If you had to do one trick; which one would it be

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
walkinoats

If you had to do one trick; which one would it be

Postby walkinoats » October 5th, 2001, 11:14 am

If you were in a situation where you could only perform one trick, which one would it be? and why?
I would peform signed card on ceiling, because the card remains on the ceiling for a long time and it always keeps them talking

Chris

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: walkinoats ]

Bill Duncan

Re: If you had to do one trick; which one would it be

Postby Bill Duncan » October 5th, 2001, 9:46 pm

Dingle's Card For Head trick or a spelling trick that I think was originated by Larry Grey where the concept of spelling to a card is illustrated by spelling an to a "random" card as an example after which the pack is handed to the spectator so they can find their own card.
:D

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bill Duncan ]

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » October 5th, 2001, 11:51 pm

This is a thread that desparately needs refinement. The question fails to ask this: in what context is the one trick to be performed? During a restaurant or bar gig? During a meeting in which you're pitching a corporate event? On a date in which you're after much more than a mere gig? Or during a business meeting in which the effect is intended merely to solidify or enhance an already existing business relationship. Finally, is there a performing surface available or is this an "in the hands" situation? The answer likely will differ depending on the context.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » October 6th, 2001, 12:38 pm

21 card trick, it kills.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » October 7th, 2001, 7:26 pm

Lets make it a Walk around situation. And you only could do one trick, which one would you peform and why?

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » October 8th, 2001, 10:06 pm

Personally, I use a two card tranpsosition from my first set of lecture notes. I consider it to be one of the top five cards tricks I do in most strolling situations.

The trick appears to happen in the hands of two spectators. It is a killer!!! It is also on my Classic Force Video tape.

Called the "Odds Against Me"

Regards,

Paul Green

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2001, 9:36 am

I can confirm the power of "odds aginst me" as my Mate Matt consistently murders people with it.

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » October 12th, 2001, 11:37 am

Without sounding as if I'm constantly plugging this trick, I'd have to say "Paradigm Shift". The double kicker ending blows them away.

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2001, 10:59 am

It would have to be an old classic - and the best one to my mind is 'Out of this World' - done in the mind-reading type format so you don't have to set it up
Regards
philip

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » October 21st, 2001, 10:30 pm

can you explain the effect in the "Paradigm Shift"?
thanks ,

Chris

Postby Guest » October 22nd, 2001, 4:16 am

Good choice Philip !!!

Under most circumstances I perform "Out Of This World".

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 22nd, 2001, 10:21 am

I'll always start with a colour change ROUTINE. I see so few people doing colour changes - even though there are loads of methods for colour changes, like there are loads of methods for Ambitious Card. But for both tricks, you need to spend time with the different options available, work out which elements go together - for pace, for build, for 'cancelling out theories" etc. Then spend time with it. The old timers set a lot of store by the colour change. There is a good reason for it.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 22nd, 2001, 10:38 pm

Originally posted by Dom:
I'll always start with a colour change ROUTINE.

Didn't Vernon once (or more than once) say that a color change was the strongest effect you could do for a lay audience?

Back when I was trying to impress the local boys... I used to do a face-up Ambitious Card routine which was basically passes and color changes. Very visual, but lacking in any emotional context or humor.

( ...but I'm feeling much better now )

:)

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » October 23rd, 2001, 12:43 pm

Chris,

Paradigm Shift is a packet trick. You produce a plastic wallet and from one side pull out a pack of cards. Show them all to be the same - i.e. 4 Ace of Hearts - and then place them on the table. You produce another pack of cards from the wallet and show them all to be 4 A of H. Then taking a card from the deck on the table, the cards are shown to continually be either face up or face down. After each round you lay a card down on the table until you have two packs - one face up, the other face down. You then take the face down cards and show that they have all turned into Jokers. However, you then wave a card over the face up pack and show they can turn back again if you wish. You finish off by saying that, unfortunately, it can get a bit expensive as you have to buy six decks of cards just to get 6 blue backed A of H...or do you? You then turn over the cards to show they are in fact all completely different backs, concluding that any deck can be used! :eek:

Just read through the description and it seems to lose something in the translation, but believe me it is a killer. I have yet to meet anyone who has seen it and doesn't like it.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2002, 11:53 pm

My all time favorite effect has been the Cavorting Aces combined with Slapping the Ace by Nate Leipzig. To this day I still perform it as a stand alone miracle. It has everything; it is visualy stunning magic.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2002, 7:31 am

Since it appears that the thread is more "If you had one card trick to perform...", mine would be to have someone think of a card, then I would have one single card in my hand, then ask them to name the card they thought of and then turn over the card in my hand which is the one they name. (No riffle force, etc., just "think of a card"). That keeps them talking for a very long time.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 7th, 2002, 8:22 am

Cards Schmards... I would do the Edward Victor Bat Trick... It blows any card tricks right out the drain. (Handling taught to me by Alan Alan)!
:cool:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 7th, 2002, 8:26 am

OK, you are at a gathering of friends. YOU HAVE NO PROPS, AND FOR SURE NO CARDS WITH YOU...

