An open question for Al Cohen and anyone else with the answer

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

An open question for Al Cohen and anyone else with the answer

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2005, 1:42 pm

During my youth, I attended the Magie Montreal Conventions from 1985 to 1993. I greatly enjoyed Mr. Cohens demonstrations.

He demonstrated one effect that completely mystified me and I still think about it to this day. Its funny how I cannot remember some of the tricks that I bought over the years and still vividly remember the one trick that I didnt purchase 20 years ago.

I must have been 12 or 13 at the time, and the trick was almost $100 Canadian at the time. I was trying to convince my father that I absolutely needed this trick but Mr. Cohen confided to my father and me that he did not think the price tag was justified and that I would be disappointed to have spent so much money on this item. Well, that was the first time a dealer was talking me out of purchasing something and it sealed my fate with my father. Purchasing this trick was not to be. I accepted this and respected Mr. Cohens candor.

I have asked many knowledgeable magicians from my IBM Ring about the following effect, but no one recognizes it.

As I recall it looked like this:

The magician displays a small wooden box, a square inch larger than a poker sized deck. The lid is removed and the empty box is displayed (box opens flat, i.e. not from the top like a regular box of cards, more like a shoe box would open). A poker sized deck is displayed and inserted in the box. The box is lightly shaken in order to display the cards moving freely. The lid is placed on top and covers the deck of cards. The lid is immediately removed and the deck is shown to have shrunk to a miniature sized deck which is immediately handed out for examination.

I can swear thats what I saw, but no one else seems to know this trick. A friend of mine showed me a trick he believes is what I described but it involves sliding a gimmick card box from the top into the wooden box (i.e. there is no lid).

Any thoughts on the name of this effect are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I love reading Mr. Cohens column. Keep them coming and dont hesitate to make the column longer.

Al Cohen

Re: An open question for Al Cohen and anyone else with the answer

Postby Al Cohen » October 5th, 2005, 7:44 pm

Wow! That sounds great! I'll buy one myself!
All kidding aside, I think this might have been a special cardbox invented and handmade by Mr. Robert Jackson from Riverside,CA.
Bob made absolutely beautiful things in wood. Unfortunately so many of his items were "knocked off" that I think he just stopped producing his items. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the box.
BTW....Thanks much for the nice comments about my column.
I'll try to keep them coming.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2005, 8:39 pm

Hey, Al, I could use another column! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 5th, 2005, 8:55 pm

The Cohen columns have been a real highlight. Keep 'em coming! :)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 5th, 2005, 10:43 pm

The Jackson products were advertised in either the first or second volume of Ammar's Magical Arts Journal. Not only did he sell the vanishing deck, but also a clever zig zag bill.

Brad Henderson

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 6th, 2005, 9:35 am

Aal, I really like your columns in Genii (first thing I go to) and can't wait for the next one.
Stay tooned.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » October 6th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Another vote for your stories, Al. Thanks for taking the time to write them out.

Steve H

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Thank you.

I hope to find this box one day.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » October 7th, 2005, 7:34 am

Al -

Let me add my thanks to you for the columns...they bring back many memories.

Bill
Bill Wells

dwmagic

Postby dwmagic » October 7th, 2005, 1:15 pm

Could it be the John Fedko box? made of wood, you would put a deck in the base, cover it with the wooden top, lift nad reveal....whatever you would like...cut up cards with selection whole, M&M's.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 7th, 2005, 4:38 pm

At that price point, I am sure it is the Jackson box. I do not know if JAckson invented that type of vanishing deck, but it sure took off. It was in the $100+ price point.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2005, 6:51 pm

I seem to recall a Jackson item that was advertised as the "Wishbox". I used to be on Sterling Creations maililng list so I might have received the ad from them. Are any of Mr. Jackson's items available anywhere?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”