Who is the best coin magician you have seen?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
steve

Who is the best coin magician you have seen?

Postby steve » September 27th, 2001, 9:26 pm

I don't intend for this to be a "so and so it better than so and so" thread, so let me frame the question with a little background. I enjoy coin magic, and I am new to it, relative to most of you guys. I buy a lot of stuff, videos, books, lecture notes, and attend lectures when I can. My question is who have you seen that blew you away with coins, and perhaps also has some great material available to help us newbies learn?

Certainly, Roth is as the top of my training list. The list of coin guys is fairly long, but I would like the opinions of all of you working magicians on who is someone that a new person should be watching closely if he wishes to learn the art of coins.

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Steve S. ]

Re: Who is the best coin magician you have seen?

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2001, 1:47 am

I don't perform coin magic myself but I enjoy watching those that can. In my opinion, David Roth is tops on the list of the guys I have seen. His strengths are not just in sleight of hand but also in structure of a routine. His stuff looks like magic.

I recently saw a videotape of a magician named Curtis Kam that was really impressive. Once again, not only was his sleight of hand top notch, but he also did a wonderful job structuring the routines. The routines flowed very nicely.

I can imagine that in order for coin magic to look anywhere near as magical as David Roth or Curtis Kam, you will have to invest many many many hours, days and months (and years) to achieve success. (Plus these guys have a talent for it. A "touch" if you will).

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2001, 12:12 pm

Absolutely hands down the best I have ever seen is Chris Korn. He does the most difficult sleight of hand and does it flawlessly. I also have to say Troy Hoosier is extremely talented as well, he exhibits the touch you speak of Mark.
I will say that although I have never seen Roth live, his Purse and Glass routine floored me when I saw it the first time. Very Magical. So yes Roth is up there too.

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » September 28th, 2001, 3:12 pm

I had a chance to meet Chris Korn in Hong Kong for an evening and witnessed some wonderful routines with coins, stuff I had never seen before, but I would also like to add the Chris himself told me that for him, Homer Liwag was one of the very best with coins he had seen, I saw Homer on Video once doing impromptu stuff with a pen and a mobile phone, he certainly has got the chops and the timing, I would love to hear more about this gentleman if anyone would be kind enough to share.Thanks

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » September 28th, 2001, 4:50 pm

Its hard to say who's the best because Ive seen several people who for one reason or another I like them.

Sol Stone is the smoothest at coin magic that Ive seen.

Eric DeCamps, Curtis Kam, David Roth, Cris Korn and Troy Hoosier are all great. I like them all.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » September 29th, 2001, 6:21 am

I know others have great chops...but the best I have seen are James Lewis and Roger Klause. Clarity of effect along with stylish presentation.

I am a big fan of Two Copper, One Silver... both Roger and James have killer versions :)

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2001, 7:01 am

hi.

What about John Carney?? I saw him last year in sweden, he got a very soft touch with coins, and also cards. But specially his coinwork is awesome.
Also Davdi Roth is outstanding, he is number one with coins!

Daniel

steve

Postby steve » September 29th, 2001, 7:50 am

I have Richard's books (CoinMagic and Roth's book) and I know of Sol Stone's work. Does anyone know if he has been captured on video doing any coin work? If so, what would it be on? Perhaps a better question is on all of the people mentioned. I know of Curtis Kam's "Palms of Steel", and most of the other main stream publications.

I bought a couple of tapes from Steven's in my dire search to find material with Bobo on it. If there is footage of him (which left my jaw dropped open and slobber running down my chin), then I would imagine there is footage of a lot of the people who are mentioned.

