out of this world

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
rage

out of this world

Postby rage » January 8th, 2006, 11:50 pm

I would like to know what versions of this trick you all think is the strongest, whether or not it is impromptu, requires a set up or uses gaffed cards. I know JC Wagner has an impromptu version, Dean Dill has his gimmicked version, and i believe it was Charlie Miller or Harry Lorraine that also had am impromptu version.

In any case, this trick really interests me and im curious as to what you all have to say.
:genii:
with an N

Chris Aguilar

Re: out of this world

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 9th, 2006, 12:33 am

Why not try a few out and go with what works best for you?

rage

Postby rage » January 9th, 2006, 12:57 am

absolutely, but for now im interested in what others have to say. ;)
with an N

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 9th, 2006, 3:30 am

Rage1 -- Do a search on this forum for many discissions of the subject.

Matt Field

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 9th, 2006, 7:12 am

Rage:

Do you mean "Sid Lorayne?"

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 9th, 2006, 9:03 am

Sid created the Slop Shuffle. Harry has published several OoTW handlings. IMHO the best is U.F. Grant's with a borrowed, shuffled deck, no set-up.
Stay tooned.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » January 9th, 2006, 10:34 am

I think Bob was playing with the spellings of the surnames :)

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Originally posted by Peter Duffie:
I think Bob was playing with the spellings of the surnames :)
Easy to make that kind of mistake if you haven't taken the Harvey Lorayne Course in...Course in...no, it's gone.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 9th, 2006, 3:36 pm

The correct spellings are "Sid Lorraine" and "Harry Lorayne."

Also, Ricky Jay Sankey, is one person not two.

luigimar

Postby luigimar » January 9th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Aldo Colombini has another impromptu version where at the end you can have the spectator handle the cards and still they separate into reds and blacks. Right off hand don't remember the name. Let me check and let you know. It's a killer.
luigimar

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » January 9th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Out of This Universe and an unpublished effect of mine called Montauk Point
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2006, 5:31 am

Derren Brown has a pretty decent OotW variation which can be found in his video "The Devil's Picturebook", where the spectator shuffles the deck before you start the effect.

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » January 10th, 2006, 8:27 am

OOTW is perhaps my favorite card routine (and of course, this is not a unique point of view), but I agree that you should try out a version or two and see how it plays for you. Your own persona will dictate the version that works best.

Start with the classic Curry method, and then perhaps add the impromptu Lorayne version. (I like to lead with the impromptu version with Harry's subtlties - they're very strong).

I've evolved this with some additional effects and presentational themes into my own little "OOTW show." It can (and usually does) stand alone. It deserves a special place in your arsenol. Please don't do it as a throw-off or casual effect - it's too good.

Fred Zimmerman

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » January 10th, 2006, 10:18 am

A few OOTW routines, compiled at Denis Behr's excellent website www.denisbehr.de (actual OOTW url: HERE )

- Ackerman, Allan Out of This World #2000 2 piles Las Vegas Kardma 156

- Curry, Paul & Grant, U.F. Out of This World discussing the weak points Mastering the Art of Magic 150

- Draun, Steve Worldly Things 2 piles Secrets Draun from Underground 133

- Hartman, J.K. The Whole World in his Hands small packet Apocalypse Vol.3 1799

- Marlo, Ed Three Trips to Out Of This World 3 handlings, one using 3 decks (single color deck approach) Marlo's Magazine Volume 6 221

- Martinez, Daryl Out of this Hemisphere packet version, including a lot of Variations & Additions Out of this Hemisphere 1

- Regal, David Out Of This Borough actually Out Of Escorial Constant Fooling 2 83

- Tamariz, Juan Escorial-76 OOTW but with 4 suits instead only 2 colours, several methods Sonata 172

- Tamariz, Juan & Moreno, Gabriel & Garcia, Luis Half-Escorial half the cards dealt face up, half face down, face up cards change back colour, face down cards as in Escorial-76 Sonata 180

- Tamariz, Juan Short Version cards face down separated in four groups, suit of chosen card all in one pile Sonata 185

- Tamariz, Juan & Molin, A. Stage Version stage version of Escorial-76 Sonata 188

- Unknown Oops Again reversing the centre card to eliminate counting Super Subtle Card Miracles 109

- Zimmerman, Dick Way out of this World 2 piles, including Additions & Variations Way Out of this World 1

rage

Postby rage » January 13th, 2006, 5:40 pm

thanks for your post Jeff. I was able to research some of the ones you mentioned. steve draun's method is my favorite so far that requires a set up. i agree with pete biro about the uf grant version being the best, it is very nice. one thing i really like about harry lorrayne's version, is how you legitimately shuffle the cards, yet they still stay seperated (for the most part). i cant wait to read the other versions next week. :genii:
with an N

rage

Postby rage » January 15th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Is UF Grant's version still available to buy, or is it published in a book somewhere?
with an N

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 15th, 2006, 11:48 pm

I believe the U. F. Grant impromptu version is the same as Harry Lorayne's version, published in Lorayne's MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS. It is a great idea.

rage

Postby rage » January 16th, 2006, 1:06 am

can you confirm that it is the same as published in My Favorite Card Tricks? if so it will be easy for me to read it.
with an N

rage

Postby rage » January 16th, 2006, 11:24 pm

This is a dying thread, but i wanted to post a couple more things.

