Packet Tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Packet Tricks

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 12:47 am

Would be interested in what people think are the top ten packet tricks. This little survey is a very minor part of a project I am working on. Thanks in advance for your time, and Happy New Year to everyone.

Paul Hallas

Re: Packet Tricks

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 3:56 am

I don't have 10, but I will name 6 effects.

Jumping Geminii - Darwin Ortiz (from "At The Card Table")

Wild Card - Peter Kane

Back Off - Darwin Ortiz (Actually I perform his "New Back Off" from his lecture notes)

Twisting the Aces - Dai Vernon (from "More Inner Secrets")

Daley's Last Trick - Dr. Daley (was taught to me, I am not sure the source)

Oil and Water - (I perform a version using 6 cards, 3 reds and 3 blacks from Darwin Ortiz's newest lecture notes. The effect is called "Ultimate Oil and Water" and I perform the packet phases)

If you mean marketed packet tricks, then I would name Wild Card and nothing else is coming to mind.

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 5:21 am

The effects can be marketed or in print, however if they are in print, please give the originator and source. In your list for instance, I am unfamiliar with Back off.

Thanks for being the first to get back to me Mark, I hope you are the first of many :)

The list doesn't have to be ten, but that is plenty and most will have worked with up to that many over a long period of time.

Best wishes,
Paul.

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 5:46 am

Sorry, I meant to do that. I will go back and edit my list.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » December 27th, 2001, 6:24 am

Final Aces

Mumbo Jumble

Hamman-esp

Million to 1

Done With Mirrors

Trost's Twister

Three Ace Monte - Jack Booth

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 7:22 am

Mark, the Daley trick is from Ganson's "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic." Though Milbourne Christopher published the effect earler with different handling in the Sept. 1946 issue of Hugard's. Christopher's effect can also be found in Tarbell Vol.5.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 27th, 2001, 11:10 am

Don't have ten but here goes:
"Gypsy Curse" (Peter Kane/marketed effect)
"Too Many Cards" (Dingle/Complete Works)
...which is based on
"Ambitious Classic" (Jennings/Classic Magic of...)

and

"The Derek Dingle (that's me) Fabulous Jumping Card Trick" (Dingle/Complete Works)
"Classic Eleven Card Trick" (Paul Harris/Magic Manuscript & The Art of Astonishment vol.1)
Both of which are versions of Edward Victor's Eleven Card Trick.

You'll notice that two tricks are repeated. This is because the presentations of the cited performers make them two different tricks.

cheers
:D

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 12:36 pm

Paul -

Thanks for the source on Daley's Last Trick. Sadly I do not have the Dai Vernon Book of Magic. That will probably be my next purchase.

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 1:14 pm

Hmmm...

B'Wave- Phil Goldstein

Hamman Eggs- Brother John

Twisting the Aces- Ackerman's handling

Jacks Gone- Golstein?

A break away jumbo card trick (can't remember the exact name)- Brother John

Spot the Spot Goldstein

Color Monte-

Ultimate 3 card monte-

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 1:49 pm

Just in case you were wondering about mine :) :)

Twisting The Aces (Vernon)
Twist In A Glass (Hallas)
Too Many Cards (Dingle)
Monster Mash (Hallas)
Jumbo Colour Fusion (Steve Tucker)
Odd Card Trick (Martin Lewis)
Universal Card (Colombini/Cervon/Hallas mix)
Especially Wild (Hallas)
Jumbo Twisted Sister (Bannon)
Oil and Queens (Walton, plus variations on this)
Not Another 3 Card Trick (Hallas)

Whoops, thats eleven.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 27th, 2001, 6:38 pm

Packets tricks, eh??? Hmmmm...

Twisting the Aces
Jumping Jacks (with ball and toy jacks finish)
BWAVE
Sidewalk Shuffle
Wild Card (variation by Lee Noble called Factory Rejects--most commercial and logical)
Mike Close "Clones" or "Clowns?" <--not learned yet but watching Mike I love it.
Six Card Repeat (sure, a big packet, right?
I like Crandall's version best)

gad, can't think of 10...

3 Card Monte

add your own :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 27th, 2001, 6:39 pm

It is only my opinion, but... (thanks to Crandall for that line)... but ...

