Help... where can I find The Mcmillan Switch

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Help... where can I find The Mcmillan Switch

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2004, 8:47 am

Any sources would be great - DVD, VHS, Book, notes... whatever. I saw it on the Shade movie and thought that it looked pretty interesting.

Thanks,
Steiner1000

Adam Brooks

Re: Help... where can I find The Mcmillan Switch

Postby Adam Brooks » June 1st, 2004, 9:29 am

I remember the switch being described in an issue of Onyx magazine... if I remember correctly, the writeup was actually for an improvement on the basic technique to increase the viewing angle on the switch.

If you can find Ken Simmons, he could say for sure which issue it was in.

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2004, 5:20 pm

You can find a description of the original move in The Gamblers' Palm Revisted. It will likely be difficult to track down a copy.

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2004, 9:18 am

Is that the trick where he had a five card poker hand fanned out, riffled with his thumb and changed it to a royal flush?

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2004, 9:44 pm

the mcmillan switch is where one has a card in palm position and in the act of turning over a card on the table, the two cards are switched... i havent found any sources explaining the technique, but at the end of "shade" when they are showing the moves just before the credits roll, they show the macmillan swithc being performed under the glass table and you can see the mechanics of the move if you watch close enough... hope that helps

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 7th, 2004, 9:28 am

Jason England is the one who does the McMillan Change in Shade. I have seen him do it in person and it's uncanny: it seems impossible that anyone could do.
It is published in a booklet called, I think, The Gambler's Palm Revisited by Dan McMillan (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). :) The description in the book is not great, and I can't imagine how Jason figured it out.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 7th, 2004, 9:42 am

I have yet to see this (shade) BUT... if you want to see an impossible switch, watch for Armando Lucero. I don't see how his can be bettered.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2004, 11:09 am

Do you know the name of the manipulation I described above? Watch the featurette titled "Tricks of the Trade" and see the reaction it gets. Thanks, I appreciate the help

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2004, 7:43 pm

as great as that move is, the reason it doesn't seem to get as great of a reaction is because it is not something that can be done with normal cards, therefore it isn't as entertaining, to me atleast

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 7th, 2004, 9:08 pm

I believe Jason England used a normal Bicycle deck when he did it for me.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 7th, 2004, 11:14 pm

Richard:

Are you saying the trick where a hand holds a spread of five cards and rubs their thumb over the indices and it changes into a royal flush is done with normal cards?

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2004, 6:27 am

hey rich, i think the one ur talking about with England is the Mcmillan switch...the move where 5 indifferent cards turn into a royal flush with nothing but a flick of the cards utilizes special cards...if you, or England, or anyone knows a way to do this move without a gimmick, that would be awsome

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 8th, 2004, 7:40 am

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
Richard:

Are you saying the trick where a hand holds a spread of five cards and rubs their thumb over the indices and it changes into a royal flush is done with normal cards?
Paul Wilson has a version that uses normal cards...plus a little something extra. The gimmick he made can be rung in and out, so you can start and end clean.

From what I understand from previous posts, though, that's not the version used in the film. That one used the gimmicked cards. This has all been covered here before.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2004, 8:15 am

The McMillian Switch is a one-hand "hand muck" where a single card is switched as it is turned face up on the table.

fredm

Postby fredm » June 9th, 2004, 1:07 pm

Technicalvariation of MacMillan switch is in Onyx #11.
Fred

fredm

Postby fredm » June 9th, 2004, 1:13 pm

Sorry didn't finish above post.Onyx #11 came out in 2000,Ken was slow putting them out those days.

Dan MacMillan lectured at the Onyx convention
Sept.1999.Jason England was there.

Fred
Fred

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2004, 2:30 pm

It also appeared in 1999 in Jason Alford's Freebie (p. 26).

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » March 30th, 2005, 8:20 am

Comming into this discuccion way late but...

I recently ran into Dan MacMillian (correct spelling) and well he seemed a little befuddled that his switch was in "Shade"... He's a very quirky secretive guy.

I will say this. The only two people (other than Dan) I have seen do this switch without it sucking are Jason and Ken.

