In the Hands False Shuffles

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
cataquet

In the Hands False Shuffles

Postby cataquet » March 5th, 2002, 12:49 pm

OK, I'm thinking of buying the Heinstein Shuffle tape. But, is it really that much beyond what you'd find in say Card College Vol 1??

I perform a great (but incredibly unconvincing) in the hands false shuffle. I just cut the deck and then riffle the cards in my left hand followed by a riffle of the cards in my right hand. The sound is perfect for two packets being shuffled together, but the order is unchanged. Normally, I am talking over this, and no one is burning my hands, so it serves my purposes. But, the sound is a perfect deceiver.

So, what are your favorite in hands false shuffles?

Bye for now

Harold

Pepka

Re: In the Hands False Shuffles

Postby Pepka » March 5th, 2002, 1:07 pm

Lennart Green has several that can be done in the hands. Some of them look a bit odd, but they all look like the cards are being thoroughly mixed. These can be found on his first video.
Pepka

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2002, 1:18 pm

Harold,

If you search through the Genii forum, there was a whole topic on the Heinstein Shuffle under the category of Magicana. (Karl Hein posts some commentary as well). The general consensus I believe was that Karl's shuffle was indeed very deceptive. You may want to check out the previous thread in Magicana and see what was said last year.

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2002, 6:05 pm

Try Eric Anderson's "Shufflesque" in Ah-Ha. Excellent in the hands false riffle shuffle. My favorite over hand false shuffle is Steve Beams from his Semi-Automatic Card Tricks (I think Vol. 3).
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

Ed Oschmann

Postby Ed Oschmann » March 5th, 2002, 7:49 pm

Harold,
Having seen Karl do this many times for me, all I can say is that there is no substitute. Performed correctly, you can burn the hands and nothing suspicious can be detected.
It preseverves the full deck stack. If you do memorized deck work or full deck story routines this is invaluable.
I've almost have it mastered. It only took me six months.
Ed

P.S. Lennart Green even said that it's the best shuffle of its type that he's seen.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 5th, 2002, 9:31 pm

Dan Garrett's "Underhanded Overhand Shuffle" is the best overhand-style in-the-hands full-deck false shuffle I know of. It's in the "Garrett in the U.S.A" pamphlet. I've never seen another magician who did it or had even heard of it.

It's a full deck overhand shuffle, so it replaces every overhand shuffle control -- the jog shuffle for the top card, the milk thing for the top card, Harry Lorayne's Status Quo shuffle for the top card, you name it.

It is not difficult to learn or perform, and looks completely natural. Best of all you can easily vary the number of "chops" from shuffle to shuffle, making it much more deceptive.

It's also very easy to adapt it for use as a control -- just start shuffling, then ask the spectator to put their card back in the deck, then shuffle off. Voila, the deck is back in order and the selection is on top (or second from top, or third, etc.)

How this great move has gone overlooked is completely beyond me.

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » March 5th, 2002, 11:56 pm

I've been using the Underhanded Overhand Shuffle for years, and can attest to it's deceptivness.

Very good indeed!!!

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » March 6th, 2002, 12:08 am

Pete, it's overlooked because it's in Dan's lecture notes. You really need to see Dan perform it to understand how good it is. Otherwise it's one of those things that just doesn't seem convincing in print.

Jeff

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 6th, 2002, 12:46 pm

Note that Garrett's shuffle is a subset of the false shuffle in the first few chapters of "5x5 from Scotland" by Peter Duffie (sorry, I forget the magician and name of the shuffle). (Garrett does the "special thing" once, the one in the book does it a couple or three times). In both cases, there is an overhand shuffle that disorganizes the deck, and a followup one that puts it back into order.

Jim Krenz has a overhand false shuffle that uses the misdirection of dropping a card to essentially shuffle without shuffling -- in his notes, I think.

The last chapter of Ortiz's "Annotated Erdnase" has a killer false overhand shuffle; I forget the inventor.

Jerry Andrus teaches his "Satan's Shuffle" on his latest videos; it's also in one of his books from decades ago (I think recently reprinted). Karl Hein's shuffle clearly is a descendant of this move.

Lennart Green teaches a couple false shuffles on his privately produced "Green Magic vol 1" video, part of which was re-released in the first volume of his recent set of tapes from A-1. Also, he uses a false shuffle as part of his FISM act (on the same A-1 tape) which is _not_ taught as part of the instructional part of the tape (which really irritated me, I saw him do it at a lecture once, but was sitting far enough back in the room that I couldn't see the "work", and one reason I bought the A-1 tapes was to figure this one out).

Danny Archer teaches one in his lecture. There are _many_ in-the-hands false shuffles out there.

