Ring on Wand

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Ring on Wand

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 1:08 pm

I recently started working on R. Paul Wilsons "One True Ring". I really like it and I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend some other ring on wand routines as this is my first time with this effect.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Ring on Wand

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 7th, 2007, 2:02 pm

Stars of Magic contains a good section on the Ring on Wand, with about four or five different handlings, including Leipzig's rather nice one.

Sol Stone and Oscar Weigle published a nice routine in one of the early issues of Apocalypse. It's one of the routines that Sol still performs quite frequently. It may also be included on his Quick and Casual Close-up video.

David Ben has published some work on it, as has Ross Bertram. There's also some info in Roy Benson by Starlight which is worth checking out.

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Excellent! Thanks so much Jim. I have been meaning to check out "Stars of Magic" anyway so maybe I'll start there.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 7th, 2007, 2:15 pm

There's a Marlo routine in Arcade Dreams, a Bertram move in David Ben's mini book that was part of a Genii a couple of years ago, Mark Leveridge has a ring on pencil routine on one of his Master Routines booklets. I understand there was a Mike Skinner video on Ring on Wand that is now part of a DVD release.

Jay Sankey has some similar moves in his Ring on Spoon routine.

That should keep you going for a bit...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 2:18 pm

Again, Thanks!

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Michael Weber's "Five Cent Ring on Stick", $1,000 Ring on Stick", and as far as spoons, his "Off the Deep End".

--And wasn't David Ben's ring on stick routine printed in "Tricks"?

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Paul's routine uses a Jardin Ellis ring, which is considerably larger than a finger ring. It may be more useful to look for routines using the Ellis ring, although Paul's is excellent.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » September 7th, 2007, 3:54 pm

The Ross Bertram routine was printed in the Ross Bertram issue of Genii a few years ago...which was a terrific issue.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 4:46 pm

One of the very best and most commercial Ring on Stick routines was done by Dr. Giovanni. He stunned an audience of magicians at an "It's Magic" show years ago when he did it without holding the stick held by a volunteer from the audience. After slapping the stick, the borrowed ring was spinning on the stick's center.

Acting is a necessary ingredient to success with the effect. Only by acting can you convince the audience that you have a ring in your hand when you don't.

One of the best bits of advice on proper handling will be found on Bev Bergeron's DVD where he gives previously unpublished touches on the effect that make it work.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 7th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Galli Galli used a spectator to hold the wand... a well-trained one! :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Originally posted by David Alexander:
Acting is a necessary ingredient to success with the effect. Only by acting can you convince the audience that you have a ring in your hand when you don't.
As is the case with ALL of magic!

DA- I hope you are well.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 6:50 pm

PT- Yes, thanks. The move was crazy, but we're here and we'll get over to see your show soon.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Hey! Weren't you going to Tennessee?

Michael Feldman

Postby Michael Feldman » September 7th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Curtis kam has some interesting work on the Ring on wand.

I am not sure if it's published yet... though I heard a rumor that it had been written up at some point for Genii.

Does anyone know?

It's certainly a good routine
--
Michael Feldman
www.magicmichael.com

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2007, 7:41 am

Dave,

Yes. Tennessee was the original plan and then a close friend became the director of a small museum and found that he needed someone with my combination of skills as his Deputy Director. An offer was made and I accepted. So Knoxville, Tennessee became Aurora, Illinois. The compensation package is very good and I have wide responsibilites. This is the first "real" job I've had in years and for probably the only person I would ever actually work for. He is a MacArthur Fellow who is highly respected in his field. It is quite flattering that I am asked by him to solve problems. Weve worked together on projects for over 20 years.

Previous museum management was awful with the Executive Director poisoning relations with the local movers and shakers. We are overhauling the place from top to bottom. It is an interesting challenge.

One of my responsibilities is to repair the museum's standing in the community. In short, I'm being paid to be nice to people, follow up on promises, be charming and ethical in my dealings with everyone. Because my boss and I are nothing like the previous management, we have been welcomed.

