Which is the best colour changing knifes set?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Which is the best colour changing knifes set?

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2002, 4:26 am

I all, I would like to add this effect to my repertoire but would like some views on the best set, also any advice on some reading and watching to help with my routine?

Also how many of you use this effect and what are the reactions? Would you recommend I spend the time on this effect?

Darren

Re: Which is the best colour changing knifes set?

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2002, 7:38 am

Tamariz knives

Stefan Sprenger

Postby Stefan Sprenger » August 30th, 2002, 8:59 am

Hi,

yes the Tamariz knives are still the best, up to my knowlege, but are hard to find!

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 30th, 2002, 3:21 pm

If I may I would like to say the Scotty York Knives. They look like real pocket knives, they feel like real pocket knives and well in my own personal oppinon they rock. These are extremely difficult to get. But the hard work will reward you handsomly. I heard they were going to be making these again, but that could be a roomer. Mogar knives are nice to. thank you for reading this post. :)

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » August 30th, 2002, 4:16 pm

dk,
Joe Mogar's Color Changing Knives are
the best knives on the market today.I
think they are collector quality knives. Whit Hadyn's knives are made
by Mr.Mogar as are the Hot Rod Knives that are advertised. Ihave the Merrill
and York and other odd sets of knives and none handle as well as the Mogar
Knives.See for yourself-www.mogar.com

Regarding routines-a little research will show Roy Walton, Alex Elmsley,
Fred Kaps, Juan Tamariz,Matt Schulien,
Ken Brooks, and many others have wonderful routines to work with.

Earle

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » August 30th, 2002, 4:20 pm

Sorry,That is Ken Brooke not Brooks.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » August 30th, 2002, 5:37 pm

I would have to say that the Tamariz Knives are very good. I will not venture to say the best, because I haven't seen them all.

The only thing I do not like about the set is that the blade is not a quality blade. I think is made in China.

As far as the symetry goes the knife it is great. Also very flat, with no flashes whatsoever, very nice to work with.
I'm pretty sure I can manage to get them from Spain.
If anyone is interested, post it here in the board, since I am on my way to Spain.

As far as the routines ,do not pass the moves published in Sonata, by Juan Tamariz, and GET BY ALL MEANS, Ascanio world of knifes, which still remains the masterpiece in the subject.
:p
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 30th, 2002, 8:01 pm

I use the Tamariz Knives which are still available from Stevens Magic Emporium. They are wonderful knives and perfect for the moves described by Tamariz, Levand and Ascanio.

Mogar Knives are also very nice too as are the Scotty York Knives.

In terms of quality of materials, the absolute best quality color changing knife set that I have seen are the Eric Wolf Knives available from Al's Magic.

Problem is that they are so beautiful that I am afraid to use them. :)

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 31st, 2002, 2:50 am

I have never heard of these knives before. W :) here is Al's magic?

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » August 31st, 2002, 8:04 am

Just reviewing my post on the Tamriz knives. I Have to rephrase myself saying that the blade is not a quality blade for using it as a knive. But how many of us are going to be using them as a regular knive????

As I said I know the manufacturer in Spain, if anyone is interested, talk now or hold your peace.

:D :D
Carlos Hampton

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 31st, 2002, 9:07 am

Reed: Try this link:

http://www.tobias.cc/alsmagic/

Then do a search for knives. Hope that helps. Regards, Robert

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » August 31st, 2002, 10:03 am

Curiosity killed the cat, and I ended up looking at the knives in Al's website.

I have to say that the Tamariz's knives have more color surface, as matter of fact all the side of the knive is color, not metal at all, thus making it more visual.
The middle rivet is not existant in the Tamariz knive, making it more simetric. Also the blade when closed does not protude to side but just a bit, making the paddle move much easier,not like the ones in Al's site.
The mogar knives are not symetric making some of the moves imposible.

The blade might be cheap, but once again. Who is going to use them as a regular knive???
Carlos Hampton

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 31st, 2002, 10:34 am

Thank you I went and checked them out they are nice looking. Very elegant.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » August 31st, 2002, 11:10 am

Here is the link for Stevens and you can see the difference in the knives.

These have few or none competitors. stevens
Carlos Hampton

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 31st, 2002, 12:17 pm

Anyone have Daryl's knives? I like the sound of the routine and the ending amuses me but I've heard that the quality of the knives is poor.

Anyone using them?

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 31st, 2002, 12:46 pm

Bill: I like the Daryl routine, but the quality and feel of the Daryl Knives left a lot to be desired. The knives were larger and flat, thus a bit harder to handle.

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » August 31st, 2002, 1:49 pm

The Daryl routine is one that spectators do like. I've performed it hundreds of times for spectators and have they have always enjoyed the routine.

The knives are so strange. They are large and somewhat difficult to work with. The actual color is a bit of paper "inside" the knife that is covered by plastic. So, you see the color through this plastic. Daryl says he had them made this way so spectators wouldn't be able to see the other color....I think it's not needed.