IMHO

I think Oil and Water is the worst effect ever concieved. <GR&D> :cool:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2001, 8:12 pm

Pete, let me know if you'ld like, I have a very commercial...yes, commercial handling for oil and water. A friend of mine came up with it after reading a Karl Fulves effect in, I think, Chronicle.
I've been using it for lay people for years, and it gets a great response!
Instead of using face cards mixing, I use all Jokers, blue backs won't mix with red backs, and there's a great kicker ending that makes the trick.
Rick

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 27th, 2001, 10:21 pm

I think Oil and Water is the worst effect ever concieved.

Nah! It's one of the best EFFECTS. The problem is that it's one of the WORST SCRIPTS EVER...

The effect is very magical. Like a delicate version of "Triumph" or "Call To The Colors". But there's no emotional hook in "Oil and Water".

:D

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2001, 2:11 am

Can I quote you on that Pete? :) :)

Kosky had a good idea re an oil and water effect, he used Kings and twos and talked about the different classes not mixing socially. It can be found in The Magic of Gerald Kosky. More scope for entertaining lines.

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2002, 7:23 pm

Hello,

I don't know if I have ten favorites, but these are some of my favorites:

Wild Card
Twisted Sisters
NFW
Daryl's Presto Printo

Thats all the marketed packet tricks I can think of that I really like.

Well Thanks,

Corey magictrickss@netscape.net

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2002, 9:52 am

Poor Man's Monte(Lorayne?)
Twisted Sisters
Twisting the Aces(Vernon)

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2002, 10:19 am

I don't do too many packet effects anymore, but these are some I've come to use over the years:
Marked Cards (John Cornelius): I even do a Jumbo version of this for stage
Gypsy's Curse
Magician's Poker (Martin Lewis)
Not exactly 10, but like I said, I don't really do too many packet tricks any more.
Rick

Matt Sedlak

Postby Matt Sedlak » January 26th, 2002, 5:47 pm

My favorite packet effects recently have been variations of Jazz Aces. My favorite of these is Jazzy Transposition by Jim Sisti. However, while it is more visual it has some flaws that I'm trying to work out. But regardless, Jazz Aces is a favorite of mine.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » January 27th, 2002, 10:12 pm

No one has mentioned one of my favorites, "Sympathetic Cards" by Magic Ronnay.

It's still available (manufactured in Hoyle cards by Hampton Ridge.) Read about it at
http://www.hamptonridge.com/product_pag ... cards.html

Magic Methods (Jerry Mentzer) made a special set but they're hard to handle due to how they're manufactured.

There's a young lady doing a demo on the Internet that's so poorly done that you would never understand why people like the routine. No names mentioned so as to not embarrass her.

Steve H

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Steve Hook ]

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 29th, 2002, 10:23 am

As for Oil and Water....I understand the criticisms completely, and for that reason have never performed the effect....BUT how come when Rene Lavand performs the effect on Tv it gets a better response than most other TV magic?

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2002, 11:05 am

I think he get the best reactions because he does the effect the way it's suppose to be performed... without effort.

It can't be done any slower...

If I could do a mex turnover like that, i'd work on the street and eat like a king!

My 2 cents...

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » January 29th, 2002, 4:02 pm

There's a young lady doing a demo on the Internet that's so poorly done that you would never understand why people like the routine.

Steve,

Where can I find that video?

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » February 21st, 2002, 4:55 am

The favourite packet tricks I have performed are:

Kenner's 3 Card Monte
NFW
Club Sandwich
Henry Evan's 3 Card Monte 2000
Double Back

Double Back is a new item and, okay, it's mine.

If you like Dr Daley's Last Trick then you will like this. Everyone who has seen it has said it is the best version they have seen.

Please check out the video performance of it at www.murphysmagicsupplies.com to see how strong it is.

Jon

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2002, 6:10 am

If Club Sandwich is the Andrew Normansell effect put out by Mark Mason you might care to check out my thoughts on it posted on themagiccafe. These I passed on to Andrew who supplied them with the trick but when he sold the trick rights to Mark Mason he didn't include my handlings and thoughts. It was a quickly done deal and he didn't want to include my stuff without asking. As it happens I'd already given it him so wouldn't have minded.A few people have e-mailed me privately to say they prefer the ideas. It may be under "The good, the bad and the garbage" heading.