The thing that blew me away with Bobo was how simple he kept it.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » September 30th, 2001, 7:04 am

Best coin workers I've seen (in the order in which I met/saw them):

Slydini
Sol Stone
Derek Dingle
David Roth
Chad Long (doesn't do tons of coin material, but what he does is outstanding)
Mike Gallo
Roger Klause
Rune Klan

Coin workers that I have yet to meet but would *love* to sit with some day:

Curtis Kam
Harvey Rosenthal
Chris Korn
Dean Dill

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 30th, 2001, 4:15 pm

I don't think there's going to be a lot of debate about David Roth's dominance of the field of coin magic since the 1970s. There is simply no one else as technically good or as creative.
That said, Derek Dingle, in his day, was one of the best coin handlers in the world, as was Geoffrey Latta (whose book will be published by Stephen Minch in the next few years).
Don't forget about Chris Kenner, who handles coins with great fluidity. And recently, of course, Paul Wilson has established himself highly with his Ramsay-esque style of handling.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

steve

Postby steve » September 30th, 2001, 8:36 pm

Yes Richard, I agree, David Roth is the master of all coin magic. I was careful in constructing the question because it wasn't meant to be a debate about who the best ever is/was. The question is more guidance for me on who I need to be looking out for when lectures come up, or books/videos come out, so that I might learn from someone other than Roth. I personally believe one should not learn from a single person. That would only make me a Roth wannabie. I prefer to watch as many people as possible and create my own style. But, I can't do that if I don't know who the industry thinks are the best.

I think Mr. Cummins left his own name off the list. Excellent work on your own coin work, if I do say so myself. Darn backclip!!!

Thanks for the replies to this thread. It does help me a great deal to know who you guys enjoy watching. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for all that have been mentioned.

I personally saw David Stone and his work live was excellent. He smoked me very badly and I thought I knew the tricks he was doing. Well, I knew the tricks, but he modified the methods when he did them for me, which left me speechless. He was very smooth.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » September 30th, 2001, 9:18 pm

Steve S...you are correct about Mr. Cummins. I saw him perform a coin matrix/chink-a-chink bit back in Vegas a few years ago. I was stunned (in a postive way) to say the least. :)

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2001, 12:25 am

I don't think you will get an argument from anyone when you put David Roth on the top of a list of best coin magicians ever seen. David's work has influenced many magicians and he is arguably the modern day master of the specific art.

I have probably been influenced most by Roth's work, Paul Cummins' video was also an epiphany for me on his back clipping work.

Without listing the names already presented within this thread, I would add two to it...

Bob Fitch has an ability with coins that is not to be overlooked. After a Bob Kohler lecture I was privileged to watch Mr. Fitch "play with coins". For one who considered himself to be able to follow coin magic sleight of hand, some of what Bob did completely confounded me. I did not witness a masterpiece of routine plot and construction, but rather simple unadulterated coin play. Bob in my opinion has captured the essence of coin magic - which is efficiency of motion. He would take any coin concealment I named and transition into another with minimal hand movement.

I would also add to the list the aforementioned Bob Kohler. Bob proved to be quite an accomplished coin magician, with the highlights obviously being Ultimate 3 Fly and his handling of Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins.

Steve S, if you are interested in coin magic, I have a whole website dedicated to that specific niche at www.coinvanish.com. Therein I have reviews of some of the most recent coin material released. Also are a few essays on foundations of coin magic, simple building blocks to help get going in coin magic.
Another website you may wish to visit is hosted by my friend Dominic Reyes, called The Coin Purse www.coinmagic.com. Also dedicated to this niche of magic.

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Dan Watkins ]

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Dan Watkins ]

Richard James

Postby Richard James » October 2nd, 2001, 2:49 pm

By far the best Coin Magician I have ever seen is Andrew Galloway. I spent an afternoon with him a couple of years back and he blew me away.

In saying that, Andrew is simply the best Close-up Magician I have EVER seen with ANY object.

The only possible exception is his Card Handling. During the afternoon, he didn't really do ANY card 'tricks' Maybe he IS the best card Handler too? But I can't comment on that as I have never seen him work with cards!

It's a pity that he isn't better known :(

I know that Ricky Jay, John Carney and David Roth have all spent time with Andy. Although I have been told that Andy didn't perform ANY magic for Roth. Why? Because Roth sat in Andy's chair :D

Regards to All,

Richard James

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Richard James ]

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2001, 3:33 pm

Hi All.

By looking trough all these threads, I'm surprised not to see the names of Michael Skinner, JOhn Carney and David Williamson. I surely concider these guys to be some of the greastest close-up magicians the world has seen.

