Marc DeSouza Snap Change

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
JR Russell

Marc DeSouza Snap Change

Postby JR Russell » February 11th, 2002, 5:25 pm

I was watching Daryl's Card Revelation DVD and saw him do a snap change and then he did a change that he credited to Marc DeSouza and it looked great. I have tried recreating it but I was curious if it was in print anywhere.
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Bill Mullins

Re: Marc DeSouza Snap Change

Postby Bill Mullins » February 11th, 2002, 5:44 pm

It was originally published in Steve Beam's "Trapdoor" magazine; don't know the
issue # offhand . . .

Bill Mullins

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » February 11th, 2002, 6:25 pm

I think you'll find it is called 'Shapeshifter'. (Although don't quote me on that!)

Adam Brooks

Postby Adam Brooks » February 11th, 2002, 9:00 pm

I'd like to make a note on DeSouza's change.

It is not DeSouza's change.

While I was at MagiFest, Oscar Muoz showed us his invention, the Pirouette change, basically, Shapeshifter done away from the deck and one-handed. Apparently, Oscar showed this to Mark, and Mark liked it so much that he moved it to the deck, and then published it in Trapdoor.

The move should be offically credited to Oscar Muoz, as moving the change onto the deck is not grounds for a "different" change.

My two pesos,

Adam

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2002, 6:58 am

I think this post sheds an unfair light on Marc. In addition, the two-handed action of the change makes it quite different from a one-handed version.
More importantly, both changes appear in the same issue of trapdoor. So there is no way Marc could have been trying to claim anything other than the differences between the two moves, which were obviously thought to be different enough by Steve Beam to be included.

Aaron Shields

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » February 12th, 2002, 2:45 pm

Which issue of Trapdoor should I look for and how can I get one!
JR Russell

"Fly Navy"

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2002, 2:54 pm

JR if you want the change, you're better off getting it through Marc's lecture notes. The issue of the trapdoor, to the best of my knowledge, is out of print.

Aaron

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 12th, 2002, 3:17 pm

If you want to view a performance of DeSouza's "shapeshifter" click on here http://www-personal.umich.edu/~greglee/clips.htm While you are there, check out the clip titled Snap change by Brian Holmes. It looks like real magic! Very cool!

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » February 13th, 2002, 12:26 pm

Hi All,

In response to Adam Brooks' posting, The Shapeshifter Change is indeed my change and The Pirouette Change is Oscar's. They are different moves. Mine would never have been created if not for Oscar's move, but they are different. Here's the story:

I met Oscar while I was doing a lecture tour in Texas a number of years ago. Oscar showed me his move and I was very enthusistic about it. I loved the concept, but discussed with him the problems inherent in it...getting into it, getting out of it, and drawing focus away from the actual method. Within a few weeks I worked out Shapeshifter. A few months later I showed it to Steve Beam who insisted it be on the cover of the next issue of Trapdoor. I agreed, provided he also print Oscar's version in the same issue, which he did. This was done with Oscar's enthusiastic permission.

I have always acknowledged Oscar's creation and talk about it whenever I teach Shapeshifter. They are different moves. If you see them side by side you will understand this. The only relationship is the 'motivating force' which causes the change to happen. In Oscar's version, it's a little tough getting in and out of it, but more importantly the attention is focused on an isolated card. This makes the method difficult to disguise.

In Shapeshifter, the position of the card helps disguise the true method. By having both hands in play and the card close to the deck, the overall effect is much more magical and the method less transparent.

By the way, the move appears in my new book, DeSouza's DeCeptions. It was written by David Acer and is being published by Camirand Academy of Magic. Should be out the end of February.

So, there's my two cents worth.

Marc DeSouza

Adam Brooks

Postby Adam Brooks » February 13th, 2002, 8:23 pm

"...and now I [you] know the rest of the story."

Thanks for clearing things up for me, Mark.

Adam

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 14th, 2002, 6:02 am

I'm rally looking forward to Marc's book. He's a very clever magician, and a real nice guy as well.

Matt Field

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » February 14th, 2002, 3:44 pm

Just in case you're interested, you can contact Beam at:
sbeam@mindspring.com

His website: http://www.mindspring.com/~sbeam/home.html

He only sells a year's stock, not individual issues.

And by the way, check out the comments on Steve Pressley's book, ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES.

Steve H

Return to “Close-Up Magic”