the red black card trick?" Big smile from her as she remembered.

Of course it was Out Of This World.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 13th, 2007, 7:33 am

Interesting (I think). I remember the problem in getting a photo of the hand holding the card under the table. Line drawings are, many times, much, much, easier. We (the photographer and I) tried all kinds of angles - I remember both of us lying on the floor! Trying to get the lights down there, and etc. What we finally did was - we put a bit of wax on the tip of my thumb, right on the thumbnail, stuck the card onto that and took the picture - no table involved. Then, you took it from there, Andrew. What you did, I have no idea, but it sure depicts what I wanted to depict in teaching the effect.
I'm going to have the same problems with THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, VOL. 2 (if and when I decide to publish). I'm just about starting to re-write The Memory Magic Square out of REPUTATION-MAKERS. O'boy! Getting photos of those charts/squares,with handwriting, etc., is going to be fun! HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 13th, 2007, 7:40 am

Also interesting (again, I think) is that in the last month or two I've been getting more-than-usual number of orders for the APOCALYPSE four-volume set. During the same time, I've received more remarks, raves, questions, etc., re: Spel(l)Egant. Could there be a connection? Incidentally, there are no more Volume 2s left - except for a few of the original Deluxe Collector's Edition. So it goes. HARRY LORAYNE.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 7:46 am

Dear Harry,

Re: Photos of handwritten charts....EASY:

Simply do the handwritten charts and SCAN them. Insert them into text as jpeg or pdf....

Best,

Paul Gordon

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 8:20 am

Schulien's

HMMMM....

I miss their food!
:p

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 13th, 2007, 9:00 am

Hi Paul: Sure wish I knew what you're talking about - that's part of the problem, I'm a lousy computer person. But, when it gets down to nitty-gritty I'm sure my photographer or Andrew, who lays out my books for me, will know what you're saying. Somehow we'll work it out. Best - HARRY.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 9:10 am

For many, many years my answer to that one is impromptu Wild Card.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 9:11 am

I would also go for card warp, particularly Warp II from Ultra Cervon (believe it's on page 88)...amazing version!

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 9:12 am

Originally posted by Magic By Sander - Bob Sanders:
For many, many years my answer to that one is impromptu Wild Card.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The one from Apocalypse Magazine?

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 9:27 am

"Son of Hyper-Warp" from The Hypercard Project.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » December 13th, 2007, 11:17 am

Don't be so modest, Jonathan. Jonathan's Impromptu Wild Card routine is in the February, 1982 issue of APOCALYPSE (that'd be in the first bound volume). The cover item is probably one of the most overlooked items of the twenty-year run - it's a basic safety pin routine utilizing only NON-gimmicked safety pins. HARRY LORAYNE.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » December 13th, 2007, 1:45 pm

If it were for one person, Chicago Opener, for more than one person or a group, Invisible Deck.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Color Monte is the way to go. I've never seen a stronger trick except for something out of Bob Longe's books.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Can someone desrcibe the effect in "Spel(l)Egant"?

P.S.--I am 100% positive I learned the Card Through Table from a big soft-bound book, illustrated with primitive line-drawings called something like "Magic Digest"...I hate to admit it, but I have never (yet) had one of Mr. Lorayne's tomes (except "Dingle's Deceptions"). I will continue searching for that reference--I know one of my friends still has the book.

I assumed it was one of those virtually "in the public record" type tricks, or I never would have "tipped it'...though I hope somebody tries it because it KILLS.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”