Advice

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Advice

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2001, 8:45 am

I have very little knowledge of mental effects and was looking for the strongest possible material for stage and close-up. Without giving away any of your valued secrets, if someone could steer me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.
Thanks

Re: Advice

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2001, 12:09 pm

The strongest possible effect in mentalism is the Question and Answer act. However, since you are asking in regards to mental magic, (close-up and stage), I will assume that you are refering to a one on one effect (where you reveal one thought), which is still a very strong effect.

I would highly suggest that you read the book "Peek Performances" by Richard Busch which will give you more than enough techniques to learn how to glean secret information from your audience member (for both close-up and on stage) to perform design duplications (a very powerful effect) or to reveal secret thoughts of that person.

Another very powerful technique is found in Ted Lesley's Paramiracles in his Disertation on the Centre Tear. His technique for revealing the thought of person's name, who they are and phone number is worth double the price of the book.

Hope that helps,
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat http://www.bigfoot.com/~thoughtreader

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2001, 1:59 pm

Peek Performances has been on my list of books to buy. I've been hesitant because of the hefty $65 price tag (why so damn expensive?) But if it's being recomended I might splurge.
Any other info on this book?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2001, 7:13 pm

Chris,
Jamy Swiss has written a review of Peek Performances that we may have run in Genii, or not had space to run yet. Frankly, I can't remember. However, the gist of it was that he didn't think it was a bad book, but felt the price was extremely high for what you got.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 16th, 2001, 7:32 pm

Chris,

The typography in this book was the worst I've seen in any book ever. Mike Close said it read like a 200+ page ransom note, and he was correct. This was my least favorite book in recent memory and I think you can find many, many superior books on mentalism. Save your money.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 16th, 2001, 8:17 pm

Frankly, I think anyone starting into mental ism or mental magic? should read Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism, followed by Al Koran's works.
Stay tooned.

Return to “General”