Bill Transposition Credit

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Paul Cummins

Bill Transposition Credit

Postby Paul Cummins » November 19th, 2001, 7:06 am

A few years ago a local magician showed me a wonderful $5 - $1 bill transposition. He didn't remember where he'd picked it up or read about it. I've searched but cannot find a source to credit for the method, which is this: Fold a five-dollar bill in half (so the short edges meet), and then in half again. Crease the bill well and unfold it. Cut off one quarter of the bill from one end. Similarly double-fold and crease a one-dollar bill and then unfold it. Glue the quarter piece of the five-dollar bill to one of the inner-quarters of the one-dollar bill (not to an edge-quarter). I won't describe the simple moves that accomplish the actual transposition, but I'm hoping that if I've desribed the gaffed bill well enough that someone will recognize the gaff and let me know who published the method. If I've not made the gaff clear enough, please let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive. Thanks in advance and I must say that I am continuing to enjoy the varied and intelligent discussions on this forum.

Paul

Bill McFadden

Re: Bill Transposition Credit

Postby Bill McFadden » November 19th, 2001, 8:02 am

Paul,

Sounds like the method devised by George Hample from Philadelphia. If so, he markets it as, "Be-Switched."

I'm sure George would be glad to hear from you at <GTH Magic@aol.com>.

If you need more info, please let me know.

Cheers,
Bill McFadden

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 19th, 2001, 10:20 am

Paul -- this is a slight variation of the "Slow Motion Bill Switch." I confess I can't remember the originator, but Roger Klause came out with a handling recently, David acer has a handling in (I think) his first "Natural Selections" book (and his video) and Eugene Burger has a version recently published.
The difference between what I thoink you're describing and the "Slow Motion" handling is "Slo-Mo" uses only the "5" in a circle wich is on the lower left of the old-style bills, not a full quarter of the bill. Burger's handling updates to the new design of U.S. currency. Acer's version (and some others) use wax so the gaff can be stolen off and everything is examinable.

Matt Field

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » November 19th, 2001, 10:59 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill McFadden:
[QB]Paul,

Sounds like the method devised by George Hample from Philadelphia. If so, he markets it as, "Be-Switched."

Thanks, Bill, I'll contact George.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » November 19th, 2001, 11:12 am

"Paul -- this is a slight variation of the "Slow Motion Bill Switch." I confess I can't remember the originator, but Roger Klause came out with a handling recently..."

Hi Matt,

I hope you're doing well! I'm *very* familiar with Roger's routine and method and have used it extensively in the past.

"...David acer has a handling in (I think) his first "Natural Selections" book (and his video)..."

I looked in Natural Selections and the three items therein speak to the thumbtip methodology regarding the change of one denomination of bill to another - the routine I'm doing with the gaff I described is a $5 and $1 transposition.

"... and Eugene Burger has a version recently published."

Unbelievably, I'm completely unfamiliar with Mr. Burger's entire repertoire and have never read a book of his nor seen a video. Been meaning to do so and meaning to do so but have just never gotten to it. Is the version Mr. Burger recently published a transposition or a change?

"...Burger's handling updates to the new design of U.S. currency..."

Sounds like a transposition, do you know the media in which it was released and/or a title I could look for?

"...Acer's version (and some others) use wax so the gaff can be stolen off and everything is examinable..."

I cannot find a reference to wax in Natural Selections, so perhaps the Acer bill routine you are referring to is from another book?

I'm also familiar with David Parr's version from Brain Food. Despite all that - what I'm looking for is the originator of the gaff that I described above. It may be George Hample, whom I'll contact.

Thanks Matt.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » November 19th, 2001, 12:14 pm

I might be mistaken but it sounds like an effect Michael Ammar teaches on one of his money magic videos. I think he credits it to Tom Ogden. It worth checking out, its either volume 2 or 3.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » November 19th, 2001, 1:45 pm

Paul --
It is indeed the David Parr "Brain Food" I was thinking of, not David Acer. David is, of course, that completely copycat performer, a mere buffoon, who could never come up with anything original, expecially since he's a Canadian. And being Canadian, he'd obviously never have anything to do with U.S. currency. He'd be doing tricks with "Loonies" and "Toonies" and such.
What could I have been thinking of?
And you, the Genii book reviewer in months without the letter "R" (or something) don't know Eugene Burger's books? Not even "Strange Ceremonies" with a masterful preface by Genii's video reviewer in months with a value of 1 MOD 2?
Oh, cruel cruel world of magic.