What would you do.

I'll give you some slack and let you pick from one to three effects.

My Choices (since I have done this set many times) are:

1: Napkins or bread rolls over the head.

2: Vanish of glass or salt shaker (covered with napkin--you all know this one)

3: Impromptu cups(s) and balls with tea cups and rolled napkin balls--final loads whatever you can find (last time I did this in a chinese restaurant and used tea cups and final loads were lemons I found in the kitchen).

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » August 7th, 2002, 10:02 am

If it's my deck, I usually do a stranger card routine of my own creation (perhaps RK will publish it at a later date ;) ). It leaves them with a souvenir, which is always a good thing. If someone hands me a deck I do David Regal's Clean Cut, which always leaves people astounded.

If I have no cards (ha! fat chance!), I might do the one where two straws are wrapped around each other and them come apart. Sorry, I honestly don't know what this is called. I learned it from Jay Sankey. The arm-twisting effect that appears in Magic for Dummies is a good one for a room full of people, especially if there is a mix of ages. I've also used Daryl's Cross of India routine with quarters and a Gallo Pitch finale. Cross of India doesn't seem like it should fool anyone, but it does.

Lately, I've been playing around with the Bermuda Triangle trick from Jim Steinmeyer's Impuzzabilities, using Walgreens sugar-free chocolate mints. :D I love these things, and the empty tins are useful for other effects as well.

Jim

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » August 7th, 2002, 12:46 pm

I would do Twisting the Aces, the original. In my opinion, this one is still the best. Thank you and goodnight. :D

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2002, 2:01 pm

Mike Cookman is correct.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2002, 2:41 pm

my ambitious card routine

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2002, 7:53 pm

For my money Shipwrecked by Daryl/Malone. Just brilliant :D .

Srecko

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 7th, 2002, 11:28 pm

Speaking of no props...

I was in a hot tub with some friends, naked, and someone asked me to do a trick.

I did a trick called "Full Circle", a two-phase routine where my ring turns invisible when I take it off my finger, and turns visible when I put it back on. It's basically Chad Long's Circle O'gold with an old thimble vanish stuck in front of it.

It's in the May One-Man parade of the Linking Ring. The only setup is that you be wearing your wedding ring.

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 5:52 am

OK Pete,
I'll bite. No props around. Hmmm, If there was a piece of paper and a pencil I might be tempted to do a centre tear "type" effect (I say type as I don't use an actual centre tear, just that type of effect).

I might also do "PK Time" if there was a watch to borrow. For sure, I would do "In search of the Unknown Force" which is a killer and requires NOTHING but a piece of paper and a pen.

With nothing at all, I would do "PK Touches".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » August 8th, 2002, 6:24 am

Hi Paul,

Is "In search of the Unknown Force" in print?

thanks,

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 8th, 2002, 8:14 am

I guess I am a small props-oriented kinda guy...

Without doubt I would perform my Color Changing Knife routine with a Minar Knife finish.

My set of Tamariz Knives are always in my pocket wherever I go...even on nature hikes.

My routine is based on the routines of Gerry Griffen (inventor of Paradigm Shift), Juan Tamariz and Michael Skinner. I have to admit that I enjoy using the Ascanio Explosion move to blow away my magical brothers and sisters. :)

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 4:54 pm

In Search of the Unknown Force is in the new booklet by Richard Busch titled "Number...Please?", and is a brilliant piece of work and should be required reading by anyone interested in "number effects with a mental twist". Richard will be posting his ordering and contact information on here for Genii members shortly. Hope that helps,
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 9:23 pm

As per Richard Busch's request, I am forwarding the following:

NUMBER ... PLEASE ?
by Richard Busch
P.E.A. Creativity Award Winner, 2002

Questions are coming in about NUMBER ... PLEASE ? Very few people outside the P.E.A. have seen it because I only just released it at this past M.O.T.M. where it was a sell out.

It is another "theme book," a 44 page numerical odyssey that is really all about creating
miracles with language and subtlety. The mentalism is based on numbers, but it's the *language* that takes it away from the usual arithmetic gymnastics,
including specific innovative dialogue for pre-show work and on-stage recovery. My approach and words use psychological wisdoms you will enjoy and may apply to all your pre-show and on-stage endeavors.