Bill Mullins

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 6th, 2002, 1:42 pm

Having seen Steve Beam and Joel Givens use Beam's overhand-style "Underhand Shuffle", I gotta say that it would definitely fool the spectator. What I like is its versatility to accomplish a variety of placements.

I'm still not sure which SEMI-AUTOMATIC book he published some of the work on this in but this is Beam's ad for the seperate booklet from http://www.mindspring.com/~sbeam/home.html :

"The Underhand Shuffle – (NEW!)

Written and illustrated by Steve Beam

Softbound – 24 pages

This is the ultimate full-deck false overhand shuffle. It is disarmingly convincing and amazingly versatile. In addition to the basic full-deck shuffle, specific use shuffles are described for replacing the double undercut, as well as retaining the center, top, and bottom stocks. You will also find included the best red/black retention shuffle available for those using Out of This World variations.

Finally, the centerpiece of the manuscript is a spectator-fooling, magician drooling multiple location which rivals Multiple Impact for full contact audience devastation.

Each of three to five spectators cuts to his own selection, then fully shuffles the cards before returning the pack to the magician. In a sure-fire comedic killer, the magician nails all of them. Suitable for platform or close-up…………………..$15.

(Note: Some of the ideas in this manuscript have been published in the Semi-Automatic Card Trick series.)"

Joel was also working on the Heinstein Shuffle. It's difficult but it sure looks like a real shuffle and cascade. Definitely worth the effort.

And by the way, Harold, there was a long discussion here of Karl's shuffle in Magicana starting 7/30/01, including tips from Karl himself. Try: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 3&t=000003

Steve H

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2002, 10:08 pm

Originally posted by bill mullins:

The last chapter of Ortiz's "Annotated Erdnase" has a killer false overhand shuffle; I forget the inventor.

That shuffle was by Bob King. I asked Bob during a lecture about the shuffle and he said that Darwin didn't get the description completely right. I can't recall at all what the differences where.

Best regards,
Rich

Postby Guest » March 7th, 2002, 4:00 am

Darwin released a tape featuring various cheating methods in cards. He performs a false overhand shuffle on the tape that is the most deceptive I have seen. I believe he also performs Bob King's shuffle on this tape.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » March 7th, 2002, 4:45 am

I just rembered another one Harold. Check out The Oh-Calcutta shuffle, by John Cornelius. It's in an '82 issue of apocalypse, and also on an A-1 all stars tape. It's very easy, and done casually, it really resemebles a hindu shuffle.
Pepka

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 8th, 2002, 9:52 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
[QB]Dan Garrett's "Underhanded Overhand Shuffle" is the best overhand-style in-the-hands full-deck false shuffle I know of. It's in the "Garrett in the U.S.A" pamphlet. I've never seen another magician who did it or had even heard of it.

I agree. I mentioned Dan's shuffle in one of my Flim-Flam columns. It's a great shuffle because, not only does it look just about perfect, but you don't have to think when doing it. In a very short time, it becomes a muscle memory and you don't need to pay any attention when using it.

Actually, I never shuffle a deck -- I ALWAYS use either Dan's shuffle, or a Shank or Zarrow table shuffle. This way, all my shuffles look the same as regular shuffles because I never use regular shuffles.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » March 8th, 2002, 10:11 am

Garrett's False Overhand Shuffle is not only easy, but the nice features are that he has eliminated the use of cozy injogs and the final block of cards is tossed on TOP, not to the bottom as in the Hunter-Lane Shuffle. The Hunter-Lane, if you use a couple of Pick Ups rather than clumsy Injogs, the three runs of 5-8-3 look good, even though the leftover block is thrown UNDERNEATH. Try it.

There is a brief description in EXPERT CARD CONJURING (1968), pp. 92-93. It is in the second Marlo section.

I also agree with Farmer that in-the-hands shuffling should look commonmplace and convincing. Nothing fancy.

Karl's in-the-hands RIFFLE Shuffle of course is great. BTW, I posted a short history of these type of In-the-Hands Riffle Shuffles in the PROVENANCE section of my Website.
http://www.JonRacherbaumer.com

Check it out if that sort of thing interests you.

Onward...

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » March 8th, 2002, 11:43 am

I Learned Dan Garret's shuffle from Bob Farmer's "Flim Flam" column and I've used it almost exclusivly ever since. It really is great.

Jon:
Can you give a reference for the Hunter/Lane shuffle? When I do GW Hunter's false overhand shuffle the final packet is tossed on top. Maybe this is one I don't know about yet, where can I find it? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I undercut, then shuffle and injog.

Ryan :confused:
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » March 8th, 2002, 1:53 pm

Ryan:

I cited a source. Reread and then check out EXPERT CARD CONJURING.
Lemme know...