After some more research, i have found that the UF Grant version is the exact same as the one found in Lorayne's "My Favorite Card Tricks". This is interesting, due to the fact that Lorayne said he came up with this impromptu version on his own. Just the way it goes i guess.
....galaxy is by far the best version that i have found.
:genii:
with an N

rage

Postby rage » January 17th, 2006, 12:38 am

okay, i know, yet another post about this topic, when will it ever end?

but i have a serious question some of you may be able to help me with. in UF Grant's version, you end up with two piles of cards; four indicator cards; one pile is correct, and one pile is incorrect. the correct pile is turned face up to show the seperation; meanwhile, it says to gather the incorrect piles, one in each hand, put one on top of the other, turn the whole thing face up, which would show the seperation.

...whew, i know that was tough...

the problem is this: the face down indicator cards are still in the wrong place...

... the question is: during the final display, do the indicator cards stay face down and never shown?

... it seems like im missing something. anybody with the solution please let me know.

thanks for reading thru this long and complicated post. :genii:
with an N

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 17th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Rage 1:

Do you live in LA, or is that the West Side of Manhattan. If you're ever at the castle on a Wednesday, look me up and I'll show you how to handle correcting the wrong pile.

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2006, 5:14 pm

I can't believe no one mentioned Lennart Green's "Out of this Green World", available on one of his earlier DVDs. Totally impromptu, allows the spectators to shuffle the cards, appears quite clean as there is no switching during the middle of the trick, but to me the key was the move at the end where he shows all the cards except one have turned red, it's a nice illusion, though it's noteworthy that it also fits Mr. Green's decidedly unique style.

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2006, 12:00 pm

I recall one version for sale that used a stripper deck so that even though the deck was fairly shuffled, you could set it for out of this world with one (apparent) cut.

There is another version that IMHO is even stronger where the particpant decides if you will be reds or blacks and which one they will be. You take turns one at a time and remove a face down card from the deck. If you think it is your colour, you place it face down in a pile in front of you, if you think it is not or do not know you place it in a discard pile. When it is done, you spread the discard pile and show it well mixed and when you each turn over your piles it is seen to have only your colour in it. I just can't think of who's this version is and until i get back next week I can't check my library.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Cosmos:
http://www.rostamimagic.com/

Conditions:

* On average, it takes about 3 minutes to perform COSMOS

* After you've learned the METHOD you will be doing it INSTANTLY

* There is NO sleight of hand and NO memorization

* The deck of cards can be borrowed

* The trick RESETS INSTANTLY

* There are no other props involved

* You can perform COSMOS totally SURROUNDED

* You don't have to have a full deck

* The cards can be fully examined before and after the trick

* The cards are not marked

* If you scan the backs into a computer the difference would be ZERO

* No shiners are used of any type

* It's not a Stripper Deck

* The cards are not a "ONE WAY" deck of any form.

* The spectator can shuffle the cards FACE UP if they wanted to

* There is absolutely no deck switch of any type

* The spectator chooses ANY indicator cards from their shuffled deck.

* There is no lapping of cards

* The magician NEVER alters the order of the cards after the spectator has
shuffled them

* The magician and the spectators NEVER look at the faces of the cards
during the separation

* There are absolutely NO peeks used.

* The cards are always kept face down on the table

* The spectator is handling the cards DURING THE SEPARATION

* The spectator can put as many cards on a pile that they like

* There is absolutely NO EQUIVOQUE

* The spectator can put an uneven number of cards in front of the indicator
cards

* The magician NEVER stops the spectator to change piles

* The magician NEVER counts cards

* At any time, the spectator can look at the faces of the remaining cards to
see the cards are shuffled

* The spectator can STOP at ANY time or go through the whole deck

* If the spectator stops without finishing the deck, the rest of the cards
are SHUFFLED

* The trick is very fast to perform since the spectators can choose to stop
whenever they get bored

* At the end, the cards in front of the red indicator are red, and the black
indicator black!!

* When the cards are revealed to be 100% correct, the COMPLETE faces of the
cards can be shown

* The probability of this EVENT is 1 out of 1,125,899,906,842,624 !!!

* The probability of a "think of a card" trick is only 1 out of 52

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2006, 2:24 pm

There is another version that IMHO is even stronger where the particpant decides if you will be reds or blacks and which one they will be. You take turns one at a time and remove a face down card from the deck. If you think it is your colour, you place it face down in a pile in front of you, if you think it is not or do not know you place it in a discard pile. When it is done, you spread the discard pile and show it well mixed and when you each turn over your piles it is seen to have only your colour in it. I just can't think of who's this version is and until i get back next week I can't check my library.