I'm also in charge of training the Exhibit Guides in how to properly present information in an entertaining way as well as doing public outreach, press releases, marketing, etc. It is a perfect job for me and I can still perform in my spare time, although to be honest, doing the 45 minute act was getting to be a bit wearing as I would sweat off at least a pound and a half during performance. I was working my way back to mentalism which is less physically taxing.

My wife and I bought a 138-year-old historic home that's fully restored located 8 blocks from the museum. My morning commute is about 90 seconds.

The only downside is that Ive heard that it snows here. Coming from the desert that is Southern California Ive heard rumors of this snow thing and am wondering what all the fuss is about. It seems to be accompanied by something called cold, which is yet another thing that this native Southern Californian has to experience since we have been accustomed to thinking of cold as 40 degrees. I suppose Ill learn in due course.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » September 8th, 2007, 8:02 am

It's good to hear that you're safe and sound in Chicago David.
Winter in SoCal doesn't do the word the same justice as it does in the Midwest.

But now that you're in the Erdnase epicenter who knows what you might find!

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 8th, 2007, 9:03 am

Originally posted by Michael Feldman:
Curtis kam has some interesting work on the Ring on wand. I am not sure if it's published yet... though I heard a rumor that it had been written up at some point for Genii. Does anyone know?
Curtis Kam gave us his ring-on-wand routine at Fechters, which Im writing up for early 2008. And Romaines handling for the ring-on-wand (called Wander-ring), in which your own ring is employed as an impromptu doppelganger, was published in the April, 2005 issue of Genii.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 8th, 2007, 10:57 am

Aurora IL? My stepson works at Chili's there and lives nearby. He's also at Northern Illinois University going for a Master's. You want a great nice small town, check out Naperville.
Stay tooned.

Michael Feldman

Postby Michael Feldman » September 8th, 2007, 2:44 pm

David,

Glad to hear it will see print sometime soon....

When I saw Curtis' routine recently, there was a subtlety where he used his own ring without taking it off to represent the spectators. Is that Romaine's idea? or were they different concepts.
--

Michael Feldman

www.magicmichael.com

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2007, 9:27 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Aurora IL? My stepson works at Chili's there and lives nearby. He's also at Northern Illinois University going for a Master's. You want a great nice small town, check out Naperville.
Naperville is #2 on Money's Top 100 Places to Live. The museum's Exect Director lives there. As Aurorans tend to support other Aurorans, I chose an historic home in Aurora for a variety of reasons, one of which was affordability and the other being convenience. My commute is about 90 seconds which was something to consider when that cold white stuff falls from the sky.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2007, 7:08 am

Jim Ryan Close-Up Sensational Stunners By Philip Reed Willmarth - Jim Ryan's Rope Ring And Wand.

Great routine.

I hope this helps.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 10th, 2007, 4:28 pm

I love this trick! According to Jim Maloney, Leipzig's method is in Stars of Magic.I recently re-read the chapter on "Ring on Wand" and don't remember seeing Leipzig's method described. As far as I know, in this text, Vernon descibes "Leipzig's Opener"(A card color change routine utilizing a selection), "Leipzig's Pride" (Stack of Quarters), and a quickie where the Queen of Hearts jumps from one half of the deck to the other.

Many thanks for the tip on the Bev Bergeron DVD, David. I will follow up on that. Nice to see you back on the Forum. Moving to the Chicago area from the West Coast had to be really tough. I excitedly await your book on 20th Century Silhouettes...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 10th, 2007, 4:33 pm

For awhile I have a great commute. I lived on the 13th floor of an apartment building and the company I worked for had its offices on the Penthouse floor. I just took an elevator to work! And yes, I was late about once a week! (Of course that was for our 6:00 a.m. staff meetings).

This was in Long Beach, CA, and I worked for the Grand Prix Assn. :D
Stay tooned.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 10th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Originally posted by Leonard Hevia:
According to Jim Maloney, Leipzig's method is in Stars of Magic.I recently re-read the chapter on "Ring on Wand" and don't remember seeing Leipzig's method described.
It's there, just not credited. See Method #3.

