Bloom´s Flying Ring

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Bloom´s Flying Ring

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2003, 4:09 pm

I purchased Gaetan Blooms Flying Ring about a year ago. Unfortunately I found the trick very cumbersome and fiddly to work with, so after giving it a couple of nights I quickly stuffed it into a drawer. But it would be nice to have a working shirtless ring flight so now, a year later, Ive decided to give it another shot. Does any of you guys have any ideas for improving the handling? Or is it just me thats being an idiot? Because I find about every phase of the routine to be unpractical and extremely difficult to operate in the "real world".
:confused:
Apparently Gaetan had a lot of success with it at a recent lecture tour (I even heard some talk about his new method for a "delayed discovery of the vanish".) Ive tried to track down his improvements but without success. So if any of you have any ideas of tips, I would be more than grateful if you would share them with me. Please contact me at the stated e-mail address.

Re: Bloom´s Flying Ring

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2003, 4:30 pm

Check out the Michael Close handling of the prop in Workers 5 "Ring Fright". You'll need to track down another prop that is no longer avaialble but it's worth it for the great routine.

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2003, 10:49 am

Thanks, Ill look into that as an alternative. But it really bugs me to have to get yet another prop when I already have got one, a not too inexpensive one at that...

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2003, 5:03 pm

A very good reel-less Ring Flite is Steve Dusheck's Ringer. This is a practical, real world, worker. Steve's instructions give lots of good ideas for the "vanish." And, it has an immediate repeat feature which is nice, because they often ask to see it again, and it's already set!
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » January 7th, 2003, 6:23 pm

I'll mention a suggestion that I was going to keep to myself. This was mentioned to me by Fantasio. It's not really necessary to use the Mercedes Bends Key in the Ring Fright routine. Just use any car key that is a suitable size. Hook the key onto the shoelace with a half-hitch. The fact that the key appears is startling enough; in the big picture it's unimportant that it hasn't really penetrated the lace.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 7th, 2003, 7:01 pm

Fred Kaps did a version WITHOUT a reel.

Just have a keycase with a hook hanging out of your rear trouser pocket.

You can vanish the ring of a string, cord, rope (which he did)... or even more MAGICAL (altho poo pood by many) is to have a spectator hold the ring under a handkerchief (dupe sewn in corner to hold) and you whip away the hanky and the ring is gone.

There is NO NEED to make it complicated. :eek: :genii: :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 2:49 am

How many people have a reel ring flight horror story? Mine involves a bent piece of wire, a truly flying and a 20 minute search of a sidewalk cafe!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 8th, 2003, 8:18 am

I've heard many "Ring Flite" horror stories. The one heard most often, aside from the ring flying across the room, is that when the original ring is returned, the woman claims that it is NOT hers ... that hers was a valuable diamond (or something along those lines). In other words, you borrowed a piece of costume jewelery, NOT a valuable ring, and the spectator decides it's time to screw you good! Anyone had this happen?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 8th, 2003, 11:08 am

Nothing bad but a great ending...

On a platform state I had the ring fly out and land in someone's lap in the audience.

I then said, "The ring will vanish from my hand... (showed hand empty) and RE-APPEAR IN HIS (point to the dude) HAND..."

Later, magicians present went nuts asking me how I did it... I didn't tip. Heheheh :D :p :D :p :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 8th, 2003, 11:10 am

OOOOPS... "Platform state" shudda been "Platform stage"...

BTW, I think Whit Haydn's premise is the best.
Kaps' method is the best.

Biggest problem is "hooking up"... and Finn Jon had the best idea.

He had a small piece of flash paper with the hook UNDER it... He would wrap the ring (actually pushing the ring through the weak paper and hook up UNDER COVER of the paper...

:genii: -US (Genius)
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 1:30 pm

Hmm... isnt there a danger of the flash paper charring the ring, dependent of which material its made of?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 8th, 2003, 1:49 pm

Originally posted by Henrik Bjarneskans:
Hmm... isnt there a danger of the flash paper charring the ring, dependent of which material its made of?
The ring's gone by the time the flash paper is lit...so no need to worry about that.

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
BTW, I think Whit Haydn's premise is the best.
Kaps' method is the best.
Are these in print? If so, where?

