Out of this World

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Out of this World

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2005, 11:31 am

Hi everybody.

I'm a little stuck with Paul Curry's marvellous trick. I am looking for a cleaner end - you know, when you have to exchange half of each heap?
Lennart Green does this in a very weird way, in that he compares the two heaps.
I've tried some other methods for a while know, but I can't seem to come up with - or find something - better.

Is there anybody that could help me out?

By the way, I'm brand new here...so hi everyone! I'll appreciate every effort to help me out!

Pete Biro

Re: Out of this World

Postby Pete Biro » January 19th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Dean Dill and Michael Weber are about to release "A New World" -- it is incredible how they have, with 20 years development, come up with a whole new way to do it... no packet switching, spectator can shuffle the cards, etc.

I would guess about two weeks, and it will be at www.deandill.com
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2005, 12:45 pm

Always allow the spectator to shuffle before starting and again at the 2nd half of the deck, it has no affect, but it adds a lot of integrity to the effect. During the first half show them a number of mistakes that you've made so that you can "magically correct" these errors with a pass of your wand before revealing that you've 'corrected' all errors and all cards are in proper order.

This is a mind blower and not as long as many effects that I see today; however, the one drawback it the monotonous dealing of the cards, perhaps half a deck would work better. Any ideas/comments on this point?

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2005, 5:57 pm

Well I go one step further and have the spectator deal out the ok pile one at a time - tension is enormous - everyone is sure that the next card is sure to be wrong. Then after all this dealing no one thinks twice as I flip over the other pile, toss out the marker cards stating "And of course here all the reds and blacks are together as well."

btw I save the "wrong card" effect for about 3/4 way through - just when the dealer is starting to think "what a waste of time".

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2005, 7:29 am

Always allow the spectator to shuffle before starting and again at the 2nd half of the deck,
I use an interesting M.O. that allows a few speks to to shuffle the pack (several times) before the dealing begins

Here's the scoop:

Set the pack (from top to bottom) 1/4 red, 1/4 black, 1/4 red, 1/4 black...

Divide the deck at mid point & riffle shuffle... The pack ends up top 1/2 red... bottom 1/2 black, with a few cards mixed in the middle. (For more info on this strategem, check your copy of Carneycopia... take a look @ "Oil over Troubled Waters")

Then....

Hand the top 1/3 to a spek for shuffling (all red)

&

Hand the middle 1/3 to another spek (this packet will be a mixture of r/b)

The lower portion (all black) goes to a 3rd spek

& Everyone mixes their packets...

I then perform Grant's 'impromptu' versino of OOTW with the 1/3 (r/b) mixed packet...
and then...
well...

I'm not gonna give it all away :D

The routine is described in my "Connjuring" notes

or...

If you're a TSD member, you'll find two versions in the magic section (a couple guys have told me "As the World Turns" is worth the price of joining TSD)

&/or... If you have a 1997 run of linking ring mags... you'll find an early version of this in my parade.

If you're interested in the notes, I'm now offering them in .pdf form

Doug\'s product page

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » January 20th, 2005, 8:48 am

The "clean-up" for OOTW was addressed several times in the past here on the Genii forum. A quick search found the following old threads:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 011#000004

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 031#000000

The first thread has a very nice method posted by Gerald Deutsch.

Oh..... here's one more:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 564#000008

Good luck.

Bob

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » January 24th, 2005, 1:23 am

I have a clean-up in Precursor XLVIII on pages 12, 13 and 14.
Anthony

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 24th, 2005, 2:54 am

Harry Lorayne's 'OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE' requires no cleaning up at the end.

I've been performing this effect for almost twenty years and it has NEVER failed me.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 24th, 2005, 6:33 am

I second the New World recommendation.

I question Dick Lucas's suggestion of showing mistakes and fixing them with a magic wand. While I'm sure that's an interesting trick, the effect is different than that of the traditional OOTW plot, which is that the spectator was able to divine the differences of the colors. I think this idea is much stronger than that of the magician controlling the outcome, or magically making the outcome "happen." Lucas's version becomes more akin to Oil and Water than OOTW.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 24th, 2005, 7:07 am

Why the hell would anyone use a magic wand during Out of this World?
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » January 24th, 2005, 7:18 am

The Paul Harris version "Galaxy" is very clean. It also eliminates that first round of dealing in Universe. Plus, it allows for the spectator to shuffle at the start, which is nice....But you can't go wrong with Universe.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 24th, 2005, 7:20 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Why ... use a magic wand during Out of this World?
Perhaps you give the wand to the volunteer and have them use it to direct where each card goes.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mago

Postby mago » January 24th, 2005, 7:46 am

John,

I have to agree with you on "Out of this universe".