Daniel

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2001, 6:27 pm

If you are seriously interested in stunning coin magic then I urge you to track down a video by Stevens Magic. It is the Magic of Canada #2. On it Gary Kurtz performs a whole coin routine entitled "Full Frontal Assault". I defy anyone to figure out ANY of how it's done. I watched the performance of it five times before I watched the explanation. When I watched the performance again, armed with full knowledge of the method, I still couldn't see him do any moves!

Some of the routine involves sleeving and his technique is flawless and invisible. Remember, Carl Cloutier used to be a student of Kurtz's (now you know who to blame!) and seeing Kurtz's performance here it's not difficult to see what inspired Cloutier. The whole routine is one of the most magical pieces of coin MAGIC (not simply a trick) that I have ever seen. And yes, I have seen Roth, Stone, Korn, Carney et al.

Considering how great Kurtz's popularity was in the magic community a few years ago I'm surprised that this awesome routine isn't more widely known. He did release it as a separate manuscript but I don't think did much to try and promote it.

If you take time to find and watch the video, I'm ceratin you won't regret it.

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » October 2nd, 2001, 7:08 pm

Mark you are right Gary Kurtz was one of the best coin and cards handler there was. He abandonned close-up magic though to be a very good mentalist.

By the way Full Frontal Assault was not explained on the Magic from Canada video.

Cheers :)

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2001, 7:25 pm

Yves,

Indeed, Kurtz's creativity as a mentalist is establishing a great reputation for him in the 'real world'.

His 'FFF' routine is definitely on the Magic of Canada Vol.2 - it is one of only three videos I own.

Here is the link to Steven's website:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/videocatalo ... waters.asp

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » October 2nd, 2001, 8:12 pm

Mark,

You are right. I just checked and it is explained on the video. Sorry to have misled you.

Cheers :D

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2001, 8:25 pm

Mark,

I did not know Gary filmed an explanation to the routine. It's nice to know its out there.

I have a performance only tape of him doing it. It took me quite a few watchings, but if you are familiar with Gary's work (from his books and videos) you can eventually figure out what he does, nevertheless, I agree knowing and seeing what he does are two different things. Some things I know he did by logic and tell tell moves, I could not for the life of me actually see it!

Dan

Ryan Swigert

Postby Ryan Swigert » October 2nd, 2001, 11:01 pm

I would have to say that my favorite coin workers are Chris Korn, Homer Liwag, and my friend Jason Wethington. I have been very grateful to hang out with these gurus and watch them develop into the masters that they are.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2001, 7:21 am

The best coin magician I have seen is
"Shigeo Futagawa","Yoshihiko Mutobe","Curtis Kam".

Now I am interested in New Generation, So I want to meet "Rune Klan", "Kainoa Harbottle
" ,"David Stone". I think they are very good magician.

I saw David Roth and talk with him. He was best coin magician and Now he is very good coin magician, But he is not best,I think.
:)

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 4th, 2001, 2:19 pm

Its hard to say who's the best. It becomes a matter of opinion. Whos the best performer of coin magic? Who has the best routines? Who is technically superior? this not only relates to coin magic but you get the point. I think the question should be who do you like the most?

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2001, 2:58 pm

On my earlier post I forgot to mention Homer Liwag. He is undoubtedly one of the finer real-world close-up magicians in the world. Also Paul Cummins is very talented.
Steve I think you are wise to seek out as many different sources for coin work. Also Bob Fitch yes is talented but really there are so many talented peoole out there it is difficult to name them all!

Thanks Swigert for the nod in this category but you know the rule "When the Koin-man is around my coins go away!" good to see you on here hope you find what your looking for. Till then keep "Kickin' Back"

By the way Richard I for one am looking forward to the Latta book. I think he was truly great in both the card and coin genre's. Was he ever captured on Video that you know of?
Cheers

steve

Postby steve » October 4th, 2001, 5:01 pm

Brian, I specifically didn't say "Who's the best" because that is greatly an opinion. Please read my initial few posts again, and you'll see it wasn't meant to say who is better than who, but rather a guide to a novice on who to be studying, other than the well known guys.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 4th, 2001, 6:35 pm

Are there any videos (with or without explainations) of Dr. Sawa's coin work? I have the NYMS video with "Bad Tailor" on it but I'd really like to see some of his other stuff...

