Roberto Light

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Roberto Light

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2005, 11:59 am

For the Spanish or German speakers on the forum, I would like to find out about Giobbi's Robert Light trilogy, which unfortunately hasn't been published in English yet. From the descriptions they seem to concentrate on strong effects without too much "fingerfertigkeit" (knucklebusting, I presume). Are these books as worthwhile and as valuable as his Card College books?

Edwin Corrie

Re: Roberto Light

Postby Edwin Corrie » July 8th, 2005, 1:29 pm

I have the German edition of the first one ("Roberto Light"), which is around 100 pages in A5 format with soft covers. It contains seven routines, each comprising three tricks; sometimes they are linked, sometimes the idea is that it's easier to memorise them in groups. The tricks themselves are technically not difficult at all, and everything is explained in great detail along with the thinking behind the methods, subtleties and sources. There are also lots of nice Card College-style illustrations by Mr. Giobbi's wife. It's been several years since I read the book properly, but I believe most of the effects are either the author's own or else his handlings of things by others. According to the introduction they are all taken from Giobbi's working repertoire and are designed for both at beginners and experienced magicians who just want foolproof material that doesn't require too much technical ability.

I don't have the other two but am thinking of getting them as they are sure to be of the same quality. There's also a large hardback book called "Card Perfect" and a manuscript of ace routines called "Fantasia in As-Dur" (Fantasy in Ace Major), both in German. I saw the former about 10 years ago and now regret not getting it, as I believe it's out of print.

The "Light" series would be an excellent translation job for someone (me, for example, if I didn't have two small children and 10,000 other things to do), especially given the success of Card College.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » July 8th, 2005, 8:56 pm

I have all three volumes (light, super light, extra light) of Roberto's Light Series in German. These are excellent books with some of the best "self working" routines with cards in existence.

These three books are now being republished I believe as one volume in German. I think eventually these will also be translated into English as well as be available in digital form :)

Best,
Chris
preserving magic one book at a time.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » July 9th, 2005, 3:30 pm

Chris, do you have any idea about when they are to be published as a single volume in German, and by whom? If it's soon I might wait instead of getting "Super Light" and "Extra Light".

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » July 10th, 2005, 4:51 am

The three volumes were reprinted singly in a new edition just some months ago so I do not think there will be a combined one volume version in the near future.

Denis

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » July 10th, 2005, 10:13 am

Presumably those are the ones being sold by the Zauberladen Zrich:
http://www.zauberladen.com/shop/advance ... ds=roberto

Pity, my "Roberto Light" is the older edition, so I'll have to buy them all in order to have a matching set.

Postby Guest » July 10th, 2005, 8:00 pm

Actually, I just emailed Stephen Minch at Hermetic Press with an offer to translate the Roberto Light trilogy, and he replied with the news that they are already undertaking that project. So hopefully before too long the English speaking world will be able to enjoy these works!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”