coin in bottle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brian Marks

coin in bottle

Postby Brian Marks » March 30th, 2002, 8:53 am

It seems not alot of people are doing this effect anymore and I have started to play around with it.
Anyone else doing this routine? Any good published routines? I came across a Michael Ammar version a while ago but I no longer have the book.

Pete Biro

Re: coin in bottle

Postby Pete Biro » March 30th, 2002, 3:28 pm

The trick is so strong you don't need a lot of variations... just SELL...

You can have a hollow cork with the folded coin in it to cut down on the sleight of hand...

I like the beer cap in bottle too... a great item.
Stay tooned.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » March 30th, 2002, 3:49 pm

Howzit Brian,

I'm doing the "Coin In..." table to table here in Hawaii. Nobody, lay or magician, (under the age of 70) has ever seen it. Or at least, can remember seeing it. It's working well for me, and I've discovered the following:

1. The standard "shaking the folder out of the neck into your fist" approach for removing the folder and switching in the regular coin, works. I like and have tried more clever approaches, where the coin appears to have penetrated the side or bottom on the way out, but the extra effort doesn't seem to be worth it. Now I just shake the coin out into my hand, palm it, and drop the regular half into their hands. They immediately dive for the coin, or the bottle. Nobody looks at me. As far as I'm concerned, that's a successful switch.

2. At some point you're going to have to decide who's going to be holding the bottle at the moment of penetration. (I wonder what the Forum smut-editor will do with that phrase?) If you do, you can do the penetration via Williamson's "Striking vanish", which works well for me. (Do not do this with a large wine bottle) On the other hand, if they hold the bottle, you can use a much bigger bottle and you get a great reaction from the person holding it.

3. Do produce the bottle as per John Carney or Jim Stanfield. It works, and it's a highpoint in the routine. I pull the bottle (a small coke bottle)from behind someone's ear.

4. If you pop the coin into a half-filled beer bottle, you can pass it around without fear that anyone will try to shake the coin out.

To answer your question, I'd suggest you read the following:

"Le Perrier"(?) John Carney's routine from Carneycopia, or Ammar's "Encore III"

Don Alan's routine (using a bottle full of water)in Pretty Sneaky (?) what the heck, buy all of his books.

The 3 or 4 routines in Bobo's.

The 2 or 3 routines/handlings in Roth's Expert Coin Magic (the book)

The Johnny Thompson routine availible only from, I'm afraid, Jeff Busby, unless some fellow fourm member has a copy and a sense of irony.

Kevin James' routine for the full-blown, smack down, twist-off-the-bottom-of-the-bottle-and-then-vanish-the-bottle routine, that works standup and close up.

If you're looking for a stage handling (I know you work a lot of comedy clubs, and this is ideal)find anything you can on it by Billy McComb. I believe he did/does it with any coin, British or American, that the volunteer hands him. Sammy Smith also does it on stage, and I believe the Ammar routines are written from that perspective. Kevin's routine has enough stunning visuals to work in a comedy club environment. Ammar seems to be the only person writing about the psychology of the routine, and selling it from the stage.

Good luck, and drop me a line with what you develop. I've got some other stuff on it (like a signed coin, ordinary bottle handling)you might find interesting.

Alpen

Postby Alpen » March 30th, 2002, 10:42 pm

I believe someone had a version in which the coin in the bottle (the routine called for a small bottle) was held by the middle piece (with the wo folding sides on the left and right... pretty much the coin was held upright) by a set of long forceps(the kind used in labs or hospitals) and the coin was pulled out. I've tried it, and it looks great. Just can't remember who's it is... Anyone out there know??

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » March 31st, 2002, 9:22 am

I think John Bannon used some tweezers to pull the coin from the bottle. It looks really cool when the coin comes out and looks normal.

Mike

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 31st, 2002, 10:09 pm

Originally posted by Mike Powers:
I think John Bannon used some tweezers to pull the coin from the bottle.
In Smoke and Mirrors (a great book that I just finished last week... I'm a bit behind the times).

