Walter Scott Peek Deal

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tommy

Walter Scott Peek Deal

Postby Tommy » December 16th, 2004, 6:05 pm

Amongst other things, it's said that Walter Scott could deal cards in rhythm and at the same time peek them.
Can any of you guys do this, or better still does any one teach it.

Best Regards

Cooper

mago

Re: Walter Scott Peek Deal

Postby mago » December 17th, 2004, 3:50 am

Yes, I can and the method has been tipped by Harry Lorayne.

It is in one of his books.

Ask the members here and they will tell you which one.

I am not in my magic room now and cannot look it up.

Onward and upward.

Tom Wolf

Tommy

Postby Tommy » December 17th, 2004, 5:28 am

Tom.
That is very good news. I would love to see this in action. I have Phantoms but I have been unable master it from that there. I note that Mr Lorayne puts out a number of DVDs, It would not also be on any of those would it?
Could any anyone tell me the name of the Harry Lorayne book please.

Thank you very much for your help Tom.

Best Regards

Cooper

Postby Guest » December 17th, 2004, 10:35 pm

Originally posted by COOPER:

Could any anyone tell me the name of the Harry Lorayne book please.

Try RIM SHOTS, 1973, p. 73--The Rockin' Chair.

Don't know if it's what Scott used, but if you can do it, you can peek the cards while you deal.

mago

Postby mago » December 18th, 2004, 8:32 am

Hi Cooper,

One bid of advise on learning the "rocking chair" as Lorayne calls it, you need good eyes.

I am not able to do it anymore without glasses.

Trust me on this, it Works.....

Best to you.

Tom Wolf

Tommy

Postby Tommy » December 18th, 2004, 9:42 am

Thats great! I will try and locate it.
I might be too late to use it as my eyes are not what they were.
I had a short talk with Gazzo, it was he who inspired me to investigate this. Up until then, to be truthful, I had some doubt in my mind about it being possible.

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

Cooper

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2004, 10:05 am

It should be noted that the move mentioned in the Lorayne book allows one to peek the cards AFTER they are dealt, as opposed to before. This may not be what you're looking for - you're refering to Scott, so i assume you're thinking of utilizing the peek to apply it in combination with his "favourite" move...if so, you'd want to peek before the card was dealt. I don't have an answer for you but i thought i should clarify the purpose of the "Rocking Chair" move.

mago

Postby mago » December 18th, 2004, 10:10 am

Not true!

Please let me clarify that... You see the cards As they are being Dealt.

He gives two variations and you Are able to see the cards as they are Being Dealt.

I have been doing this move for over 50 years.

He gave us a great sleight here and really is one in which the move "is worth the price of the book".

Onward and upward.

Tom Wolf

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2004, 2:11 pm

Hi Tom,

I think we're refering to different things by before and after. Perhaps i should have clarified what i meant by "before" vs "after" they are being dealt, with respect to the Rockin' Chair technique/move.

In my mind, once the card completely leaves the deck in the left hand, and is soaring through the air, it's in the "AFTER" (or "during" if you will) stage of being dealt. "BEFORE", in my mind, would be before the card actually left the left hand. Does that make any sense?

I use this terminology specifically with keeping 2nds in mind. If you're thinking about 2nds, and i assume anyone asking about Scott is, how much good would the Rockin' Chair move do you? This particular move, while interesting and good, wouldn't allow one to peek cards in rhythm before they left the hand. Of course knowing what cards are going down on the table would certainly be useful in some situations...

Rim Shots is a great little book.

I may have been reading more into the poster's question than i should have - sorry.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » December 19th, 2004, 8:50 am

Thanks for the clarification. The Rocking Horse sounds like a great move and just the sort of thing I was looking for. I will be getting the book. I would, of course, love to able to do what Walter Scott could do.
I deal a good second but I doubt if I will ever be able to peek and deal seconds in full flow. This Rocking Horse move does not sound like the Scott move, but it is new to me and I am grateful for the information. I will be more than happy to deal and peek and leave the slick dealing at the same time for a another day.
It might well be the case that I have misinterpreted what Gazzo said about Scott being able to do this. I will try and get some clarification.

