Most collectable books and mags

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Most collectable books and mags

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 3:40 pm

In everyones opinion, what are the most sought after, rare and OOP magic books, magazines, periodicals etc.?

Jeff Pierce

Re: Most collectable books and mags

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Jeff,

That's a really wide-open question, especially if one takes into account that opinions differ as to the meaning of rare (some chaps equate "rare" with anything desirable; others base their judgment of rarity on how many specimens of a particular item are known to exist).

It might be helpful and generate more meaningful responses if you clarify why you are asking.

Clay

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Clay,
I think rare,OOP, sought after pretty much describes it. For instance a first edition of At the Card Table is very rare, definately OOP and highly sought after. Another might be a complete set of The Sphinx are all of the above and commanding huge prices.

How about, what is the one book you would like to have in your collection that you can't find?

Jeff Pierce

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Jeff,

I like your question. For me, it's a very close call, but would be one of the 4 specially printied copies of Clarke's The Annals of Conjuring.

Some might dispute your claim that a file of The Sphinx and the 1st edition of Erdnase are very rare (for example, at least 80 copies are known to exist of Ernase's work), and that goes to the heart of the idea that different folks have different ideas of exactly what constitutes a rare book.

Check out this GF link for a discussion of rarity:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 648#000000

Clay

Return to “General”