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2007, 1:15 pm

Ron Bauer published his ring on stick as "The Cursed Ring" in his Private Studies series. I asked about it at a Detroit magic shop and Tom Gaddis demo'd it for me. I'm a jaded ol' guy, yet the ending surprised me so much that I felt a cold shiver run down my back! Of course, they made the sale that day.

Love to do that trick.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 11th, 2007, 4:24 pm

The third method? Thanks Jim! :)

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2007, 4:25 pm

I like Reid McClintock's Ring on Wand -- at the back his "Defiance II" on the Cups and Balls. I also like Daryl's Ring Rope & Wand off the A-1 All-Stars Video. But I'm not a big follower of the plot...

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 11th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Originally posted by Michael Feldman:
David.... When I saw Curtis' routine recently, there was a subtlety where he used his own ring without taking it off to represent the spectators. Is that Romaine's idea? or were they different concepts.
Id say the concept is the same (i.e., the use of your own ring, either in whole or in part, as a doppelganger), but the execution is completely different.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 11th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Tommy Wonder describes an elegant Ring on Wand sequence in the first volume of The Books of Wonder. In addition to detailing his thoughts and finesses, which are beautiful, Tommy suggests Vernon's Ring on Wand chapter from The Stars of Magic as an excellent starting point.

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 3:25 am

Please find here an incomplete overview of the "ring on wand" routine...
hope this helps....
----------------------

Modern Magic
Professor Hoffman
co.1876
page ?? To Pass a Ring invisibly upon the Middle of a Wooden Wand, the Ends being held by two
of the Spectators

Magic
by Ellis Stanyon (1901)
page. 203 . The Ring on the Wand

The Art of Magic
By T Nelson Downs (1909)
Page 331 The Ring on the Wand

The Art of Modern Conjuring
By No Author
Published 1909
Page 190 Magic ring and wand

Later Magic
By Professor Louis Hoffmann
Published 1918
Page 115 The Climbing Ring
Page 191 To Catch Rings on the Wand

The Tarbell Course in Magic Vol 2
(c) 1927 Tarbell Systems
page 072 Rising Ring On Wand: A borrowed finger ring rises on command when placed on magician's wand.

Tarbell's Course In Magic Volume 6
D. Robbins & Co. 1927/1975
page 359 David Tobias Bamberg's Ring in Ball of Wool: includes ring on wand

Secrets of Magic
By Harry Blackstone
Page 152 chapter 11. New ring on wand

The Hundred Best Tricks
By J. C. Cannell
Published 1932 by Hutchinson & Co, London
Page 123 A Ring of Ribbon and a Wand

Zauber im Gesellschaftskreise (German)
By Paul Neumann-Karlsberg
Published and Copyright 1933
Page...072 Ring und Stab

The Magic of Alan Lambie Vol 1
By Tony Taylor and Micky Hades
Published and Copyright 1970
Page 19 The 1946 Rising Ring on Wand

Hugard's Magic Monthly Vol 7 No 12 May 1950
page?? VERNON'S RING ON THE WAND

The Boys Book of Conjuring
Edited by Eugene Stone
Published and Copyright 1952
Page 168 The magic ring and wand

Bill Simon, Sleightly Sensational
Copyright 1954
35 The Ring on Wand

Conjuring Trix and Jardine Ellis Ring Effex
By Hans Trixer
Published and Copyright 1955
TRICKS WITH BORROWED RINGS
Page 15 The Ring on Stick
TRICKS WITH THE JARDINE ELLIS RING
Page 05 The Ring on Stick

Book of Magic
By Peter Warlock
First Edition (10,000 Copies) November 1956
Page 019 The Ring On The Wand

Close-Up Magic
-for the Night Club Magician-
By Jean Hugard
Published and Copyright 1964
Page 10 Ring and Wand

The Mad Mad Mad World of Bob Lynn
By Bob Lynn
Published and Copyright 1968
Page 08 Wand, Ring and Box

The Oriental Magic of the Bambergs
Albo Volume I
By Robert J. Albo
Written and Illustrated by Eric C. Lewis
This edition has been limited to one thousend numbered copies.
Published 1973
Page 100 Ring On Wand