Regards

Cooper

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2004, 11:48 am

Hi Cooper,

I don't know what you and Gazzo discussed, but peeking after the deal would be useful. But as i was saying, the idea of peeking within the rhythm of the deal, as mentioned in the book, probably stems from peeking so as to know whether to retain the top card or not. There are more than a couple of peeks mentioned in the book - i imagine you're probably familiar with them even if you've not read Phantoms - but it doesn't mean they're not intriguing! And they're written up well.

It is a great book, by my money.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » December 19th, 2004, 3:42 pm

I have read Phantoms and I could not agree more with what you say. Intriguing it is. I will go back and study the moves more carefully.
Walter Scott had no more fingers or thumbs than I have. As a card handler I believe that what one man can do another can achieve, given the correct technique and practice. Those that think likewise must find it intriguing that no one seems to be able to do all that Walter Scott could do. My guess is that there is more to Scotts technique than we are aware of. What is your opinion.

Best Regards

Cooper

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2004, 3:57 pm

Hi
My personal opinion is that some people have a natural inclination towards certain things, be it cooking, boxing, singing or card cheating. I also think that those with time on their hands and dedication can get to be very very good at things they enjoy. I am a musician but i work a full time job. I have no doubt that i would become a much better musician if i had more time on my hands, to dedicate towards learning and improving. However, i do think that even if you have lots of time and talent, if you don't have goals and organizational skills, you won't get too far. Scott must have been one of those fiercely dedicated, naturally talented individuals with time on his hands. And possibly good teachers. I think that is key too.

I do know that while i can execute a half decent heel peek, i could not use it with any sort of regularity or rhythm with respect to deals.

People often wonder why one would practice this sort of thing if one has no intention of actually "using it", but to me, that is like asking why one practices iaido - a martial art that will most likely NEVER have direct applications in "real life". I think that one gains something by being dedicated to an art and working on it daily, even if the benefits don't seem directly applicable. I hope this makes sense!

Tommy

Postby Tommy » December 19th, 2004, 5:54 pm

It makes perfect sense what you say. I believe that Scott did it, and someone said that Steve Forte can do it. I think I am frustrated that I can not do it. Perhaps I am looking for excuses. Thanks for your time it has been pleasure.

Cooper

PS
I have now checked the Phantoms book, and it does seem I misinterpreted what Gazzo said to me. The book says that Scott peeked after dealing a players draw cards in poker. Which is not the same thing as peeking and dealing in full flow.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2004, 4:42 am

Ah, now i know which section you mean! The "demo" that Gazzo describes, where he deals out a few hands of 3 cards and knows the "middle" card of each hand?

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » December 21st, 2004, 11:16 am

Yes, I can and the method has been tipped by Harry Lorayne.
This is interesting because Harry Lorayne is left handed and both the heel peek (attibued to Scott) and the standard bubble peek cannot be used by left handed dealers.
Are you sure that what Lorayne describes is the same technique as the one that can be found in the Phantom ?
Best regards
Thomas

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2004, 7:47 pm

Hi Thomas,

i think that what is being said here is that the Lorayne peek is not executed in the LH, nor is it used before the deal ie. it would be a useless technique to try to directly apply to a 2nd deal. It is neither heel nor bubble like in nature. In no way is the Rockin' Chair similar to the stuff being refered to in Phantom(s) other than the fact that one peeks card(s).

Tommy

Postby Tommy » December 23rd, 2004, 5:24 am

http://thedannyhustleshow.com/forums
Danny Hustle
Has put up a video of Walter Scott. Cool!

Regards Cooper

Hold that result!

Gazzo said it is not Scott?

If this is not Water Scott, it is a brilliant hoax!

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2004, 3:25 pm

I suspect Mr Gazzo is just having a go at us.

It's Scott. At least, it's the same man in Gazzo's book, and that's Gazzo beside him.

It was fun and intriguing to watch that clip.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”