That would be very interesting, if you wouldn't mind posting whose method it is and where it's found that would be great.

As for Cosmos, definately an interesting effect, presentation and handling. I like the principle employed, though it should be noted that it doesn't work with all cards so you need to be somewhat careful about that. To me the highlight of the effect is the fact that you can stop at any time during the effect and show that the cards are in fact fully mixed, then resume and stop again at will.

For the record, the presentational concept borrows heavily from an Ed Marlo idea in the Marlo Magazine Vol. 6 (someone else probably had similar ideas but that's where I'm familiar with it from).

The kicker ending is also nice, it's hard to come up with a great kicker for Out of this World since it's such a strong effect, as I mentioned above, I really like Mr. Green's kicker from "Out of this Green World", but the Cosmos ending should you make use of it, is quite strong as well.

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 2:09 am

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
That's John Kennedy's version, originally published I believe in GENII. Lennart Green fooled me badly with it and then kindly tipped it.

It is excellent on its own but having performed it, you can have the spectator thoroughly shuffle the cards and then do the Grant version of OOTW.

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 8:46 am

Paul Curry Impromptu version is my favorite. At a dinner party, on a set, with the most beat up set of cards pulled out of a drawer.
Always clean, always works.
With the most skeptical people in the room, this kills.
Just an opinion.
Cheers!
Damon

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 9:00 am

Another vote here for the Lorayne impromptu version (published in My Favorite Card Tricks). Can be done FASDIU, it's not as "long in the tooth" as the full deck stacked versions, and you show the remaining leftover cards as being thoroughly mixed, which is a great convincer.

Of the stacked versions, the Paul Harris Galaxy effect is light years ahead of anything else I've seen.

There is a neat little Dai Vernon effect from the Inner Card Trilogy called Colour Separation. It's basically a packet version of OOTW. I have been using it to segue into impromptu OOTW. In the packet version, I add leader cards so it is more identical in appearance to OOTW.

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 10:48 am

Have not seen anyone mention Conrad Bush's 'Color Isolation' which is a three phase color separation starting out with a spectator shuffled deck. Published in 1988 and authored by Joseph K. Schmidt. It is a great routine.

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Originally posted by Quentin Reynolds:
Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
[b] There is another version that IMHO is even stronger where the particpant decides if you will be reds or blacks and which one they will be. You take turns one at a time and remove a face down card from the deck. If you think it is your colour, you place it face down in a pile in front of you, if you think it is not or do not know you place it in a discard pile. When it is done, you spread the discard pile and show it well mixed and when you each turn over your piles it is seen to have only your colour in it. I just can't think of who's this version is and until i get back next week I can't check my library.
That's John Kennedy's version, originally published I believe in GENII. Lennart Green fooled me badly with it and then kindly tipped it.

It is excellent on its own but having performed it, you can have the spectator thoroughly shuffle the cards and then do the Grant version of OOTW. [/b]
I too was fooled by this, and didn't know whose it was. It is currently the only one I use. Thanks for the credit. (By credit I mean crediting.)

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Heard lots of raves about the Kennedy version of OOTW. What issue is it in, and has it been reprinted in book in print?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » March 19th, 2006, 8:12 pm

John Kennedy's "Red and Black" can be found in the March 1989 Genii, pages 560-562.

Not sure if it's appeared anywhere since.

-Jim

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2006, 6:19 am

John Kennedy's Red and Black can also be found in the instructions for Dill/Weber's A New World.

Speaking of OOTW. Does anyone here do John Mendoza's version as found on one of his earlier tapes. I have found that doing that version along with his "Squeeze" routine is VERY strong for the layman.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » March 20th, 2006, 8:12 am

I'm surprised (but not grief-stricken) that no one has mentioned J.C. Wagner's wonderful "Prediction Out of this World," (see The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner, Maxwell, 1987), which offers the added kicker of three mistakes being made by the spectator along the way, as predicted by the magician. The effect also appears on Volume II of J.C.'s Commercial Magic DVD set. (click here for a review - http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/index. ... ay&rid=672 )
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » March 20th, 2006, 1:26 pm

With all the versions of OOTW, I am interested to know if there are any that can be done in the hands of a 'spectator' with a regular deck? I do have a particular interest in this.

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2006, 1:36 pm

do you mean, the spectator shuffles, deals the cards, and then turns the piles over?

that would be pretty good!

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » March 20th, 2006, 2:59 pm

No. I mean instead of needing a table to deal piles, you can deal cards onto their hand for the same effect.

I have a version and have asked a number of people if they know of one that can be done 'in the hands' but have yet to find one. With so many esteemed card guys here, I'm hoping to find out for sure.

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Seems like one could do 'Galaxy' in the hands easily enough.

(I'm going to have to give it a try.)

Randy

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2006, 4:13 pm

gordon bean has an in the hands version. dont know what its called though.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”