Final Classic Magic With Apparatus
Albo Volume VI
By Robert J. Albo
Published 1973
Page 189 Ring on Wand

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
page 307 Ring on Wand: a ring vanishes from a handkerchief and appears on a pencil pushed through a paper bag and held by a second spectator

Stars of Magic
(c)1975 Louis Tannen
page 84 Series 6, No. 1 (1950): The Ring on the Wand by Dai Vernon: 3 methods. Ring is removed from a wand even though the ends of the wand are held

Patrick Page, The Big Book of Magic
Copyright 1976
Page 173 .......... The Ring on Stick

Presto - Magic for the Beginner
By George Schindler, 1977
page 128 elevator ring illusion

Tarr, Bill: 101 Easy-to-Learn Classic Magic Tricks
copyright 1977
page 188 The Rising Ring * -- Ring on wand rises, alternately, the wand can rise instead.

On Your Feet
by Horace Bennett
Published and Copyright 1978 by Jerry Mentzer
Page 11 Improved Simplified Ring on Wand

Tom Sellers, Best Sellers
Page 160 .......... Rising Ring on Wand

Oriental Conjuring and Magic
By Will Ayling
From an Index by S. H. Sharpe
Illustrations by L. Edmunds
Published and Copyright 1981
page 12. The Ring on Wand.

Bill Miesel
Fork Full of Appetizers, Book 1: From Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic
Copyright 1982
page 59 Ring on Wand Routine (Karl Norman)

Olson, Robert: Extra! Extra! Extra!
The Added Touch; 2 Hands, 3 Pockets, 4 Magic; Magic With Giant Coins
(c) 1984
page 32 Ring on Wand: References New Tops May 63 Rosini Ellis Ring Routine. Simple routine.

Magic Manuscript
Volume 6 Issue 2
September/October 1984
Page 49......... Ring On Wand

Apocalypse Vol 7 No 1 Jan 1984
page 874 New Easy Ring Load (Tom Craven): secret loading for finger ring on wand

Eldin, Peter: The Magic Handbook
copyright 1985
page 110 Ring On Stick--Ring penetrates wand under cover of hank.

Derek Lever, Ken Brooke and Friends
Copyright 1986
page 113 KEN BROOKE ROUTINE FOR 'RING OFF WAND'

The Professional Touch
by Billy McComb
Copyright 1987 by Martin Breese
Page 097 The Professional Ring On Stick

Martin Gardner Presents
by Martin Gardner 1993
page 44 Ring on Stick (Jack Miller)

Close-Up File
(c) 1994 Jerry Mentzer
page 139 DT Ring Flight (Dan Tong): A borrowed finger ring appears in the center of a magic wand. It then vanishes from a paper cone made from a dollar bill to be found in the performer's key case. Uses a commercial Ring Flight prop.

Parrish, Robert: Great Tricks Revisited, Thoughts on Classics
1995 David Meyer, Magic Book
page 63 To Have and Have Not: An effect using an Owen Brothers Watch Box, a glass, wand and shopping bag. A borrowed ring passes into a locked box on top of a tumbler. The box is placed in a bag and placed on top of the tumbler, wherein the ring drops into the tumbler. Finally, the ring is found back in the locked bag.

Ganson, Lewis: The Art of Close Up Magic - Volume 1
compiled by Lewis Ganson
(c)1996 L&L Publishing
page 195 The Ringer (Horace Bennett): A borrowed finger ring appears on a wand, then links to another ring, unlinks, and are inspected. Uses a more basic idea than the Himber ring.