If you're at Blackpool, show me Double Back. My own version of the red/black ace transposition appeared in the TOTAT manuscript. ;)

By the way, have you combined the two monte effects or do you perform them on seperate occassions?

Note to Bob Farmer, I like Mutanz Bob and now stock it in the U.K. I'll like it even better if it sells well at Blackpool this weekend.I have started using it myself.

Best wishes,
Paul Hallas www.PH-Marketing-magic.co.uk

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 21st, 2002, 8:23 am

I love threads like this! Always happy to add my 2 cents (and sometiemes, have it given back!)

First off, I have to take issue on the o&W debate. I have seen versions that would make me agree with Pete. I've also seen versions of triumph, twisting the aces, and the cups and balls that would make the Professor embarrassed to be a magician. I perform Mike Skinner's Oil and Water rides again on a regular basis and people love it. Part of the reason is there is a great kicker, (all the cards turn red at the end.) I really suggest this version for anyone who has never tried the trick. Of course, if you have the chops, (most don't, myself included) you can't get any better than Rene's. IMHO there are a dozen or so effects that in the right hands, look like REAL MAGIC, and that is one of them. And isn't that what we strive for?

Ok, if you're still with me, here's my list.
In no particular order.

Oil and Water rides again-Mike Skinner
Reset-Paul Harris
Your Signed Card-Bro. John Hamman
Wild Card-Garcia
Los Centaros(a wild card love story)- Juan Tamariz
Twisting the Aces-Dai Vernon
Dr. Daley's Last Trick-Dr. Jacob Daley
Card Warp-Roy Walton
Waving the Kings(ace kicker)Guy Hollingworth
Jazz Aces-Peter Kane
Gambler VS. Magician-Dr. Daley?

Wow! That's 11. Do i get bonus points Paul?
Pepka

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 21st, 2002, 8:28 am

Just realized that Paul and i tied at 11. So I have to add B'wave/Twisted Sisters. Goldstein/Bannon.
OK I'm done now
Pepka

cataquet

Postby cataquet » February 21st, 2002, 10:34 am

Enough people have mentioned it, so let me set the record straight. "Wild Card" is NOT a Frank Garcia effect. The effect was created by Peter Kane. It was marketted as "Gypsy Curse" by Emerson and West, but now Peter markets it as the "Hungarian Guessing Game".

Bye for now

Harold

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 21st, 2002, 10:49 am

Harold,
I agree. The basic reason I attributed it to Garcia was that is who is most associated with it.
Pepka

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2002, 11:08 am

To put you both right :) :)
Peter's Wild Card was sold as Wild Card through Supreme magic who were the only dealers authorised to sell it. Gypsey Curse was a later version of Peter's with a great display finish where apparently both sides of all cards are seen. Now, as Harold says, marketed as The Hungarian Guessing Game seeing as Peter was not paid for Gypsey Curse!

Thanks for your list Pepka. Not come across Skinner's routine (though Walt Maddison's "The Sting" could easily end that way)nor the packet trick Gambler vs Magician. Where might I look for those? It is only more associated with Garcia in the USA because of the book he wrote on Wild Card. The actual Garcia "handling" is currently marketed with permission of the late F. Gancia by Martini Magic in PA.

I would be interested in looking at the Wild Card handling Marlo had, anyone know where that could be found or a rundown of what the Marlo marketed packet effects were?

Best wishes,
Paul.

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2002, 11:34 am

If I am not mistaken, Skinners routine is in his book Classic Sampler.

Burt

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 21st, 2002, 11:43 am

Paul,

Some of Ed Marlo's work on the Wild Card plot can be found in "Marlo's Unforgetable Wild Card" and "Marlo's Plus Package".

Unfortunately I don't own either manuscript and I'd say that locating copies will prove difficult. Both items were reviewed in seperate issues of "Epoptica".

Contact me if you'd like copies of the reviews.

Regards,

John

Return to “Close-Up Magic”