Jay Sankey magic lecture questions

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Jay Sankey magic lecture questions

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2001, 11:25 pm

Sorry all...don't see another place to post a question like this.

I got an invitation from a very small local magic shop inviting me to a Magic Lecture with Jay Sankey. I'm new to all this lectures and stuff, I didn't think there was an interest around here. I've heard of the name but don't know much about the guy...could somebody give me some insight

I've also never been to a magic lecture so should I go and what should I expect? What should I take with me? Do I take a notebook and take notes or what...do I just listen and is there a question and answer section or is it just a show and then you buy his products.

There is also a dinner with the IBM Ring 239 with guests: Don Schultz, Gordon Snow, Jack Dowden, Deitz Cornelius, Darin Rock, and Troy Roark. I've never heard of these guys either.

Now I would love to go but I have to take vacation days off of work since I work nights...Is it worth it to take time off for shows like this? Do you learn a lot? Just curious for some feedback

Re: Jay Sankey magic lecture questions

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2001, 12:59 am

Jay Sankey is a nonstop madcap power lecturer. If you learned nothing, the pure enjoyment and fun of the lecture would be worth it. If you like high energy madcap comedy, you will love Jay's lecture.

That said, his magic is strong, makes an impression, and fits many skill levels.

Unique to Jay is the amazing deal he makes for his products. You could go and take copius notes but you would miss out on a lot of fun. Jay has always made rediculous bargains available to those who want to buy all his stuff.

Here's the scoop. Typically at a lecture there are either specific notes or a collection of past notes for sale, $10-$20.

Then there is one routine with special objects that you know you must have, $15

There is also either a book or video tape of the lecturer's material he didn't have time to cover, $25-$35.

You could have $70 invested right there.

Jay usually packages a video of the lecture material (instead of notes) and all of the props for all of the routines covered in the lecture. This typically runs between $50- $65. It is a great value even if you are not going to use one of the props or another.

The pace of Jay's lecture is fast but he is always open to any question. Don't be bashful; if you have a question ask it.

As lectures go this is one of the most entertaining which makes it a great first lecture. You will not be bored!

Tom Cutts

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 16th, 2001, 12:59 pm

The only drawback to seeing Jay Sankey as your first ever magic lecture is that you may get the mistaken idea that all magic lectures are like that.

Go see Jay Sankey. The laughter alone is worth the price of admission.

When Jay Lectures, he'll teach so many tricks your head will spin. Instead of trying to remember everything, just buy whatever notes he's selling for a great bargain. That leaves you free to try to remember the little tips which don't show up in print.

Also, Jay will sometimes forego demonstrating a trick and just launch right into the explanation. This can be confusing -- especially to a beginner -- so don't hesitate to ask Jay to show you the trick itself.

In fact, don't hesitate to ask Jay _any_ question about anything you don't Understand. I've seen Jay lecture three times and there were some dumb questions asked. But Jay treats every question seriously and gives a very good answer.

Bring a deck of cards -- it can't hurt. But don't be surprised if everything moves so fast you never get them out of your pocket.

Pete

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2001, 9:54 am

The most important thing to remember at the lecture: Don't take out your cards and play with them while Jay is performing! If Jay is teaching a move, that's different.
I've been to too many lectures where people are riffling their cards, dropping them on the floor, dropping coins, and generally disrupting the performance part of the lecture. It's rude and disrespectful.
Okay, I'm off my soapbox...

Ben S
:)

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 17th, 2001, 11:18 am

A Jay Sankey lecture. Go. Bring money.

Did I mention that you should go? His lecture notes are great.

Make sure you go.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2001, 11:43 am

Ben makes a great point that I whole heartedly agree with. I hate it when my attention is split between the lecturer and someone in the audience that has to shuffle or do his card manipulations during the session.

Personally I don't bring cards with me to a lecture. My opinion - It's not my night to perform. I will listen, but the notes and try to enjoy the lecture. I don't take a guitar to a rock concert so I don't take cards to a lecture.

I apologize if I stole your soapbox but you make a great point !! :D

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2001, 12:28 pm

Not to be a poop head but, I always brought my guitar to my guitar lessons. It was easier to learn that way.

This isn't a magic show, it's a teaching lecture...a class if you will.