Racherbaumer, Jon and Edward Marlo: Arcade Dreams, Marlo Without Cards
(c) 1997 Racherbaumer and Kaufman, Pub. by Kaufman and Company
page 92 When the Pull Snaps!: Borrowed ring travels to other hand, or onto wand, into wallet, etc.
page 116 Ring on Stick: requires duplicate or similar 2nd ring
page 122 Ring Ware: Ring and wand using a dinner knife and a borrowed ring

Levent and Todd Karr: Roy Benson by Starlight
(c)2006 The Miracle Factory
Page 25. The Ring on Stick

The Young Conjurer Part 1
By Will Goldston
Published and Copyright by Will Goldston (YEAR ????)
Page 33 The Ring On The Wand

Germain the Wizard
Edited by Todd Karr
Copyright (c) 2002 by The Miracle Factory
Chapter 11
Four Methods for Ring on Wand

The Life of Benson
Todd Karr
year 2005?
page?? Ring On Stick

Secrets - Malini, Leipzig, Vernon, Jarrow, ...
by U. F. Grant year??
Page 11 Three methods of working the finger ring on wand trick. Including the Leipzig Method.

----
hope this helped...
i do miss some publishing years, see above...if you can update...it would be nice!
enjoy...

jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 4:50 am

There's a video of Daryl performing a ring, rope and wand effect that i think was credited to Charlie Miller (i have it on the L&L World's Bestest Magic dvd). There's other stuff by other guys on the dvd too (the Al Schneider stuff with the pencil and ring will fool you good).

I should mention that is stuff done with a finger ring, rather than a bigger ring.

I have both the L&L world's best finger ring and bigger ring dvds. My opinion: the finger ring stuff has some really magical looking things on it. The other dvd, not so much.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 12th, 2007, 6:23 am

Originally posted by Jacky Kahan:
The Art of Magic
By T Nelson Downs (1909)
Page 331 The Ring on the Wand

Germain the Wizard
Edited by Todd Karr
Copyright (c) 2002 by The Miracle Factory
Chapter 11
Four Methods for Ring on Wand
Note that both of these describe Leipzig's method and credit it to Elbert Clinton Adams. Adams was a friend of Leipzig's from Detroit and they often shared tricks with each other. In fact, it was Adams who first introduced Leipzig to the thimbles, something which became a main feature of Leipzig's act.

Secrets - Malini, Leipzig, Vernon, Jarrow, ...
by U. F. Grant year??
Page 11 Three methods of working the finger ring on wand trick. Including the Leipzig Method.
The Leipzig method is here, but uncredited. Like Stars of Magic, it's the third method described.

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Wonderful guys! Thanks again. I think I
ll be at this one for the next two lifetimes with this many sources!

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2007, 6:52 am

Originally posted by David Alexander:

One of the best bits of advice on proper handling will be found on Bev Bergeron's DVD where he gives previously unpublished touches on the effect that make it work.
And you can see Bev Bergeron perform his version on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHX_ru8HRSo

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 19th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Thanks for posting that clip Vraagaard! Bergeron does it beautifully. His third method flew by me and fooled me very badly! Wow!!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 19th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Originally posted by Leonard Hevia:
Thanks for posting that clip Vraagaard! Bergeron does it beautifully. His third method flew by me and fooled me very badly! Wow!!
It was very nice. And that third phase is Leipzig's handling, from what I can tell. (#3 again...interesting...)

I very much like the way he handled the first one.

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 12:17 am

Jim, you might watch the clip again, it's not the Leipzig method on the third phase this time.

Thanks very much for the link to that clip. I saw part of an early videotape of this routine long, long ago, and it got me started on my routine. But I never got the performer's name. When mine pops up in Genii, I hope David will slip in an appropriate (i.e. huge) credit to Bev Bergeron.

And as long as we're talking credits, the fourth method in Stars of Magic is Roy Benson's.

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 2:41 am

I seem to recall Rich Bloch lecturing a nice version of ring on stick a few years ago.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 20th, 2007, 6:20 am

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
Jim, you might watch the clip again, it's not the Leipzig method on the third phase this time.
I was actually going back and forth on it for several minutes before making that post, since I wasn't entirely certain. It's definitely an extension of Leipzig's, and a rather bold one at that. (Unless I'm still way off track on it...)

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 7:53 am

Somebody mentioned it but I will again...

David Ben's book "Tricks" published by Squash Publishing has a GREAT write up on this effect. I saw David perform his routine at Magic Inc. and he really blew everybody away!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”