Personally, I like how Peter Samelson approaches it, though he's not doing it to a key case. Rather, the ring appears wrapped in paper in a box the spectator is holding.

-Jim

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 2:13 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
[/qb]
The ring's gone by the time the flash paper is lit...so no need to worry about that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realized this as soon as I had posted my reply. Sometimes the hands are quicker than the mind... ;)

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 2:22 pm

Terri Rogers had great method for hooking up the ring however, when I've tried it the clasp doesn't "stand out" from the thumb tip. I've tried designing other clasps with little success. Does any one have the real work on this?

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 8:06 pm

I LOVE Steve Dusheck's Ringer. I use it almost every day for close up and even stand up. No reels to worry about. And it has never let me down.

Gene B

Postby Gene B » January 8th, 2003, 10:22 pm

Hi John--
Is Dusheck's Ringer a marketed item or printed up--I haven't located.
Thanks,

Gene B :confused:

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 4:49 am

Yes, I havent been able to locate it either. As I understand, it is a marketed item and it was once sold by Tannens for $35. HOwever, at the moment there doesnt seem to be any dealer who carries it. I have at least not found anyone.

By the way - Im finally making some progress with Blooms version (see the very firt post). But it a very slow process...

cataquet

Postby cataquet » January 9th, 2003, 6:13 am

Steve Duscheck is a member of this forum, and I seem to remember him saying something along the lines that he wasn't going to sell to magic shops anymore, but that everything would now be available directly from him.

Bye for now

Harold

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 7:24 am

Hi Dennis and John. Thanks for the nice comments about my Ringer. I do not sell it to magic shops but have it in stock at all times if anyone is interested. I averaged 18 tables per night at the resorts on weekends. I did Ringer twice at each table. Over 50 weeks I performed Ringer 3,600 times and never had a problem with the borrowed ring. There were 8 people at each table. So 14,400 guests got to see the effect. I never had a problem with any of the people who lent me their ring either. I can use any size ring so I never had to leave Ringer out of my act. The Mike Close routine is Great magic too.
Best wishes,
Steve Dusheck

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 9th, 2003, 7:36 am

Originally posted by Steve Dusheck:
Hi Dennis and John. Thanks for the nice comments about my Ringer. I do not sell it to magic shops but have it in stock at all times if anyone is interested
Could you tell me a bit more about Ringer? How is it different from other effects in this area? And how much would it cost? ;)

-Jim

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 7:46 am

Try Steve's Ringer you'll like it, no strings or pulls to get tangled or break and no harm done to the barrowed ring, even better when you use Steves routine using 2 of them its magical and entertaining. Instantanious & no resets and plenty of applause if you want more then that you better get the GENII out of the bottle and sell the rest & recoup some of your loss

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 9th, 2003, 12:23 pm

The very best clip ever was one custom made by Don Alan. Don gave it to me to bring to London for Ken Brooke.

Ken was going to market Don's Key Case with this clip, but sadly died and I never did get the case back.

Basically, what Don did was to remove the part of the clip that moves and replace it with a very soft springy material (actually a piece of spring steel from an old Walsh cane). This allowed the ring to pass into the clip with NO RESISTANCE.

He also used the squeeze type case, no zipper.

BTW... any of you ever do the original "Flying Ring?"

Ring in left hand vanished and reappears on selected finger of right hand--in a second or less?

Huge reel in pocket. Ring with very complex grip and release clip flies up sleeve, across back and into pocket. Slip ring on preselected finger. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 5:27 pm

Just send me an e-mail and I'll send you more details. I don't think I should advertise on the forum.
Steve

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 9th, 2003, 7:36 pm

I've sent Steve an e-mail encouraging him to talk about his tricks to his heart's content. Since he doesn't sell to shops (and doesn't seem to advertise) I can't see any other way for all of you to find out about his stuff. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 10th, 2003, 4:28 pm

Moo Man... run, don't walk to Steve with an ad sales form! :D :genii: :D
Stay tooned.

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » January 18th, 2003, 8:54 am

I echo the praise for Steve Dusheck's Ringer although I now often use Eric Mason's Magnifique. Routine in excellent boook "Stuff" is too confusing so have own.

