Bicycle Seconds

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Bicycle Seconds

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2004, 9:31 am

This is a question for the cardmen amongst you.

Is there a noticeable difference between an ordinary deck of Bicycle cards, and Bicycle Seconds? I recently bought a box of Bicycle Seconds at a fairly cheap price, and I'm using these to practise with at home (I will use a deck of the real McCoy's when I perform properly).

I have, however, noticed no difference in the way they look and feel.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Bicycle Seconds

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2004, 10:13 am

Im curious what makes you believe that they are seconds. There was some discussion a couple of years ago as to whether or not the dozen-pack boxes sold in mass merchandisers such as Costco were actually seconds, thus explaining their lower retail price. To settle the question I called the U.S. Playing Card Company and spoke with a young lady in their customer relations department. She assured me that the USPC Co. does not sell seconds and that the cards in those multi-pack boxes are first quality. The exception is the advertising cards that are included with the packs: These coupon cards (offers from advertisers) are generally out of date in these boxes. Of course, that was a couple of years ago, and with the recent takeover of the USPC Co. by a company that manufactures picnic goods, who knows what may start happening.

Dustin

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 20th, 2004, 11:14 am

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
She assured me that the USPC Co. does not sell seconds and that the cards in those multi-pack boxes are first quality.
Just bought a "two pack" (one red one blue). Horribly off center.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2004, 11:22 am

USPC Co. "first quality" has been questionable for many years now. The issue is whether or not they sell what, according to whatever standard they place on their quality controls, is considered a "second." A spokesperson told me that they do not.

Dustin

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2004, 1:23 pm

Dustin, is there a company now that does make top rate all around cards? I don't know of any other than USPCs. That doesn't mean there isn't it just means I don't know...
Steve V

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2004, 2:01 pm

Given a choice, I prefer the push off seconds.

...Sorry. :rolleyes:

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2004, 2:39 pm

Steve,

There is a company (European, I believe) whose name I cannot think of right now that apparently makes very good playing cards (with a commensurate price). But I stick with bikes because that's what is most common around these here parts. Their catch-as-catch-can quality issue is something I just have to deal with, particularly (Rafael) for my personally preferred strike second. :)

Dustin

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 20th, 2004, 5:45 pm

Carta Mundi has a U.S. plant now http://www.cartamundiusa.com/ . Their ACES brand seems to be at least as good as standard bikes. They are available at the Bruno's grocery stores in the area (an online).

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2004, 8:46 pm

Card collector, card man extraordinaire and all around cool guy Jason England forwarded to me photographic evidence of the existence of Bicycle Secondsthe box says so right on it. The PR lady at USPC Co. must have been speaking only of the cards that are included in the multi-packs sold by Costco et al when she said that USPC Co. doesnt sell seconds. The interpretation that they didnt sell them at all was mine (and was clearly an incorrect one). But, the card box is clearly marked seconds.

Jason could not answer the opening query of this thread: how they handle vs. the Real McCoy. Jason has two decks of seconds in his collection and they are sealed (and Im sure he intends for them to stay that way).

Thanks Jason!

Dustin

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » April 21st, 2004, 12:13 am

A British dealer used to sell Bicycle Seconds (not sure if he still does) which were clearly marked as such on the box, with the caveat that there was always some minor defect. The ones I had seemed perfectly good to me.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2004, 3:19 am

I have a few decks of "Bicycle seconds" at home. They are indeed marked as such (with big bold letters). They're usually misaligned on the back (which makes them good as impromptu one way deck). I didn't like the feel of them, so albeit they were 25% cheaper than ordinary bicycle I didn't buy more of them. Now they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2004, 3:30 am

Bicycle Seconds most definitely exist - I have a deck on my desk now as I write.

I bought a box of around 16 packs at the Blackpool Magicians' Convention in February for 15 (just less than a pound a pack). The card case quite clearly says Seconds on the front and back, and the US Playing Card Co. address in Ohio is on there; the cards themselves are of the same quality (in terms of their look and their feel) as standard Bicycle cards.

I use them for practising, but not for performing as I feel that having a card case that announces Seconds makes me look like a cheapskate!

Dean.

sleightly

Postby sleightly » April 21st, 2004, 7:17 am

If you've got The Magic Menu--Years Six through Ten book, check out page 550 for a reproduction of an official Bicycle Seconds box I bought in Aruba...

Used in conjunction with a fake advert I wrote about dealing "seconds"...

ajp

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » April 21st, 2004, 6:10 pm

Originally posted by One_Handed_Shuffle:
Bicycle Seconds most definitely exist - I have a deck on my desk now as I write.

I bought a box of around 16 packs at the Blackpool Magicians' Convention in February for 15 (just less than a pound a pack). The card case quite clearly says Seconds on the front and back, and the US Playing Card Co. address in Ohio is on there; the cards themselves are of the same quality (in terms of their look and their feel) as standard Bicycle cards.

I use them for practising, but not for performing as I feel that having a card case that announces Seconds makes me look like a cheapskate!

Dean.
I don't think any layperson would ever know what "seconds" on a box of cards meant. Hell, I have never heard of it until this post, and I have been into magic for 10 years.

Scott

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2007, 9:29 am

where can you find seconds in america?

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2007, 10:42 am

I purchased a number of "Bicycle Seconds" decks from the outlet store at the USPCC in Cincinnati. I can see nothing wrong with the decks that I have opened - the cards faro well and look just fine. I bought them mainly because of the unique box but haven't yet figured out a way to use the deck in a routine!

If you ever find yourself near Norwood, Ohio (greater Cincinnati) you should make the pilgrimage to Haines House of Cards and to the nearby USPCC outlet. Lots and lots of stuff there. I left with a few dozen different decks. There are some pretty cool historical displays from the now defunct museum.

Tim Brown

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2007, 4:06 pm

Here you see what the box looks like:
http://www.magicalement.fr/arteco/catal ... .jpg-2.jpg

Denis

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2007, 9:28 am

Now if only Tally-Ho produced 'seconds'...........

Wouldn't the world seem a slightly cheerier place to inhabit?

Peace,

Darren

Return to “Close-Up Magic”