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 4th, 2001, 7:25 pm

Steve I wasnt necessarily refering to you but several responses to your post.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 17th, 2022, 9:41 pm

Here's an old thread! Time to resurrect.
Who are the folks currently doing great coin magic?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 18th, 2022, 12:50 am

Eric Jones sure is good.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » October 18th, 2022, 1:12 am

Bob Kohler was mentioned only once and Armando Lucero wasn't listed at all. Bob and the late Tim Conover are the two best I have ever seen; and Armando's Menagerie matrix routine is legendary.

It's been over 10 years since Tim (tragically) left us, but Eric Mead is writing a book about Tim's magic. Jump on it when it arrives; Tim was textbook perfect and a genius when it came to coins (and really everything else). Bob Kohler does coin workshops from time to time (in person in Vegas before Covid; and also virtually; check http://www.bobkohlermagic.com/workshops ... kshop.html), and is an excellent teacher. Armando holds in-person workshops, and also has a monthly subscription site https://thehungryimagination.com/ -- where you can see some performance video on the home page.

None of this is intended to diminish the praise justifiably showered on the other names offered before. They are great too.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 18th, 2022, 2:18 am

Luis Piedrahita has great chops and really entertaining presentations. I love to watch his stuff and get fooled while I'm smiling. His Coins and Other Fables is but a taste of his talent, and he deserves a big book.

Kainoa Harbottle also belongs in the conversation, IMHO.

I must confess though--some of the other current "coin stars" seem to have eschewed Rothian naturalness in favor of concealments involving bizarre finger contortions. (My wife routinely busts those types of performances, reminding me that just because they can't see the coin, a hand that looks like it's having a seizure will not fool anyone)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 18th, 2022, 3:28 am

It's interesting that because this thread is 21 years old, no one at the time knew about Bertini, and in the passing years he's slipped off the radar a bit so is out of mind again.

But Bertini wipes the floor with everyone mentioned here, at least on a technical level.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 18th, 2022, 7:44 am

It depends on how we are defining the term, “coin magician.” If we mean a magician who does coin magic almost exclusively, or at least primarily, then I would say David Roth. If, however, the term, “coin magician” is defined broadly enough to include any magician whom we’ve seen perform magic with coins, even if that is not their specialty or predominant medium, well then I would unhesitatingly say:

Bill Malone.

While few (if any) would dispute that Bill is in the top echelon of card workers of all time, he is not "known" by most magicians for his coin work. And, at least to my knowledge, he does not have the expansive coin repertoire of Roth, or others who specialize in coin magic. But my opinion is based upon quality, not quantity. Despite the bravado Bill exhibits when performing, those who know him well, know that he is truly humble, and so he would probably deny that he should even be mentioned in this conversation.

Nonetheless, Bill has a gift for immaculate and eye-popping sleight of hand, regardless of the prop or medium, like no one I've ever seen. I have had the honor to sit down at the table with him and behold his dazzling and beautiful coin work at close range, and like everything he does, it is a transformative experience. There is an intangible quality to everything he does, including coins, that defies description, except to say that it is truly beautiful and artistic, and above all, Magical. He is the quintessence of the expression, that certain special something.

Getting more specific, while I have seen him perform a number of feats with coins, I would say that Bill's Matrix routine is my favorite coin routine of all time.

While I'm at it, I would be remiss if I failed to give honorable mention to Chad Long, with whom I've worked and have seen perform some phenomenal coin magic on a number of occasions. But Bill is definitely numero uno in my book.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » October 18th, 2022, 11:12 am

I have been receiving irritated rumblings from the spirit world from a deceased magician who is highly irritated that his name hasn't been mentioned once while David Roth has been mentioned many times. I am referring to grumpy old Albert Goshman.

I met him once in Ireland at a convention and I well remember him being highly irritated when various magicians were frothing at the mouth to him about how wonderful David Roth was saying that he was the greatest coin magician in the world (which he was of course). Poor Albert growled, "What about me?" The assembled Roth worshippers didn't respond, so poor old Goshman then snarled, "David Roth has no presentation" which I silently thought was a load of tosh since I always like Roth's presentational abilities.

