Lassen vs. Johnson Coin Gaffs

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Lassen vs. Johnson Coin Gaffs

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2006, 9:17 am

In have been interested in coin slights for a long time and have worked very hard to learn the basic slights. I started in magic many years ago and have many of the wonderful gaffs from Johnson Products, but have recently seen the Lassen gaffs on ebay and from his web site. I have not seen the Lassen gaffs up close. I would like to hear some opinions on the Lassen gaffs vs. the Johnson gaffs. Considering the investment I have already made and the expense of changing some of my long trusted tools I wanted to hear from the experts. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thanks, Joe

Re: Lassen vs. Johnson Coin Gaffs

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2006, 9:22 am

Originally posted by joemagic1:
...Lassen gaffs vs. the Johnson gaffs....
Are you considering tooling up to use OLD half dollars and silver dollars? If using CURRENCY, Johnson gaffs work.

Are you looking to tool up using the sliding and nesting gaffs? Last I heard Johnson does not make nesting sets or sliding shells.

It's pretty much a matter of driving a Ford versus a Mercedes Benz. If you are driving enough or in places where such things make a difference, enjoy.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 25th, 2006, 9:53 am

I always found Johnson heads shells less than convincing because the depth of the relief work seemed too shallow. The tails gaffs looked much better to me. I also had some problems with the look of the Johnson Flipper coin I bought.

The coins I bought from Todd Lassen were magnificent.

This was six or seven years ago, so I can't speak for today, or for Jamie Schoolcraft's work either. For me, I was more than happy to have spent the money for the Lassen gaffs.

Matt Field

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 25th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Johnson is excellent at mass producing coins viai cnc machines... Lassen and Schoolcraft are artists making wonderful, elegant coins.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2006, 4:49 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Johnson is excellent at mass producing coins viai cnc machines... Lassen and Schoolcraft are artists making wonderful, elegant coins.
Exactly, Johnson coins are fine, but if you want more elegant coins, at a much higher price, you need to go with the custom made sets by those mentioned above.

Todd Lassen

Postby Todd Lassen » August 28th, 2006, 7:46 pm

For the record, I disagree with Pete Biro. And I pray to God that people can notice the difference, otherwise I am wasting alot of my time.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 28th, 2006, 8:11 pm

My mom, even with macular degeneration, could spot a Johnson shell in play. I don't think anyone can spot a Lassen shell. Todd' s coins are well worth the money, indeed underpriced. (Edited to please Disparity1, who correctly criticized my initial wording.)

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Johnson shells have macular degeneration?

:confused:

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Originally posted by Todd Lassen:
For the record, I disagree with Pete Biro...
Which part?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 28th, 2006, 9:18 pm

The part I mention Schoolcraft? :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2006, 9:35 am

I did a simple routine on my wife a few minutes after my Lassen Liberty Half set arrived in the mail a few weeks ago.

"Not bad," she says, "but can I see the coins?"

"You bet," and I hand them to her.

Todd's shell fits so perfectly, she was sure she was only holding four coins.

"Gee, how'd you do that one then?" she asks.

I like the Lassen craftsmanship so much I put a check in the mail for a second order just the other day.

If you like beautiful craftsmanship, you'll appreciate Todd's work.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2006, 11:52 am

Thanks for all your input. It has been fun reading your responses. I guess my kids don't need to go to college anyway so I can buy some new toys. Considering I'm more of a hobbiest than anyting I guess I will have to put these on my Christmas list, I have enough trouble explaining to my wife why I spend so much money on magic books. This might just put her over the edge!! :eek:
Thanks Again, Joe
PS> Keep the responses coming, I can use the amunition.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 11:18 am

One other little bump for Mr. Lassen. He can make you sets of coins with different KINDS of coins that you don't see around... He make me an African Dime shell with a matching set of four African Dimes (50 Cent sized copper coins with holes in the middle). And the shell is IDENTICAL to the other coins. Lassen all the way!

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Joe, to add my 2 cents, or 1 African cent and maybe a peruvian brass coin ;) - Over the years I have owned many Johnson coins, and they are all quite good, well made. I eventually "treated" myself to one of Todd's Copper-Silver-Brass sets, and it's just gorgeous! The way the gaffs fit and the tooling is just PERFECT. He obviously puts a lot of thought AND work into his products.

As Jonathon put it, like a Mercedes vs. a Ford.

The next thing I want to get from Todd is one of the sets of 4 coins and MATCHING shell - Many great magicians have been delighted with these.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2006, 8:56 pm

I want to chime in and say that I have coins from all three and I am very happy with the quality of all of them.

Yes, the Lassen and Schoolcraft shells are superior, but we were all fooling a lot of people with the Johnson gaffs for a long time before the high-class stuff became available.

Todd and Jamie are both real artists and engineers. Any nonsense about or between either of them is just folks with too much time on their hands. Both do great work and you can't go wrong choosing either.

If feel the need to use the Forum to get political or pissy, keep it to yourself or keep it at your local magic meeting.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » October 28th, 2006, 10:13 am

A few years ago, I asked Todd to make up a set of Sacagawea/Anthony coins...First onesa ever made. Absolutely beautiful! I have gold/silver heads, tails, heads and tails shells...quite a collection. I gave a set to Reed Mclintock for his private use. The next thing you know everybody and his brother were pumping them out and they looked terrible.

GO

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Hi Gang,
For My Money Todd Stuff Has all ways Been
By far The BEST! And I have been doing Gaff/slight Comb. Stuff For the last 35-40 years!!! :D

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
www.coinjurer.com

Return to “Close-Up Magic”