what is this?............

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

what is this?............

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 12:53 pm

hello,
i need some help.About 3 years ago I was at Tannens and Majik did this effect for me:
he shuffled the deck and let my girlfreind choose a card.Then he shuffled the deck again and stated that she could eliminate small packs as she went along, no double talk, the deck was cut. pick the pack,that pack was eliminated....eventually she eliminated all but one wich was of course her card!to this day im still wondering.All majik wiuld do is laugh, i even offered my "kick-set" handling(reset with a kickback ending) but to no avail....please help! where can i find this in print?

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Re: what is this?............

Postby BlueEyed Videot » August 2nd, 2004, 1:07 pm

Look it up in Tannen's catalog as: one-way force deck. :)

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 3:15 pm

thanks richard...but it was a normal deck :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2004, 4:13 pm

It is equivoque.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » August 2nd, 2004, 4:59 pm

But if we believe "the deck was cut. pick the pack,that pack was eliminated.", than that would procedurally rule out the equivoque.

Unless, of course, it was that nifty tabled card switch Wilson & Co. shot for "Shade". But Papa always told me simpler is better, so I'm still going with the one-way.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 5:09 pm

I know it might seem like equivoque, but it wasnt.It was as straight as it gets! Pick a pack and that pack is eliminated!no "ok ill take this one,or that one is yours deal going on...thats why its drove me crazy all these years!!!!

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 6:59 pm

Guy Hollingworth's The Cassandra Quandary in his Drawing Room Deceptions, as well as on one of his videos, has a force that looks exactly like what you are describing (within the context of his routine).

It uses something not in your account, but a skilled (and gutsy) magician could certainly adapt the Hollingworth method to more closely adhere to your description.

I don't have any notion as to whether it is related to Majik's method...

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 8:50 pm

Curiouser and curiouser...

Eliakim19...are you absolutely sure that this was an ordinary deck?

And when the remaining pile was cut in half, who did the cutting? How was this cut achieved? What position were the hands?

I know it's been 3 long years; but please try to remember.

The reason for the 3rd degree is because I do this exact same presentation, as described herein, with a trick deck. Exactly the same! In fact, you've perfectly described my handling for a Stripper deck.

It's straight-forward "you pick it, it goes!" until the last two cards. Then, it's 50/50 I have to use equivoque. I always push "their" card to their right side. That's where they usually go, but it's still 50/50.

How odd! Please reply :confused: :confused: :confused:

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 9:09 pm

Friday,
Im pretty sure it wasnt a specialized deck.I cant be sure though, he could have switched it in during our little session.The hands off approach really got me,it was raw magic in every sense.As far as i can remeber it was hands off,but if memory serves me, my girlfreind did all the cuts.but if the professor fooled houdini with a double sided,than who am i to think it wasnt as simple a solution as a one way?!By the way your comments on the svengali really sparked my interest,i dont like gaffed cards/decks but the svengali was my first weapon in the world of magic,and i havent used one since i was 12!see, friday u would be the guy frying me with a svengali at a convention, and id swear it was a reg, deck!!! oh dear... i love this game!!!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 2nd, 2004, 10:08 pm

David Regal's Prophecy Pack creates this effect almost exactly. If the magician can do the cutting, exactly.

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2004, 11:49 am

I'm a firm believer in that there are no old tricks...only old audiences. I love cooking up "new" dishes with "old" recipes.
After thinking about it all night, someone else could do the cutting if using a stripper, it may mess the deck, but hey...all that really matters are the last two cards. That's very interesting...thanks for sharing your experience.
I'd be curious to know why Majik was laughing at the end. What was so funny? :confused:

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 3rd, 2004, 12:10 pm

Originally posted by MRD Friday:
I'd be curious to know why Majik was laughing at the end. What was so funny? :confused:
He was always laughing. He was constantly amused by the reactions people had when they were baffled. Sounds like Eliakim was giving a pretty good reaction to this effect.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2004, 1:06 pm

oh yes majik is a killer..if he gets u he'll chuckle.It was the last effect he did for me and it was the only one i wasnt too familiar with,or maybe it was the 250.00 worth of stuff i bought!!!But he's a really nice guy and he will demo everything for u.If anyone is in nyc stop by,its history, and on a good day youll meet alot of tally ho carrying card men(for some reason east coast hard core card guys seem to prefer tally ho brand cards.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 3rd, 2004, 1:17 pm

Originally posted by Eliakim19:
hello,
i need some help.About 3 years ago I was at Tannens and Majik did this effect for me:...
And Majik won't tell you and we are supposed to guess?

Funny, I guess it's okay to tip other people's material now.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 3rd, 2004, 1:22 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Funny, I guess it's okay to tip other people's material now.
Read the whole post, Jon. Specifically this:

where can i find this in print?

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2004, 7:46 pm

Thanks Jim...
I absolutely was NOT trying to get anyone in this forum to tip the method.I practice and love magic in all forms and follow the code to a t.Every effect i have in my repitoire a magician has received my couple of cents in there royaly check. I have scoured for weeks trying to find out where a certain trick or sleight is buried,and purchased it.The magicians that create these great things deserve there due,as well as a magicians handling of an effect.If i came across like i wanted it tipped, im sorry.My actual intentions were to really just get information on effects of this nature,and what titles i can obtain to include them in this lifelong study we call magic...thats all

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 3rd, 2004, 10:51 pm

Magik has shown me this trick many times. I am not willing to discuss the method and am not sure if its a published effect. There is no magiican's choice here. The deck is not a one way force deck.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”