"Out of This World" Final Display

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

"Out of This World" Final Display

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 12:17 pm

The other night at the Magic Castle some of us were discussing handlings for the final display of "Out of This World". Everyone has a different method of turning over the the "wrong" pile.

It's seems that the best possible method is the one that satisfies a critical-thinking audience time after time, night after night.

I'd like to know how the "real world" card workers deal with the display of the "wrong" pile? And, from your experience "in the field", WHY does it work best that way?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: "Out of This World" Final Display

Postby Matthew Field » November 25th, 2002, 12:58 pm

Scoop it up, turn it over, re-spread showing the same order as the other pile, remove the two face down indicator cards, put them together and toss them out, face up.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 1:13 pm

It depends on which method you use. I use the version where you do not change packets halfway through.

I pick up the packet with correct colour on top, look through to find the last correct cards, the count the cards slowly face up onto the table i a spread, getting faster as I go. When I run out of correct cards I pick up the other pile, quickly drop it onto the half packet left and complete spread. This creates the pyschological effect that I spread all of the cards out

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 1:39 pm

To elaborate on the original post.

Some magicians have the spectator turn over the "correct" pile (because they safely CAN), thus adding a little misdirection, while the magician handles the other ("wrong") pile.

Other performers have some extra handling that "corrects" the guide cards (in relation to the piles) and/or "corrects" the piles themselves.

Bottom-line, have you ever actually HAD a spectator notice that one of the piles, when turned over, is discrepant? Or comment on "guide" cards being in the wrong position?

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 2:02 pm

Go see a version of OUT OF THIS WORLD in Boris Wild's book

yes it uses a marked deck but it's a killer

dig it out

Michel

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 25th, 2002, 2:06 pm

I start turning over the "correct" pile slowly, a card at a time, accompanied by patter. Them ostensibly to save time, I scoop up and turn over the other pile. The guide cards do not appear to be incorrect. No one has ever noticed anything wrong.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 2:19 pm

Have them turn over one correct pile of reds, then the correct pile of blacks.
Magi picks up all of the cards except for the top indicator card. Turn over that pile of cards onto the lone indicator card on the table and spread them out. Pull out face down card and throw it on the table to cap off this wonderful piece of magic! . Does anyone know whose handling this is?

HR

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 2:30 pm

Pick up the correct pile, leaving the first leader ace on the table. Square this packet it the minimum amount necessary to hold it in your left hand. Now withdraw the bottom card and flip it face up onto the leader ace. Continue withdrawing cards from the bottom of the correct and fliping them face up onto the leader ace -- the other ace will come out and be dealt face down somewhere in the middle.

Now pick up the incorrect pile and square it the exact same amount as the correct pile. Turn the entire packet over onto its leader ace, using the exact same motion you did with each individual card.

The unmistakable effect of this handling is that both piles are treated exactly the same, except that one is turned over one card at a time, and the other all at once. Fortunately for you, this difference indetectably reverses the order of the cards.

I don't know of any other way that is both perfectly innocent looking and maintains such a consistency of action.

I worked this out in high school but it's certainly possible that I had seen somebody else do it somewhere, since I was in high school more than 20 years ago.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 3:21 pm

I use Roy Johnsons 'Unworldly' which is a version of the Impromptu OOTW with a shuffled deck, or half a deck as he suggests as its less cards to deal! Also this version only uses two marker cards which you swap half way through, this makes the clean up a lot easier.

As I do it I know the pile on my right side is the 'correct' pile so I turn that pile over and ribbon spread it on the table, removing the face down marker and tossing it aside, to correct the 'wrong' pile all I have to do is remove the face down marker, use it as a scoop to pick up the cards from the table, and it automatically joins the cards of the right colour, I then turn the packet over and seperate it into the two colour groups and leave the two groups beside the ribbon spread, making for a nice display.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 25th, 2002, 3:37 pm

1 I pick up the "wrong pile" first and square it up and push the bottom card (it's face up) to the right with my left fingers. It's hidden by my right hand.

2 I spread the deck until I come to the face up card in the center. I put my left thumb on that face up card and separate my hands with the right hand taking the face down cards above this face up card AND the face up card on the bottom (which was side jogged). (This is the sliding key card principle.)

3 I drop the right hand packet on the table, drop the face up card that is on top of the packet in my left hand on the table and show all the cards in my left hand match that card.

4 I turn over the card in the packet I just dropped on the table and show they all match their leader card.

5 And finally I SLOWLY (that's hard for me) turn over the cards in the "right pile" singly and then increasing my pace.

(I think it's very important to turn over the right packet last.)

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2002, 10:53 pm

Hmmm...I prefer Galaxy as published in Art of Astonishment and earlier in MAJ (Paul Harris - The Act) by Micheal Ammar.

The routine itself seems to be a Paul Harris/Wyman Jones contribution.

Two reasons this is a better routine: The first is the spec simply deals a deck of cards into two piles. Saves time.

The second is you done have to mess with the four indicator cards. You only use two at the very start of the routine.

Now to answer the question originally posted. There is still a 'move' that must be dealt with after the two piles are dealt.

After 8 years of performing this I finally came up with a bit of patter that covers this.

I start with the left pile (stage left) and turn cards over one at a time. I am laying the cards out in a semi-circle formation so when I get to my key card I am at the same time running into the two indicator cards. At this point I say "I need more room." Move the two cards while picking up the two piles turning over and spreading the rest out ribbon spread style to complete the half circle lay-out.

Randy

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2002, 11:32 pm

Great idea Randy. I'll steal that!

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2002, 3:55 am

I perform the climax the same way Matthew Field does. It is such an astonishing effect that it is highly unlikely that the audience will notice the guide card discrepancy. It is as safe of a move (if you want to even call it a move) as you could do.

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 5:39 pm

For an extra kicker with this effect, before the spectator sorts the cards, have them draw a card from the deck and remember it. Be sure to have them replace it in the opposite half of the deck from which it was drawn, but of course don't let this be known as they replace their card. You will have to compensate for this in your count as the cards are sorted. What will happen at the end, is that all cards will be sorted by color correctly except for the one they were thinking of.
I tell them that they must have transferred some sort of magnetic interference from their brain to their fingers when they misdelt that one lone card. Sorting the colors is impressive enough to them, but misdealing only one card being the selected card kills them!
I learned this little twist back in 1970!

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 8:10 pm

My favorite method of OOTW is Steve Draun's "Worldly Things" from his book Secrets Draun From Underground, page 133. I would encourage those that don't have this book to run
and look it up. You won't be sorry.

Take care all

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2002, 9:51 am

Personally, I favor the handling that Lennart Green devised. You pick up the first pack and make a break at the split, then pick up the second pile while still holding the first pile with its break. You then combine the piles and display the colors. I may not have done the best job describing this handling. It is on his tape and is very smooth when done to speed. The combining of the two piles is not seen by the spectators as anything more then picking up the two piles and spreading them. Well worth looking at for a viable alternative.

Kingman

Return to “Close-Up Magic”