The strongest part of the routine is that the deck is shuffled numerous times without any tricky moves and every thing looks legit.

Wonderful demo of "real esp". lol.

Tom Wolf

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2005, 8:42 am

In what book/video/DVD can Harry Lorayne's "Out of this Universe" be found? Sounds fascinating!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » January 24th, 2005, 8:47 am

In My Favorite Card Tricks (1965), page 26,
Impromptu Out of this World
In Close-up Card Magic (1962), page 80
Out of this Universe.

Attention !!!!
These two tricks are not exactly the same.

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2005, 9:14 am

Thanks, Philippe, for the speedy reply!

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2005, 9:16 am

For an easy 'clean up' I scoop up the cards of the dirty pile leaving the top face up card in place, then lay the cards in my hand face up while the spectator is turning over the 'clean' pile. It is very easy, it is a natural move, nothing suspicious and it is not messy. I've used this method since the mid-60's and have always amazed the audience, never been caught, never challenged. I think I am using the original version, am I? The only problem is you must remember which pile is 'dirty', so I usually check the last card to be sure.

With this method the moves are not suspicious and they are very natural appearing as if it were real magic. I don't understand the complaints. Can someone explain this to my lame brain, please?

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2005, 9:21 am

Because I want to. It is obviously not necessary, but for children it is very impressive, a la Harry Potter. This was not worthy of your criticism.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » January 24th, 2005, 9:58 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
[b] Why ... use a magic wand during Out of this World?
Perhaps you give the wand to the volunteer and have them use it to direct where each card goes. [/b]
One should do this with some caution, forget the cards, the volunteer may decide where the wand should go on his own.
Bill Wells

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » January 24th, 2005, 10:43 am

For the good old days ?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 24th, 2005, 12:17 pm

Originally posted by Bill Wells:
...One should do this with some caution, forget the cards, the volunteer may decide where the wand should go on his own. [/QB]
Always remove the batteries and cap from a wand before handing it off to a muggle. Frogs and rabbits are a fuss to chase down.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Free advice-double your money back......

Don't overlook Steve Draun's version of OOTW from

his book You can blow away magicians with it.

There is no bad pile . . . When it's over just

spread the cards..........Mike

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2005, 6:32 am

@Dick Lucas

I do a slightly different version of OOTW - and actually I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the original.

I let the spectator shuffle the cards. Then I do Lennart Green's angle separation and let the spectator deal the 52 cards at once in two piles.
Problem is, now I have two heaps with reds on the bottom and blacks on top (or vice versa).

I'm just looking for the cleanest way to exchange the packets.

Lennart Green does this in his hands but in my opinion it's a little messy.
Derren Brown has a beautiful way of doing it but it has to be on a table.

I've tried both and some of my own attempts but am still not satisfied.

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2005, 9:40 am

Originally posted by Peter Hewitt:
Well I go one step further and have the spectator deal out the ok pile one at a time - tension is enormous - everyone is sure that the next card is sure to be wrong. Then after all this dealing no one thinks twice as I flip over the other pile, toss out the marker cards stating "And of course here all the reds and blacks are together as well."

btw I save the "wrong card" effect for about 3/4 way through - just when the dealer is starting to think "what a waste of time".

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2005, 9:41 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Dean Dill and Michael Weber are about to release "A New World" -- it is incredible how they have, with 20 years development, come up with a whole new way to do it... no packet switching, spectator can shuffle the cards, etc.

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2005, 9:41 am

Originally posted by gooldy:
Originally posted by Pete Biro:
[b] Dean Dill and Michael Weber are about to release "A New World" -- it is incredible how they have, with 20 years development, come up with a whole new way to do it... no packet switching, spectator can shuffle the cards, etc.

[/b]

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » February 7th, 2005, 12:22 pm

Jim Steinmeyer, in one of his latest books, also has a method for exchanging the packets. He admits that it is reminiscent of a Paul Harris strategem, but is bears the hallmarks of Jim's thinking.

Personally, I would just like to invoke that old magical saw, "Why are you running when no one is chasing you?"

Do your spectators dislike the layout? Can this layout be explained logically and fulfillingly? Certainly it can. I, and countless other performers, have done so for years. Should you perhaps be looking for a cleaner "presentation?"

Lastly, I believe that "Out of This Universe" should not be likened too heavily to "OOTW."

I think Universe is a wonderful effect, but in the eyes and minds of the spectator, it is very, very different.

Fred Zimmerman

Return to “Close-Up Magic”