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2005, 8:39 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I have yet to see this (shade) BUT... if you want to see an impossible switch, watch for Armando Lucero. I don't see how his can be bettered.
So you're saying we should stop praising England and start raving about Lucero? Thanks for the update.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 30th, 2005, 6:35 pm

NO... I think if you are a serious student you need to see both.

However... wouldn't it be nice if you could invent your own way?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2005, 6:58 pm

There's a DVD showing it, and some other switches, put out by Ronjo: UNREAL WORK - ENGLAND & WILSON, with Jason England doing the McMillan switch.

I haven't seen it, myself, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

If you can get away with it, the move should be almost a trick in itself, ringing in signed card for a card that's been on the table all the time.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 30th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Jason explains his handling of The McMillian Switch on his new DVD (with Paul Wilson) "The Unreal Work." The disc is being distributed by Murphy's Magic.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 10:38 pm

anyone ever see a description of the mcmillian table switch? its the deck twist/cut in the credit scene of "shade". i have seen a video of a guy do it very well on youtube, a site too check out. there is some stuff out there that isn't bad, but a lot that is...

Jason England

Postby Jason England » January 16th, 2007, 1:42 am

The guy on YouTube mislabeled the Miller Tabled Shift from Dai Vernon's Ultimate Card Secrets as the 'MacMillan Table Shift.'

Jason

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2007, 11:27 am

I am honored that Mr. England, although indirectly, responded to my question...

thanks. (is that miller as in charlie miller?)

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2007, 11:47 am

One or two years ago Fernando Keops released thru L&L a set of 3 videos. On one of them (I don't remember which one) he shows and explains an effect, "hand mucking" (I think) and that's probably what you are looking for. He is hiding a card in his hand and there's another on the table. In the act of 'checking' what card he has, he switches the two cards and it's almost impossible to see that a switch took place. You need a lot of practice to pull that one off.
Check the L&L site for the set and see what DVD it's on.

luigimar

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 1:56 pm

i have seen the macmilllan switch, one card for another, but i an speaking of another move. as the deck is cut, the top is stepped over slightly away from the body. in a motion sweeping the deck towards body, a finger from left hand hits the step and causes it to sweep(?) to the table, and right hand quickly replaces packet on top-restoring order.

that is how i would explain the move as i see it. Mr. England called it the miller table shift (on youtube.com it was mislabled as the macmillan table shift).

any coments on the move would help...

thanks, kevin

Welles

Postby Welles » June 16th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:Any sources would be great - DVD, VHS, Book, notes... whatever. I saw it on the Shade movie and thought that it looked pretty interesting.

Thanks,
Steiner1000

It's in the Mcmillen book, available only as a pdf from lybrary.com. Look under Hole Card Switch near the end of the book. This is the switch exactly as Jack used it. The description comes directly from Jack.

Welles

Postby Welles » June 16th, 2012, 5:49 pm

I am assuming this is what you are talking about. I have not seen the Shade movie and am assuming you are referring to
Jack's technique based on a description above, namely.
A single card is tabled face down. You simply reach down with one hand and turn the card over. The switch is made.

If Dan McMillan has a move of his own that does the same and this other technique is the one featured in the Shade film, then I stand corrected, although Jack's technique is very fine and might be of interest to you in any case. Jack's technique can be done standing or sitting, the turnover is very loose and uncontrived looking. Can be done surrounded. For naturalness of handling cannot be bettered. And ... like all his stuff, dead easy if properly understood. Jack liked things he didn't have to worry about.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2012, 6:16 pm

The technique in Shade is the Dan McMillan switch performed by Jason England.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » June 17th, 2012, 2:57 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The technique in Shade is the Dan McMillan switch performed by Jason England.

You can compare Mister England's variation with the original description from "The Gamblers Palm Revisited" here:

Hand Mucking

;)

dorian rhodell

Postby dorian rhodell » July 21st, 2012, 11:52 pm

So, I'm confused a little. Is the switch Jack's or Dan's? I've heard different people say different things. Maybe independent invention? I remember seeing Jack do it as a teenager.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell

Return to “Close-Up Magic”