Matt Field (At the end of a long, hard day at work. Now going to see Bob Dylan at Madison Square Garden))

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » November 19th, 2001, 3:00 pm

Paul, it's hard to believe that you're completely unfamiliar with Eugene Burger's work!

Eugene's handling of the Slow-Motion Bill Change was originally pubished in "The Craft of Magic" in 1984, on page 54. It's a transposition of a borrowed five-dollar bill and the magician's one-dollar bill, using the gaff that Matt Field describes above, with the wax.

Eugene mentions that his handling is derived from Grant's "Slow-Motion Bill Transposition" in Tarbell, vol. 3.

And I seem to remember something about all of Eugene's early books being republished in one volume by some guy named Kaufman. It's probably worth a look.

Jeff

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 19th, 2001, 3:28 pm

Paul,

You're a brave man to admit you don't know Burger's work here on this forum!

"Mastering the Art of Magic" has the updated handling of Parr's transformation from Brain Food. The gaff is not unrelated to the one you describe but not the same either.

David Acer has a Canadian bill switch, but it's only 70% as good as an American bill switch.

Also, Andy Newman says hi.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2001, 4:19 pm

Paul,

From what you described, it sounds like the set up in Mike Bornstein's New Commericial Money Magic #4. The added corner piece is in the middle section of the bill, so that you are not covering any corners when it is displayed. If you need more information let me know.

Ed the Magic Guy
Ed Fultz

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » November 19th, 2001, 4:30 pm

Hi Paul,

Before you get all sidetracked, follow up on the Be-Switched angle as I'm pretty sure Bill got it right. It sure sounds like George Hample's effect.

Frank Yuen

Ps. It was on one of the Ammar tapes (Easy to Master MOney Miracles Vol. 2) with proper crediting to Hample.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » November 20th, 2001, 8:23 am

Originally posted by Jeff Haas:
Eugene mentions that his handling is derived from Grant's "Slow-Motion Bill Transposition" in Tarbell, vol. 3.

The Grant reference is what I was trying to remember. But David Acer made me forget it.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2001, 11:50 am

Matt --
Chris Capehart did a pretty $5 to $1 transpo during his lecture at Magic on Manhattan. He didn't discuss the method, just how to make money off the trick (including how to cajole the $5 lender into letting you keep the remaining $1). Did you see it, and was it one of the methods under discussion here?
--Ralph

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » November 20th, 2001, 12:07 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:

"You're a brave man to admit you don't know Burger's work here on this forum!"

On a board with intelligent posts such as are found here, I have no problem admitting to such a shortcoming!

"Also, Andy Newman says hi."

Awesome - please tell Andy I wish him the best.

Paul

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » November 20th, 2001, 12:12 pm

Thank you to everyone for your help! I've sent word to George Hample, checked out Grant's routine in Tarbell, and I'll get a look at the Ammar video. I'm thinking that the routine that I'm referring to in my original post is the Hample routine...

To Mr. Bonheim: When I worked the SEAM convention earlier this year Mr. Capehart lectured and performed and was outstanding (that crash link is something to behold!), but I don't remember him talking about a $5/$1 transpo.

Thanks again to all of you...

Paul

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » November 20th, 2001, 12:41 pm

To Ralph Bonham -- I missed the Chris Capehart lecture at Magic On Manhattan, unfortunately. I was channeling David Acer at the time.

Matt Field

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » November 20th, 2001, 5:00 pm

Paul:

I have used George Hample's bill transposition handling since George showed it to me many years ago. The Hample handling is so beautifully structured that both laymen and magicians who have seen the routine tend to be totally convinced that they saw both sides of the two bills. Another thing going for the Hample routine is that it only cost a few bucks, or at least it did when George originally put it on the market through Al Cohen's magic shop in Washington, D.C. The telephone number of Al's shop is (202) 789-2800. I have fooled magicians who know and use the superb Klause handling with the Hample routine. :)

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Harvey Rosenthal ]

David Acer

Postby David Acer » November 21st, 2001, 3:57 pm

Matt Field was indeed channeling me during the Magic on Manhattan convention. I distinctly remember sitting on the john at my home in Canada, then suddenly, I was watching Ken Krenzel doing card tricks (which, as it turns out, is an excellent diarrhetic). By the by, I never published nothin with no Slow Motion Bill Change (sorry Matt), although I do have a lovely new tool for mentalists coming out called the Nipple Writer. End transmission.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Return to “Close-Up Magic”