Bring your cards, follow along with Jay when he asks (Flipwich and his killer force whose name escapes me right now), have 'em ready to ask questions afterward, just don't play with your cards during the lecture. I doubt you could and keep up with Jay anyway.

Go, relax, enjoy.

Tom Cutts

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2001, 12:35 pm

Poop head? I see your point but unfortunately most people can't resist the urge to pull the deck out during the lecture.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 17th, 2001, 3:05 pm

Guys, I don't think anyone will argue with the fact that it is much easier to follow along during a lecture with cards in hand. I don't see anything wrong with that (and I've given a few lectures). At the MAGIC live convention in Vegas in August, Earle Oakes gave a brief lecture on some bits of Origami to perform with a dollar bill. I was thrilled to hear the rustling in the audience as hundreds of people following along! That's real participation.
I think what IS annoying is when someone pulls out a deck of cards and sits there practicing something like the pass during a lecture--a sleight that has nothing to do with the lecture. The person is just practicing (an activity better done at home).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 4:05 am

Richard stated my point better than I did. I should have clarified it better. My annoyance is strictly with those that are toying with the deck doing sleights or whatever that has nothing to do with the lecture because I find it distracting. I don't bring cards with me because it is a personal choice.

Wait a second. Did we stray off course or what?

Yes, go see Jay Sankey's lecture. He is very entertaining.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 18th, 2001, 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I think what IS annoying is when someone pulls out a deck of cards and sits there practicing something like the pass during a lecture--a sleight that has nothing to do with the lecture. The person is just practicing (an activity better done at home).

Hmmmm. There was a guy I knew who I used to drive to magic lectures, who used to sit or stand there the entire time doing the Pass. If only I could remember that fellow's name . . .

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 18th, 2001, 1:36 pm

That was a loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time ago, Uncle Matt!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 4:35 pm

OK here's what we can agree on:

1)Go to Sankey lecture.

2)Bring cards.

3)Bring guitar.

4)Laugh a lot.

5)If anyone passes or sybil cuts during the lecture, bash 'em over the head with the guitar.

6)Buy Jay's stuff.

7)Be prepared for Jay to be more whacky than this post.

8)Enjoy yourself. No, I didn't mean it like that...enjoy the lecture :rolleyes:

Tom Cutts

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 18th, 2001, 6:44 pm

Although I didn't particularly need one for Sankey's lecture, a notebook is also handy, especially if you have a crappy memory as I do. Even though notes will be available (and it's NICE to buy stuff from the guy, as lecturers usually are paid very little and make their real money from sales), the notes may fail to include some bit or nuance that was especially important to you. Or the performer may do a few tricks that aren't covered in his notes.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 11:29 pm

Thanks for all the advice all...I'm convinced, I'm there. I'll be sure to let you know how I enjoyed my first lecture.

David Prouty

Postby David Prouty » October 19th, 2001, 12:40 pm

First lecture ?? Jay Sankey ??? Oooohhhh ...
Your lucky and I'm envious ! ;)

David Prouty

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 19th, 2001, 1:18 pm

Originally posted by Steve Bryant:
Although I didn't particularly need one for Sankey's lecture, a notebook is also handy, especially if you have a crappy memory as I do. Even though notes will be available (and it's NICE to buy stuff from the guy, as lecturers usually are paid very little and make their real money from sales), the notes may fail to include some bit or nuance that was especially important to you. Or the performer may do a few tricks that aren't covered in his notes.

Also, the process of writing it down will help you remember it (even if you never look at your notes again).

Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2001, 12:10 pm

Just to let you all know that I went to the Sankey lecture last night and is was unbelievable. I thought Jay was hilarious. I did take along my cards (just for him to sign) left my guitar in the car...and took a few notes but really didn't have to because he explained everything well. I only jotted down the names of some of the moves he mentioned as to know what to practice.

Jay was truly an entertainer and his card handling was great, but what I couldn't get over was his coin handling. He is the first magician I have ever seen in person and I was awestruck at what could be done. His coins across and coins through table just blew my mind. I was truly sucked in!! Whatever he did worked because I learned soo much and yes I did buy his package...I'm sure I won't be dissapointed.

Thanks again for talking me into going, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in the future to help me with some of these techniques.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2001, 12:47 pm

Glad you liked it. I like going to lectures. Some are good some are bad but I always like going.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”