I really do think David Roth was the best coin magician I have ever seen but for a different reason than the rest of you I imagine. I have watched him many times but I have only a vague idea of what tricks he did and can barely remember the effects. That is because I have a very low attention span for tricks and although technique is very important in coin magic the admiration of such is not my main priority. In fact too much technical finger flinging in magic can be a detriment rather than an advantage.

No. I admired him for his rythmic patter. He didn't give long winded stories but got on with the job at hand. He said what he needed to say and kept the attention that way. The visual nature of his work did a lot of the talking for him anyway.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 18th, 2022, 1:03 pm

Homer Liwag has a lecture early next month online via Vanishing inc.
Curtis Kam has some lecture material available online.
There is a DVD collection of Sawa's coin magic.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » October 18th, 2022, 1:51 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Danny Goldsmith.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » October 18th, 2022, 4:19 pm

The term 'best' is always going to be subjective. It just takes me back to arguments that we'd have in the school playground, usually around football teams, etc.

However, if the question was 'who inspired you with coin magic', then I'd have no hesitation in saying - Bobby Bernard. I met him as a young teenager in Hamleys Magic Dept. - where he would often hang out on Saturday Mornings.

The moves that he performed with normal coins simply blew my mind. I can remember, as if it was yesterday, seeing Bobby perform Spellbound for the first time. It was a truly amazing effect - and was considerably more magical than the plastic flim-flam being peddled over the counter.

Bobby must have seen something in me - as he gave me free tuition; being a kid from an East London council estate; my parents would not have been able to afford for private lessons.

Life is full of coincidences; and when he met my Dad, they both realised they'd known each other in the early 1950's - when they were both members of a London-based Magic Club - The Institute of Magicians.

In return for these lessons, I managed to repay Bobby with bags full of fake cigarettes - ideal for cig. manips. My Sister worked for Philip Morris; and these fakes were used in their displays.

Tuition continued and Bobby taught me the power of sleeving with coins. I could be wrong but even many of the aforementioned masters of coin magic didnt/don't overly appear to exploit such a useful method of making coins appear, disappear or transform?

Bobby appeared to use a number of coin moves not overly popular. Of particular memory was learning the Purse Palm, the Himber Vanish and a number of Bob's own ideas, such as something he named the Crease Palm. He also taught me how to sleeve - correctly.

In 1978, Bobby released a booklet of his Coin Magic as part of the Lewis Ganson/Supreme Magic 'Teach in' series. He autographed a copy and alongside a lovely message, drew a cartoon of himself - something he'd apparently never done previously. Suffice to say that this booklet has a very special place upon my bookshelf, even to this day.

He also taught me Dice Stacking - but that's another story.

I know that Bobby Bernard wasn't everyone's cup of tea. He told it as it was - which some may have found offensive. To my mind, it was simply honesty; and he ripped my handling to pieces many times whilst learning. I never personally took any offence.

So there you go - the reason(s) why Bobby Bernard is at the foregfront of my thoughts whenever Coin Magic is mentioned.

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Peter Ross » October 18th, 2022, 5:35 pm

Herb Scher does the most amazing coin rolls I've ever seen.

Roy M. McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » October 18th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Mickey Silver is a great coin man.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » October 18th, 2022, 5:53 pm

I completely forgot about Bobby Bernard. He was indeed a VERY good coin magician! He should certainly be on the list. I actually learned his dice stacking routine which is excellent. And I remember he taught a very amusing card trick in a lecture for young magicians of whom I was one. I actually described it on here once and I think Alfred tried it out and got a good reaction from it. I have never done it myself because I could never be bothered sticking the cotton wool on the playing card The trick was called "It's got whiskers on it"

As for sleeving I learned that from David Berglas of all people! Ganson wrote up his method somewhere or other. I have used it for years.

Anyway, look what I found!

https://boutique-magic-effect.com/produ ... is-ganson/

Return to “Close-Up Magic”