Whose trick is this?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Whose trick is this?

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2002, 4:05 pm

Has anyone seen this, or anything like it, in print?

Four cards are choosen and placed on the table. The cards are shuffled into the deck by the spectator who then also cuts the deck into four. THEY turn over the top cards of which pile and they match the spectator's cards.

You touch the deck briefly after they shuffle but apart from that the spectator does ALL the work?

Adam Brooks

Re: Whose trick is this?

Postby Adam Brooks » July 19th, 2002, 5:37 pm

I know Marlo has a bunch of "spectator cuts to, and turns over the aces" handlings. Aces are easily replaced with chosen cards; my personal favorite handling can be found in MINT Vol 1. I don't have the book with me, but a quick skim over Marlo's methods will surely give you something useful.

Also, although there's no cutting, it might be worth checking out the first phase of Tom Mullica's Pasteboard Massacre (I think that's what it's called). Four cards, selected and lost, then each spectator pushes a card from a tabled spread, and the four cards pushed out are the selected cards. It utilizes a simple switch that is well covered. Check it out in "Showtime at the Tomfoolery" by our own Kauf-man.

My two pesos,

Adam

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2002, 5:53 pm

I have a cool method for the effect and I want to know if anyone else has had the same idea. It would work as a spectator cuts to the aces though.

Basically, I force the same card on four spectators each time pretending to place the card face down on the table but really keeping the card in the deck. The spectators I believe they are thinking of a different card but really it is the same.

Therefore, when they shuffle the deck. You quickly spread through under the guise of showing how shuffled they are and cut the selection to the top.

The spectators then cut the deck into four piles. They then flip over the top four cards. You ask each spectator one by one if their card is there and they reply in the affirmative not knowing they are all thinking of the same card.

Is this clear and more importantly is this original?

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » July 19th, 2002, 6:44 pm

Hi Nick,

I like the thinking behind your method. It's somewhat similiar to the Tossed Out Deck mentalism piece.

Applying it to an effect such as this is a nice twist.

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » July 19th, 2002, 6:48 pm

Another thought I just had...

In which position would it be best to reveal the force card? By this I mean, if it was the first card turned over all participants would react, leaving a suspicious anti-climax towards the end?

I imagine that ideally all four cards should be revealed in rapid succession, but staying true to the conditions Nick has set it would be difficult to control.

Does anyone have a thought on this, or am I thinking too hard?

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2002, 8:54 pm

The magic is finding ALL four card. I ask each spectator one by one if their card is their in rapid succession. This is when the magic occurs.

Spectators normally hold their tounge and wait until asked, particurally if the card is a secret.

Also I have found that by saying "Your card is there?" "Your card is there?" "Your card is there?" "Your card is there?" in quick succession, I get the affirmation without needing a response.

Now I am thinking to hard....

(Sean - Do you want this trick for Ozmagic?)

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » July 19th, 2002, 9:27 pm

Nick,

You mean Oz Magic - The Online Resource for Australian Magicians, with fantastic reviews, current event details and THE ONLY magic news site aimed directly at the Australian magic population..... :D :D :D

Sure!

If anyone else has effects, reviews etc. to contribute jump over to www.ozmagic.cjb.net and let me know (and then come straight back to Genii!!!!)

Cheers,

Sean.

Adam Brooks

Postby Adam Brooks » July 19th, 2002, 9:31 pm

Another note on this: I have seen a tagteam of magicians do something wonderful with this idea. Basically, and X-way forcing deck (X being some random number) and some superb choreography and audience management can make for one phenomenal mass mind reading trick!

-Adam

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » July 20th, 2002, 2:29 pm

Originally posted by Nicholas J. Johnson:
The spectators I believe they are thinking of a different card but really it is the same.
Pit Hartling also has several clever applications of this principle. (Somewhere in the Elmsely book Vol.2 this principle is used for a transition (card to case) effect!)

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2002, 9:38 pm

I performed this five times last night at a gig and it went down a treat.

One of the times I performed it the spectator asked the person next to them what card they had chosen. However, when the both realised that they had picked the same card they were even more amazed! While the four were discussing how they had all picked the same card I palmed off the the selection from the deck and said "You can't all have picked the seven of diamonds because the seven of diamonds is in my pocket!"

If you get busted on this...turn it into an effect!

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2002, 11:31 pm

The effect comes from the fertil mind of Al Baker, its described in his book: "Pet secrets" I dont remember the exact name.
The book its a very good investment, a marvellous book, and Bakers version its the best. take a look at it.

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2002, 11:37 pm

:(

Return to “Close-Up Magic”