Name of card effect

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Shawn Farquhar

Name of card effect

Postby Shawn Farquhar » January 11th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Forgive me for this, but I am still rather new to close up. I recently saw two shows that both used the same effect and I am curious to learn the name and perhaps ditributor of the effect.

In both SHADE the movie and T.H.E.M the tv special, the performer displayed a bad hand of poker and by just flicking the corner of the spread out hand the cards changed to a royal flush.

This is a very visual effect and I would be interested in looking into having this for an upcoming production. Any help in finding the name, originator, distributor or publication it may have appeared in would be awesome.

Thanks in advance . . .

Shawn :D
Shawn Farquhar

"if you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not getting the joke."

Ian Kendall

Re: Name of card effect

Postby Ian Kendall » January 11th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Try Wilson's Fan-2-C which you can download from www.rpaulwilson.com

Take care, Ian

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » January 11th, 2005, 1:05 pm

The original is "Zapped," R. Paul Wilson came up with an alternate (excellent & more practical) method.

Search for it on Hocus Pocus or other online dealers.

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » January 11th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Thanks to both of you. I just began the download from Paul's site. I have been a huge fan of his work for sometime.

Cheers,
Shawn Farquhar

David Ben

Postby David Ben » January 11th, 2005, 1:28 pm

The original, by the way, was not Zapped. The effect was created originally by Tom Ransom of Toronto - the same man who invented the Needle Through the Balloon.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 11th, 2005, 1:58 pm

Huh? Really?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » January 11th, 2005, 7:46 pm

Please tell me more...

Today I bought the commerical version from Trickery.com and the download booklet from Paul Wilson but, would love more info...
Shawn Farquhar

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 11th, 2005, 8:27 pm

I don't know where it fits in the picture, but I recently purchased "Royal Flash" by Mark Mason, which is close to the Shade idea (four jacks and a 10 become a royal flush, at which point you can cleanly show each card; the jacks are shown front and back before the change).

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 12th, 2005, 3:11 am

Here's another 'twist' regarding the paternity of this effect.

The following was published in the 'New Apparatus - May 1981' newsletter issued by Busby-Corin, Inc. (San Francisco):

VISIBLE POKER HAND CHANGE - Robert Koch

Inferior versions of Bob's original effect have hit the market recently. We are proud to sell the only genuine and authorized version of this very startling effect. The effect was originally outlined, very briefly, in Ed Marlo's ED MARLO ON THE ACROBATIC CARD in 1967, and was credited to Bob Koch - something which all of the rip-off versions have failed to do.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » January 12th, 2005, 7:16 am

Marco Tempest did something like this in one of his shows, though I've no idea what method he used.

Aside: I always thought the Needle through Balloon was invented by the German magician Boretti. At least, it was marketed by Supreme in England under that name.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 12th, 2005, 9:42 am

The guy who invented the thing spoke for himself here a while ago. Here is a link to his post.

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... p=1#000017

Regards, Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

David Ben

Postby David Ben » January 14th, 2005, 1:20 pm

My mistake.

Tom Ransom originally published the work for the needle through balloon in the New Phoenix. Not sure of the date of any other potential inventor but would love to know.

As for the poker change, I misremembered remarks of the late P. Howard Lyons that he shared with me when I experimented with the set of cards sold by Busby. Tom Ransom, it turns out, had an improvement (with no disrepect to any of the other people who have worked on this trick)on the Koch handling. Tommy altered the cut on the flap, outjogging it a hairline to the left, so that he could deal the cards from the deck pursuant to a regular round of poker and then scoop up the hand of cards, setting the gimmicks in the appropriate manner but with greater ease. This, as I just mentioned, allowed him to deal individual cards and pick up the hand rather than removing the set hand as a unit.

Tom said that he used to make these sets up in the early 70s and sell them. Most were sold at the early F.F.F.F.'s that he used to attend.

So, I stand corrected.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”