"Spectator is the Magician" Card Routine

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

"Spectator is the Magician" Card Routine

Postby Guest » May 10th, 2007, 10:49 am

I had an idea to put together a card routine based on the theme that the spectator, and not the magician, is doing the magic. These effects usually get great reactions on their own, and my idea was to routine 3 such effects together, where they get successively more-impossible.

I want the initial reaction to be "Hmm, that's an interesting coincidence..." and then by the end have them screaming "HOW IN THE WORLD AM I DOING THIS!?"

Anyway, I have two effects in mind, but I'm looking for a 3rd to round out the routine.

1. Spectator finds the Aces (Deal & Duck)
2. ??? ??? ???
3. Red/Black Separation (Out of This Universe)

Which of these types of effects hits hardest? And any suggestions for the routining? Thanks!
Bryan

Re: "Spectator is the Magician" Card Routine

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Depending on what other effects are suggested, you might want to be flexible on the order of tricks in the routine.

Rising card can be accomplished in the spectator's hands. Eric Henning's "Tips - Real World Ideas from a Working Magician" contains a rising card routine that's worth the price of the book alone! You'll also have to buy a commercially sold gaff to accomplish it, (another $15-$20, but again, it's worth it! In this routine you can easily manage the gaff and the deck will easily stand casual inspection.

you can find Eric Hennings book here:

http://www.thewand.net/

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Spectator rising cards is a great idea! I tend not to use gaffs, but that's just personal preference.

And good point - I did not intend to imply that the order was already fixed in my mind! I'm most interested in which of these style effects carry the best entertainment value to the lay-audience.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2007, 2:25 am

Spectator divines performer's selection, see

PABULAR, Vol. 1 No. 1 (1974) p.5, and p.33

Al Leech CARDMANSHIP (1959) p. 6

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2007, 8:04 am

Ted Lesley has a great Spectator is the Psychic on one of his videos.

"Cabaret Mentalism"?

P&L
D

Return to “Close-Up Magic”