He writes that he got the idea from Rick Johnsson's column in Linking Ring but doesn't say if it was Johnsson's idea or simply one he described. Perhaps RK knows?

It's a great coin in bottle routine. One of those 'worth the price of the book' turns in a book that's filled with a lot of great magic.

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2002, 5:13 am

Check out Sol Stones' up close and personal,

He has a very simple method of putting a coin through a glass jar ( twice ), He then puts the lid on the jar and places the coin agian into the jar. Impossible!!

It is very visual, and he doesnt use the conventional gimmicked coin, its excellent.

I have altered the routine slightly to use any coin, totaly ungimmicked.

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2002, 11:41 am

Check Out Doug Brewer's routine "Down Spout" from his book "The Unexpected Visitor".

Here is an excerpt from my review at www.coinvanish.com regarding this routine:

Coin Routine #7: Down Spout. This is a coin in the bottle routine. A quarter is borrowed, is fairly placed into a funnel, the funnel is placed into the bottleneck. A pencil is used to push the quarter down the funnel into the bottle. The funnel is shown empty. Finally, the quarter melts through the bottom of the bottle.

This trick has the possibility of fooling magicians. The fairness of putting an un-gaffed quarter into a funnel and pushing it into the bottle is very baffling. For laymen, it is equally baffling. For this version you need to carry a funnel with you and a pencil. There are also some additional small items and a gaff needed to perform the miracle.

Dan

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 1st, 2002, 12:16 pm

The Johnny Thompson routine is on the thrid tape of his video series from L & L.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » April 1st, 2002, 5:03 pm

Bob Elliot does it sooo well.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » April 1st, 2002, 7:08 pm

Haven't run into Bob in awile. Probably because he has the new toy yoda (toyota) which he kept telling me about for awhile. Ill ask him the next time I see him.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 1st, 2002, 10:13 pm

The toy yoda (Toyota) joke is Giovanni Livera's! He puts this little rubber Yoda on the table when he says it and it gets a scream.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » April 2nd, 2002, 3:33 pm

I have been using a beer bottle and its working well. Now its just a matter of practise.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 2nd, 2002, 11:38 pm

I know, you are practicing EMPTYING the beer bottle... hehehe :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2002, 10:44 am

Karl Normans routine from 40 years at forks is great.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » April 4th, 2002, 9:01 pm

I am an expert at empying the bottle. Received a PHD in it a couple years back. Its better than a B.A and especially A.A. But you had to see that one coming

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2002, 1:56 am

I was once in a tough eastend pub when I saw an old lag doing a few bits and peices he had learnt while in the jug.One bit was sticking an empty beer bottle to the wall as if it was a static electricity stunt with a balloon.Any thoughts

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » April 16th, 2002, 10:45 pm

Originally posted by Martin Tordoff:
I was once in a tough eastend pub when I saw an old lag doing a few bits and peices he had learnt while in the jug.One bit was sticking an empty beer bottle to the wall as if it was a static electricity stunt with a balloon.Any thoughts
I used to live in the UK, and I remember there was a pub somewhere in London where you could do that with bottles or half-full pint glasses and it was entirely to do with the wall paper they had. I have NO CLUE why or how, it just worked.

Andy.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2002, 8:54 am

Thanks Andy,I have never had the "Bottle" to try it out myself. The guy in question was a cousin of actor Terence Stamp

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2002, 4:51 am

I highly recomend Keven James Perrier with a Twist. This well though out routien takes the coin in the bottle to a whole new level. It does require effort to perfect, but it is worth every bit of it.

Reesman

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2002, 8:04 am

I have just received digital pabular aqnd Larry Jennings reports the bottle sticking to the wall in the Blenheim bar by a guy called Mike. Thank you Martin Breeze :p

Return to “Close-Up Magic”