His routine is a bit long...I've shortened it by removing one of the transpositions.

For other knives:
Joe Mogar's knives are quite wonderful. High quality stuff (as Earle said far above).

I asked Gordon Bean at the Castle library about knife routines, and--I think--he showed me a small set of notes by Mr. Hayden.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » August 31st, 2002, 3:15 pm

FWIW, I long lamented and whined about not having obtained a set of Scotty York knives. The Mogar knives would have to do. Okay. Then Joe Mogar comes out with the set of stag handle knives for Whit Haydn's, "The Intricate Web of Distraction." Now we're getting someplace! Finally, during a conversation with Whit during this year's WMS, Bill Wells (Scotty's partner in the FYEO apparatus line) joined us, and opined that the Mogars were superior to the knives sold under Scotty's name. (Bill, I hope I'm not telling tales out of school here.) That settled the matter for me. BTW, the Karl Norman routine from "40 Years at the Forks" is also a real beaut! :D :cool:

George Olson

Postby George Olson » August 31st, 2002, 7:03 pm

Let's not forget the Grand-daddy of all Knife Routines the genisis for Scotties and most others -- Matt Schulien! His "belly plam" was fantastic, I've almost got mine out so tha I can do it Stand-Up

G ;) eorge :rolleyes:

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2002, 7:59 pm

I like Mogar's knives the best...specifically the Whit Haydn knives. I also had the Scotty York knives but sold them. They're beautiful and easy to handle, but have one big problem (at least I had this problem when I used them). The knives have a silver/chrome emblem on one side of each knife. While this has nothing to do with the trick, quite often spectators would say, "Oh, you're just pushing that little button to make them change colors." It happens enough for me to stop using them.

Ron Reid

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2002, 11:50 pm

I also use Tamariz design, they have the rigth size and quality, and dont flash the other side. In different to others, they are plain sides, don't have metal tips,(people won't think they are gimmicked), and they look like knives used for ordinary use,not the kind used for mugging (a very useful tip when doing close up magic, you don't want to be considered a burglar). Nowadays it's possible obtaining them. And one month ago has been republished Ascanio "navajas y daltonismo" the "BOOK" about knife magic. All the conditions for rediscovering knife magic, a branch, I think forgotten for a lot of magicians, sorry for them. But all professionals know their impact.
One question: Millard Lichter routine ?
Thanks

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2002, 1:29 pm

The best set of knives I have ever used were the Alan Alan set, Tannens used to sell them (maybe they still do). The set consisted of 3 knives and one side was chrome, the other looked like blue pearl...very attractive!

Mike

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2002, 3:05 pm

I haven't tried many different knives but I like the Alan Alan set also. I bought it from Tannen. Maybe Mike sold it to me? :) Not only do they look very attractive, but since the surfaces are so different (chrome/blue pearl, flat/concave, textured/smooth), for some reasons it adds to the effect.

Postby Guest » September 3rd, 2002, 4:38 pm

I haven't tried many different knives but I like the Alan Alan set also. I bought it from Tannen. Maybe Mike sold it to me?

Jackie,

Perhaps I did...I did sell a boat load of them in my tannen days. Between the Alan Alan knives and The Beggar coins...wow, if I recieved a quarter for every set I sold...I'd have lots of quarters :) !

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2002, 4:13 pm

The mogar knives are not symetric making some of the moves imposible.
Is this true of the Stag version of the Mogar knives? I, too would like to pick up a good set of knives but I want to be patient in my selection. Should I pursue the Tamariz knives or are the Mogar ones better?

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2002, 3:10 pm

thank you all for your advice, but I guess my best bet is to try some out and see which ones suit me and my style, as I'm based in the Uk does anyone know of a UK dealer that has a selection so I can see them for my self?

Also where is the scotty york routine in print and where? as I think he best suits my style and I like the way he thinks.

DK

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » September 7th, 2002, 3:27 pm

Gary,
I couldn't find the above quote in the previous posts-is that yourself that you are quoting? If so, how is the Mogar knife not symmetric and what moves are not possible with the Mogar
knife?

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2002, 8:18 pm

Earle,

Thanks for reading my post. I was quoting Carlos Hamptons post on Aug 31 at 10:03 am. I am leaning toward the Mogar stag knives because you can feel which color is where but I am also impressed with what has been said about the Tamariz knives. If the Mogar stag knives handle as easily as the Tamariz I think I would go with them. If not, the Tamariz would be an excellent alternative.

Also, do any of you color knife changers use an earth magnet to have your alternate knives ready? This seemed like a good idea when I read about it on the Mogar website. Their ad for the magnets sound good but raised a question for me. What exactly is "The holdout?"

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2002, 4:05 am

One UK dealer who is carrying the Mogar Knives is Peter Crush.
www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/Prestomain.htm

Return to “Close-Up Magic”