Strongest Versions of Classic Card Effects

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Mitch Praver

Strongest Versions of Classic Card Effects

Postby Mitch Praver » August 20th, 2001, 11:40 am

With so much CU card literature out there, it would be very helpful to hear what you all believe to be the "strongest" version/handling of these 10 classic card effects below:

1) cards across
2) cards to pocket
3) ace assembly
4) torn and restored card
5) sympathetic cards
6) spelling trick
7) card to wallet
8) rising card
9) oil and water
10)color changing deck

If any of you would like to add additional categories, that'd be interesting for this group to see, too.

Thanks very much.

Mitch

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Mitch ]

Re: Strongest Versions of Classic Card Effects

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2001, 8:29 am

Good topic, but I will only post a few since I honestly couldn't answer some of them.

My personal favorite versions of the effects you have listed...

3. Ace Assembly - McDonald's Aces. Stuart Judah published a laydown sequence in Pallbearers review that is absolutely convincing. This ace assembly could scare a person to death because of how magical it can look.

4. Torn and Restored Card - Reformation. Guy Hollingworth's version is difficult but the reward will definitely justify the time and effort needed to perfect it. I think it is a beautiful piece of magic to watch. As a matter of fact, I didn't really care for this effect until I saw Mr. Hollingworth perform it on one of the Magic Specials. I was moved by it.

7. Card To Wallet - Dream Card. Darwin Ortiz's version from At The Card Table is accurately described as devestating. This revelation could make some cry because of how powerful it is.

10. Color Changing Deck - I have 2. Greek Poker and Stranger's Gallery. Greek Poker is also from Darwin Ortiz's book At The Card Table. The color changing deck is the final kicker to the tremendously convincing and powerful ace stacking/ triumph routine. This is a demanding trick and to pull it off it must be executed with precise skill and timing and the patter must be down. If you are able to perform this effect, the spectator will always think of you when the see a deck of cards.

Stranger's Gallery is John Bannon's version of a Larry West Effect. It is a color changing effect, first with individual cards and then with the rest of the deck. I really like this trick. It looks like it is fun to perform to boot.

These are my personal favorites.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 21st, 2001, 12:17 pm

1) cards across = Las Vegas Leapers
3) ace assembly = Ace Trap
4) torn and restored card = Rip-off
10)color changing deck = Joker Poker

As you can tell, I'm a big Paul Harris fan! :)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » August 21st, 2001, 12:59 pm

Personal Faves (off the top of my head :)

1) Cards across = Las Vegas Leaper, Harris
2) Cards to pocket = F.Carlyle w/ Williamson's (51 to pocket) finish
3) Ace Assembly = Tricked Traveler (Conn, Tricks of My Trade) Non gaffed= Elmsley's 1002nd
4) Torn and restored card = Williamson's Torn and Retored Transpo.
5) Sympathetic cards = dunno, I'll pick Dingles version just for the hell of it.
6) spelling trick = Cool Spell (E.Fields)
7) card to wallet = Balducci wallet as climax to multiple selelction routine.
8) rising card = 3 way tie = Devano, Loops & Leclair
9) oil and water = Marlo's 3/6 (7) Card methods, most of which are in IBIDEM. Also: Dingles routine (Oil and Vinegar) that uses marlo 6 card stuff, then seques into Walton's Oil and Queens (my 2nd fave O&W.)
10)color changing deck = Chameleon Sandwich (Tricks of My Trade, FASDIU press www.fasdiu.com) <-subtle plug for the excellent efforts of Paul Cummins.

Regards,
Doug Conn
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » August 21st, 2001, 2:18 pm

1. Cards across--Paul Harris
2. Cards to pocket--Carlyle
3. Ace assembly--McDonald's Aces
4. Torn and Restored Card--Karrell Fox
5/ Rising Card--Eric Mason (impromtu), Scotty York (from Greater Magic) or Don Alan (Devano)
6. Card to Wallet--Simon Lovell
7. Color Changing Deck--Dingle, Color Triumphant
8. Oil and Water--Roy Walton, Oil and Queens

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2001, 4:18 am

Originally posted by Mitch:
With so much CU card literature out there, it would be very helpful to hear what you all believe to be the "strongest" version/handling of these 10 classic card effects below:

1) cards across
2) cards to pocket
3) ace assembly
5) sympathetic cards
6) spelling trick
7) card to wallet
8) rising card
9) oil and water
10)color changing deck

If any of you would like to add additional categories, that'd be interesting for this group to see, too.

Thanks very much.

Mitch

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Mitch ]

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2001, 6:35 am

Sorry with last reply
my favourite are:
1/Cards across "Howard Schwarzman " in the book profesional card magic form Cliff green.
2/cards to poket, Vernon version, but with E. G. Brown finish. but karrell Fox ending form "Another book" is very comrecial.
3/ Ace assembly: I only do Paul Harris Biollogical shufle, because I think the ace asembly efect is not entertaining, and in this version people is involved. But for more clasic aproach bertram version follows the way of thinking I want.
Dont forget Hofzinser assembly, because I think was the satarting point of vernon slow asembly.
4/Torn & restored card. Jim Krentz. Kaufman, I know you know it.
5/Sipathetic cards: a very difficult trick to convey , you have 13 climaxes.Jorge Weber version of Leipzig is very good. Is published in his the book (Dont forget to poin).
6/ Spelling: In latin languages are not popular because we NEVER spell words. But I have several in the last books of Tamariz about Mnemonic deck.
7/Card to wallet. Ron wilson method is wow.
I have my own version combinig Himber wallet with the loading a signed card
8/Rising card. I love fre robinson impromptu method for making a tougth card to rise.
9/Oil water. I dont consider it a very strong effect but Stewart JAmes method described in Dingle book is fine. If you combine with Hofziser finale of doing the efect with all the deck the routine will be terrific.
10/ Colour changing deck: Tamariz version of Paul Curry trick is described in the book "Truckycartomagia)

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2001, 10:08 am

My favorites tend to stray from the norm, but they're all 'workers'...

1) cards across
Las Vegas Leaper-Paul Harris
2) cards to pocket
51 Cards to Pocket-David Williamson
3) ace assembly
Jazz Aces-Darwin Ortiz
The Reparation-John Lovick
(easier than Reformation but very pretty)
5) sympathetic cards
Optical Prediction-Larry Jennings
6) spelling trick
The 20+ contained in the Aronson stack
7) card to wallet
Balducci Wallet-Ed Balducci
8) rising card
Kundalini Rising-Jeff McBride
9) oil and water
I avoid these like the plague!
10)color changing deck
Conscious Overload-Kenton Knepper