DPS On Cogitations

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

DPS On Cogitations

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2005, 1:08 pm

Recently in Steven Youell's excellent magazine Cogitations, Andrew Wimhurst published a great twist on the Diagonal Palm Shift, which peaked my interest in the move. Although I've studied Erdnase, I'd also like to find some other references for work on the DPS. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Hanosek

Re: DPS On Cogitations

Postby Joe Hanosek » January 29th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Check out Carney on Palming as well as Revelations

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 29th, 2005, 6:16 pm

John Luka's L.I.N.T. ("Luka in New Tops) has a chapter on Steven Youell's mentor Paul Chosse's work on this sleight.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 30th, 2005, 3:24 am

This is first rate stuff from Andrew.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2005, 11:00 am

"The Annotated Erdnase", by Darwin Ortiz, is excellent. Vernon makes some recommendations in "Revelations", the Third Edition of "Expert Card Technique" has related material, Vernon's "Chronicles" has the Finley variation, LePaul offers his take in "The Card Magic of LePaul", Busby discusses it in "The Man Who was Erdnase", Roger Klause has a technique in his book, "In Concert", and I believe Mike Close has some work on it as well as the aforementioned material by John Carney. I'm sure there are many other articles I'm forgetting right now, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately. Still, the best source, and all you need to do this properly, is the description in the original book, "The Expert at the Card Table"! Thanks, Erdnase...

Best, PSC

P.S. I have posted some thoughts on the DPS on that "other message board" - you might want to take a look...

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » January 30th, 2005, 8:22 pm

You forgot the side-steal chapter of Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique. And Derek Dingle's sort of-kind of version in the "Complete Works" book.

The problem with most versions of the move is that they get away from the niftiest part of it, namely the right thumb at the back. See the Dingle and LePaul write-ups for the kind of thing I'm talking about.

-T

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2005, 2:56 am

Don't forget to check out Michael Vincent's excellent thoughts on, and demonstration of, the DPS in Roger Crossthwaite's Inner Sanctum videos (Vols 2 & 5)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”