"backbone"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

"backbone"

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2003, 9:47 pm

"...various lifts, the side slip, the pass and the palms; these sleights are the very backbone of modern conjuring." Expert Card Tech.
With that being said, I have learned the pass through Royal Road to Card magic and also the double lift RRC- two sleights that I have been concentrating on recently.
Question:
Am I safe to confidently imbed these handlings or are there new handlings for the pass and double lift that may offer a better and convincing sleight than what has already been stated in Royal Road to Card magic.

Re: "backbone"

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2003, 7:36 am

Royal Road is decades old.

There has been much progress on both of these sleights since then, although RRC gives a good foundation (and the moves as taught there are more that sufficient for most people, and most tricks).

To learn a lot more about the Pass, get:
1. Richard Kaufman's tape on the Pass
2. Ken Krenzel's tape on the Pass (originally from Videonics, re-released by L&L a couple of years back).
3. Jim Swain's 3 tapes of magic, each of which devotes a section to a couple of passes, and tricks using them.

All of these are good resources for variants, tricks, handling, and most importantly, a chance to see experts doing the maneuver, and what it looks like (or, really, to NOT see experts doing it).

For finesses, see the Steve Draun's book (for the midnight shift), RK's Derek Dingle book (and the DD tape from Jeff Busby, as well as the two Larry Jennings tapes from the same source -- all three have some beautiful demos of the pass), Jay Sankey's 2nd Sankeytized tape, and Gary Ouellet's book The Pass (and companion videotape).

The pass is one move which I learned more from video than books -- it requires timing, and an attention to hand placement, finger position, choreography, etc., which is just easier to learn from video than printed matter.

The pass is a move which requires much practice. You would be better served to learn about as many types and techniques as you can, from as many EXPERT practicioners as you can, and synthesize what you learn into your own style. Your hands are shaped differently than Kaufman's, Dingle's, Krenzel's, and any one else's, so at some level, your pass won't be EXACTLY like anyone else's. But you can learn from each of those teachers.

The best way to learn it is to study with a good practicioner, who is also a good teacher (ask Matthew Field about studying with Richard Kaufman).

Practice some more. One hundred times a day, for a year, isn't too much.

The Double Lift.

See Greg Wilson's "Double Take" video for a survey. See Rafael Benetar's videos for expert handling of a double, that looks like a single.

The best source of help for me was unexpected. I was learning a pushoff Second Deal from Simon Lovell's 1st book. He breaks down the move into steps -- learn the two-card pushoff, learn the take, learn timing. The two-card pushoff turns out to be a great utility move, and is the best setup for a double lift that I use.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2003, 11:13 am

Thanks Bill for your comments. I am surprised I have not heard from anyone else. Maybe this is a no-brainer. I have been working with the pass on and off for about 11 years now but NEVER in performance. My handling is from RRC but I have also read through the Braue pass and also LePaul's Invisible Turn-Over Pass. Would other people also agree with Bill that Kauffman's video would be an updated version and Greg Wilson's video on the double lift would be a wise investment. What about Daryl's video on card sleight's (regarding the lift I don't think he goes into the pass)?

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » April 25th, 2003, 12:28 pm

my two cents ... a pass requires you to move 52 cards to get the selected card on top ... moreover it is technically very demanding to accomplish undetectably

a Side Steal moves only 1 card ... while not being the hardest sleight to learn, it still requires good technique and misdirection but it can be done effectively ...

I did the math and learned the Side Steal ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 25th, 2003, 1:29 pm

Send an e-mail to RK and ask him to publish "Passtituton" in Genii, then you won't have to practice the Pass.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2003, 11:59 pm

Originally posted by Danny Archer:
... a pass requires you to move 52 cards to get the selected card on top

a Side Steal moves only 1 card
While that's literally true it's not the whole story... In a classic pass you are moving two blocks of cards which are held as units. Dingle reportedly perfected his classic pass using two deck sized blocks of wood.

In a side slip you're isolating one card from between two others so you have to overcome friction in the cards above and below the selection. That's three things to deal with.

A pass is simply cutting the deck... you just have to learn to disguise or hide the action.

The reason for learning the pass is that it teaches you. I like to think of the pass as the algebra of card magic. You may never use it directly but you can't do higher math without understanding it.

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2003, 5:19 am

So why not just cut the deck? Oh wait, I think this topic of debate has already been made. :)

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2003, 10:24 pm

Just so I am clear...

What is the difference between a shift and a pass?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 27th, 2003, 11:15 pm

Jack Brabham uses Shifts.
Joe Namath used Passes.

Seriously tho... a shift and a pass, in card parlance, is the same.

Frankly, cutting to a break is much easier, and highly recommended. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 28th, 2003, 7:54 am

I always thought that a "shift" was the term used by card sharps and "pass" was later used by mainly magicians.

Is that correct?

Postby Guest » April 28th, 2003, 8:03 am

it depends which card sharps you speak to. A "hop" was also common sharper parlance for a pass I believe.

Ian

Return to “Close-Up Magic”