Gaeton Bloom's may be similar basic priniple as I saw a French made keycase at Tannen's some years ago but unsure if that was his. Proust name mentioned.

Is Whit Haydn's routine in print?
Anthony

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 18th, 2003, 12:49 pm

Got Dushek's RINGED today... oh boy is it goooood! No work... well made, and will fool.

Many, many pages of ideas and bits included.

Sir Brahams: Go to www.schoolforscoundrels.com and I believe you will find Whit's routine. The patter/premise is wonderful.

(may be wrong url? but a search will find 'em)
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2003, 12:24 pm

The School For Scoundrels URL is correct, but Haydns routine doesnt seem to be there... what is is called?

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » January 20th, 2003, 2:58 pm

Is Whit Haydn's routine in print?
Actually (I've been looking for it in my library, but haven't found it yet), I'm fairly certain Whit's Ring Flight routine is in his "Street Magic" notes.

But I'm sure that ol' Tennessee swindler will pop up here and let us know for sure any moment now... :)

brian :cool:

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » January 21st, 2003, 5:25 am

Whit Haydn does mention Ring Flite (ugh-spelling!) in his Street Magic but only briefly regarding the release.However still excellent interesting and useful reading.

I sent an e-mail regarding the finger ring routine and Chef Anton replied,"It is coming out on DVD but it is not available yet"
Anthony

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » January 21st, 2003, 7:02 am

Who here has seen Whit's routine? I'd love to hear more.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 21st, 2003, 10:46 am

I have seen Whit do his ring flight several times and the PATTER/PREMISE is what I like best.

Mechanically? There are a lot of ways to do it, but the scenario he presents is what makes it so unique.

Whit Happens :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2003, 4:03 pm

A good idea for the Bloom version is make the vanish under a hankerchief so you don't have to put your hands on the back.
I present this trick as a transposition between a key ("my car's key, the price if the trick don't works"I tell), that appears under the hankerchief and the ring, thah appears in the key holder.
My inspiration comes from the Close's routine, but without the extra out of order gimmick
Gaetan do the dirty moment trick under the table
I hope this help s you to find your own presentation and enjoy the trick...

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2003, 6:01 am

Originally posted by dari:
Gaetan do the dirty moment trick under the table.
Are you saying that he does the actual vanish under a table?!? Shurely he can't have such handling difficulties with his own trick! :-)

Or is this refering to another effect, called "The Dirty Moment Trick", which hes incorporated into his routine and Im not familiar with?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 29th, 2003, 10:15 am

Maybe he laps the ring after a vanish, then loads it under the table, out of sight, onto the clip??

I had one and never did figure out a routine/handling to my liking so I sold it.

Later I heard of Mike Close doing it under a handkerchief.

After all, you do have that huge TT to conceal! :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2003, 6:39 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
After all, you do have that huge TT to conceal! :eek:
Your eright Peter, and its not only huge, it is noisy as well. Ive heard of people padding it with cotton to soften the rattling of the chain and ring, but that just means that the TT will grow even longer! Unless you have really small thumbs, of course. And I mean really small.
I decided to try Steve Dusheks Ringer instead. Its in the mail and I cant wait to test it. I understand you were very satisfied, Peter. Im sure I will feel the same way. The handling just seems so clean. And Steve is a brilliant magic inventor.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 29th, 2003, 7:16 pm

Ringer you will like... no nonsense... no hidden work. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2003, 7:58 pm

I talked to Steve about what other effects hes responsible for, and it amazed me what impact his inventions has had on the magic world. Shame on me, but I didnt know who he was. Yet I used stuff that hed invented in my very first performances, some twenty years ago!

One explanation is of course that I have only been really serious about magic for the last four years, so I have a lot of catching up to do. But still. What a brilliant guy. Im humbled.

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » January 29th, 2003, 9:43 pm

I just recieved my Ringer and it's damn cool. I have it in my pocket right now and it's always ready to go.

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2003, 12:32 pm

To Steve Dusheck,
Do you have a catalog or list of the effects you have available? You've created so much great magic, I'd really like to get some more of your stuff.
How is the new book of Business Card Magic coming along? I'm SOOOO anxious to get it.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html

Return to “Close-Up Magic”