Onward...

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2005, 1:08 pm

I have been learning the "World's Greatest Overhand False Shuffle" as well from Bob Farmer's Flim-FlaMagic article. However, he describes it as a hybrid of different shuffles, not just the Dan Garrett shffle. Thanks to Bob Farmer for sharing such a terrific piece of card control.

Flimnar

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » February 12th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Guy Hollingworth also has an in-the-hands false riffle shuffle in his book. Michael Close, on his Closely Guarded Secrets CD has an adaptation of it for use with the faro shuffle. Very nice.

Stefan Nilsson

Postby Stefan Nilsson » February 12th, 2005, 2:53 pm

Erdnase, blind shuffles retaining entire order, fourth method. Tamariz gives additional handling tips on page 342 in Mnemonica.

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2005, 4:48 pm

>The last chapter of Ortiz's "Annotated Erdnase"
>has a killer false overhand shuffle;
>I forget the inventor.

It's Bob King...
and you're right... his version of the Erdnase overhand blind is KILLER.

With all due respect to the aforementioned magi... I think King's shuffle is the best (overhand style blind.)

Doug Koffel

Postby Doug Koffel » February 12th, 2005, 7:51 pm

I remembered there being an in the hands false shuffle toward the end of Gary Ouellet's "Close Up Illusions" companion video. I looked it up and it was attributed to Jean Pierre Garnier. Can anyone supply any background or history of this particular version?

Best,
Doug

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » February 12th, 2005, 10:42 pm

I always assumed that it was an in-the-hands version of a Zarrow. But since the explanation's in French, I could be mistaken.

Doug Koffel

Postby Doug Koffel » February 13th, 2005, 5:14 am

Thanks Jeff. I had never really studied it at any length. This thread reminded me of its existence and I had never heard anyone talk about it much.

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2005, 5:32 am

Hank Miller has an awesome in the hands false riffle shuffle (with waterfall). He's been lurking here lately. Perhaps you guys can entice him to tell you more.

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2005, 7:26 pm

The one I use is Vernon's version of the Henry Hay false riffle shuffle.

It's in Vernon Chronicles. I couldn't quite get the knack of the Heinstein Shuffle, which works on the lines of the Zarrow; this is a strip-out variation--Riffle, waterfall, "Square up," point to a cow, and cut.

[On the Hay False Dovetail Shuffle, Vernon Chronicles (1989) Vol. 3, p. 44;]

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 13th, 2005, 10:28 pm

I've gotten a lot of use out of Bob King's version of the Erdnase Overhand Blind (as prev. mentioned) and Eddie Tullock's false riffle shuffle (which I learned from his L$L tape but which I presume is also in his book)

best,

N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2005, 5:28 am

Tulluck's version is in fact described in his book. It's also in ECT.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2005, 9:01 am

I have used the Underhanded Shuffle for a very long time and highly recommend it. The other one I suggest (it is a riffle false shuffle) and use a lot may be seen on Osterlind's video series and he, as I have always pointed out, explains that it came from Tarbell. (If someone were to take Tarbell and learn every lesson and not move forward until they had it learned they would be one of the most well rounded magicians anywhere and would never need to read another thing and could still be a brilliant professional).

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2005, 9:04 am

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
(If someone were to take Tarbell and learn every lesson and not move forward until they had it learned they would be one of the most well rounded magicians anywhere and would never need to read another thing and could still be a brilliant professional).

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide
Paul,

Well said. I couldn't agree more!

Richard

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 9:07 pm

Where is the best place to learn Dan Garrett's shuffle? Also, what issue of Genii contains Bob Farmer's explanation of a good false in-the-hands shuffle?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 19th, 2005, 11:58 pm

Since this topic has been pinged I might add that I recently learned a new false shuffle which is the only one that can compete with Dan's. It's called the Kennedy-Mead shuffle and you can learn it in Mike Close's ebook Closely Guarded Secrets.

Dan's is still more versatile -- with wonderful applications as a control -- but as a pure false shuffle the Kennedy-Mead is really quite perfect.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 20th, 2005, 2:21 am

Gary,

I think Farmer's false shuffle is in Genii, Vol 67, N12, Dec 2004, p. 22.

The Genii Open Index Project is not complete but you can find a lot of informations.

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2005, 12:46 pm

Originally posted by osterlind:
Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
[b] (If someone were to take Tarbell and learn every lesson and not move forward until they had it learned they would be one of the most well rounded magicians anywhere and would never need to read another thing and could still be a brilliant professional).
Paul,

Well said. I couldn't agree more!

Richard [/b]
The real irony Richard is that few will ever bother to follow that advice. Sad but true.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Where mentalists shop for unique material

Return to “Close-Up Magic”