Lost my Bang Ring...

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Adam Brooks

Lost my Bang Ring...

Postby Adam Brooks » February 14th, 2002, 4:30 pm

Anyone know of any reliable ways to unnest a Scotch and Soda gimmick without the bang ring?
Otherwise, my set will live out the rest of its life as a half dollar that doesn't ring when it is flipped.

Much thanks,

Adam

P.S. Happy Singles' Awareness Day! :)

Re: Lost my Bang Ring...

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2002, 4:35 pm

You can buy a Bang Ring for $4.00. Goto an online magic site like www.magicsmith.com and type "Bang Ring" in the search engine. It will come up.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 14th, 2002, 4:56 pm

Doesn't the old "shake it in a glass" trick work with a Scotch and Soda? Back in the day, that was the only way to unnest a dime and penny set.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2002, 6:18 pm

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
Doesn't the old "shake it in a glass" trick work with a Scotch and Soda? Back in the day, that was the only way to unnest a dime and penny set.

Yea you could, but you have to admit, a cheap bang ring is much more practical.

Matt Sedlak

Postby Matt Sedlak » February 15th, 2002, 9:20 am

One time during some experimentation I decided to see if an english penny would work in an expanded half shell. Any of you who have tried know what happens. You get a nice little copper/silver coin. Now cop/sil coins are much cheaper then expanded halves so I decided the tradeoff was not the best. I tried for about 10 minutes to get it out with no success. Then I stared slamming it against walls and tables and all that good stuff and it came out. I imagine the same would work with a scotch and soda set. If you need to reset in a restaurant situation throw a temper tantrum about not getting a good enough tip and while you are doing so slam the gimmick on the floor. This way no body is paying attention to the gimmick, you get to reset without having to lose any performing time, and you get a bigger tip. Of course, you could always just buy a bang ring.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2002, 1:59 pm

I once got an english penny in a shell and couldn't get it out. One of the okito boxes I own is a johnson one that is the exact size of a half dollar, I put the shell open side down right over the open part of the box, I then used the box like a bang ring, this works well.

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2002, 2:48 pm

The same $4.00 Johnson's bang ring does the Scotch and Soda shell on one side, but if you flip the bang ring over, it is larger for banging something out of an expanded shell.

I did get a coin stuck inside a dollar sized shell (which I don't have a bang ring for). I was able to pull it loose by adhering a very sticky tape to the coin, and yanking it out of the shell.

Terry

Postby Terry » February 16th, 2002, 5:03 am

On the Stevens Magic video of Don Alan, Mr Alan talks about using prepping the scotch & soda. He nested and seperated the "coins" until the point where the coing would just stay inside the shell. A simple shake and the coin would fall out. Considering the amount of public work he did, may be an idea?

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2002, 7:53 am

It is also possible to loosen the shell to the point where the insert comes out pretty easy.

Some routines out there call for an non-locking Scotch and Soda set, where the shell does not even lock onto the insert.

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2002, 3:32 pm

Shaking the coin in a glass works well...but you want to use a plastic glass as the coin will eventually bend in a real glass.

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Tony Chapparo ]

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 19th, 2002, 7:13 pm

Or, you could just learn how to Bobo switch a quarter for a centavo, and never have to rely upon the lowly gimmicked coin again. Sooner or later you realize, You are the magic!

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 19th, 2002, 7:18 pm

Or, you could just learn how to Bobo switch a quarter for a centavo, and never have to rely upon the lowly gimmicked coin again. Sooner or later you realize, You are the magic!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”