Included are killer effects for over the phone, at the table, and two impromptu, dramatic stage pieces using no props except a dry erase board and people's minds, or nothing except their minds. Reveal numbers just thought of or by premonition, from 'Think of Any Number', to 'Think of Anything'. Methods, effects, history, presentation, precise dialogue with all the psychological trimmings, you'll find it in NUMBER ... PLEASE ?

Forward by Paul Alberstat, Banachek, Larry Becker, and Barrie Richardson.

** NUMBER ... PLEASE ? is only US $25 + US $3 p/h. **

(Out of the country, please e-mail for rates.)

Richard Busch
8209 Thompson Run Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237-6347 USA

** SPECIAL DEAL DIRECT FROM ME TO YOU! **

Need a copy of my PEEK PERFORMANCES ? This is the book informed mentalists all over the world are already calling a must-have classic on peeks and
information acquisition, a graduate course of study.

Order from me now and pay only US $75 + US $6 p/h for both books, US $7 p/h on the left coast, or e-mail me for p/h. That's a whopping savings of $15. Put something really cool in your summer. Order today.

(Out of the country, please e-mail for rates.)

Any other questions, please ask.

Sincerely,

Richard Busch

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2002, 12:56 pm

My house and card keys are on my Ringer key ring so I usually do the borrowed finger ring to key ring trick. I'm always asked to do it again and I can. The instant repeat plays even stronger. If gimmicks are not allowed I do my borrowed torn and restored dollar bill with the visible restoration. I always carry business cards so I'm always prepared to do a good business card trick too.

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2002, 7:01 pm

If I had no props I would perfom the twisting arm
illusion. It's simple clean and you know when you see their jaw drops that they will remember you for a long time.

Made in Pete

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2002, 5:24 pm

With Meir Yedid's finger Fantasies, you always have a miracle on hand...or should I say at your fingers (yes, pun intended)

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2002, 6:07 am

For years the only prop I ever carry me it's
Two silks for doing Slydini knotty silks.
Answering to Jefrey Cowan it's apt for all situations.
Good for children, adult, its free angle, can't be done standing, can be done to one person or in stage, it's visual magic ,very diferent to the run of the mill.
You can do two phases or more (I do five). It's very entertaining, makes people laugh. But above all it's VERY STRONG, and looks like impromptu.
It's not too much used for its difficulty

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 21st, 2002, 8:15 am

Robert... you keep your color changing knives in your pocket wherever you go? Even on airplanes? :D :confused: :D
Stay tooned.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 21st, 2002, 8:39 am

You have got me there Pete. When I get on a plane the knives go into my suitcase. :)

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » August 21st, 2002, 9:01 am

Originally posted by Robert Kane:
When I get on a plane the knives go into my suitcase. :)
My favorite airport security joke:

A little old lady was going through airport security, and the screener discovered a pair of knitting needles and told her that he would have to confiscate them. The little old lady assured him that she had just wanted to do some knitting on the flight, and that she would never harm anyone. The screener replied "I'm sorry, ma'am, but we can't take that chance. You might knit an Afghan."

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » August 21st, 2002, 9:17 am

Hi,
A little bit strange that nobody mention any version of the three balls routine. This kind of routine has everything: apparition,disparition and transmutation. Also a question for peoples doing card tricks using specific cards (like aces) in a truly impromptu situation: did you have the aces already ready to be produced when you take your deck out or do you have to run thru the pack for removing them before starting your effect (wich in my opinion do not look very good).
Thomas

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » August 22nd, 2002, 5:43 pm

I took this notion to mean that you are with some people who ask you to do a trick, and somebody offers you a deck of cards. I said I'd do the original Twisting the Aces, but I would first produce them in a magical way. So, technically that's two tricks, isnt it?

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » September 25th, 2002, 5:30 pm

Originally posted by walkinoats:
If you were in a situation where you could only perform one trick, which one would it be? and why?
Chris
I wouldn't do a trick. I'd show them how the diagonal palm shift works and impress them that way...not that they'd be impressed with how it's done, but with the fact that I would study it for years like a flipping idiot.

And after all that time, I'm showing it to SOMEBODY.

L-

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2002, 11:50 pm

Now im the first to admit that im not a fan of mental magic. In saying that , however, i believe that in the situation proposed (ie only having the chance of performing one trick) i would perform Paul Harris' "The Anything Deck". It is a fantastic and extremely strong routine that i think is frequently overlooked. I have found that although some table space is required it is well worth the strong impact on the spectator .... =)

magically,
steven :p

Return to “Close-Up Magic”