Close up tricks I "DO MOST"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Pete Biro

Close up tricks I "DO MOST"

Postby Pete Biro » December 20th, 2002, 10:19 pm

This should be interesting. Please for LAYMEN.

Mine?

Edward Victor Bat Trick (Jimmy Rogers "I'll Start Again" premise, but all my own presentation and patter with Alan Alan's finish). :genii:
Stay tooned.

Dave Egleston

Re: Close up tricks I "DO MOST"

Postby Dave Egleston » December 21st, 2002, 1:31 am

I don't entertain much - But I always start with an Ambitious Card routine - Because of arthritis and my idiotic mood swings it is a good indicator whether or not to proceed - If it looks good and I don't stutter and stumble - I'll usually baffle'em with the other card trick I know - Then my show's complete!

Dave

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2002, 10:37 am

I have two. I've been doing Dan Fleshman's Sonata For Ring and String for about 12 years. There was a lot of new routines out for ring and string a few years ago but I think his is pretty sound so I've never made any changes to it.

My second routing is Jay Sankey's Back In Time. When I was first getting into magic I didn't think a slop shuffle would fool laymen. It does obviously and the presentation of the trick is nice with a good climax.

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2002, 10:45 am

My choice would be the one-coin routine.

Just about any age can appreciate it and it breaks language barriers. It has universal appeal. It can be done impromptu if needed (with a quarter). Resets automatically. And it has that classical magic appeal when people go back to childhood and remember "Grandpa's Coin Trick with the nickel." (Except that Grandpa could never do a very convincing retention vanish)

I follow mine up with a copper/silver routine.

Jamie

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2002, 11:46 am

Most commonly I'll do a Slop Shuffle. I've just adopted Paul Cummins' handling which I feel is very visual.

As a runner up, probably Colour Monte. I love watching them trying to unstick the cards at the end :-)

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2002, 7:46 pm

I usually open with Dingle's The Card For Head Trick from the second (?) NY Magic Symposium book. If it's well received I'll go on to a sandwich routine where the sandwich cards are face up on top of the pack and vanish with a wave of the hand (Vernon's No Palm color change) to dive into the pack in search of the selection. They return with the selection trapped betwixt..

The no selection Triumph Steve Mayhew referred to elsewhere... and Paul Harris' Ultimate Rip-Off if I have an old or incomplete pack with me.

Come to think about it these are the tricks I do most often for magicians too. :)

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2002, 7:54 pm

Originally posted by Chris Bailey:
When I was first getting into magic I didn't think a slop shuffle would fool laymen.
I was the same way until I noticed that whenever I asked a layman to shuffle the cards there was about an 80% chance they'ed shuffle by pushing off small packets and cutting them under the pack proper. It looks exactly like a slop shuffle without reversing cards!

cataquet

Postby cataquet » December 22nd, 2002, 3:59 am

OK, these are the effects I do most: C&R rope, Linking Ropes, or Ring(s) & Rope. The first and last are openers, and the middle is a closer. Don't ever do more than one of these at a session for a group or table, but I try and do them with equal fequency at the given venue.

Bye for now

Harold

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2002, 4:03 am

The one trick that I always carry with me is my own No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda.
The gasps from customers when the coin changes in their own hand is a joy to hear.
I developed it specifically for table-hopping because of the reset problems with the gimmicked Scotch and Soda.
Plus the fact that the gimmicked coin in the basic set may look genuine but it sound and feels like a lead washer!
My routine uses no gimmicks and, while written for use in Canada, the patter can be adapted to almost any country in the world.
The routine originally appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine a few years back.
Anyone who is interested, can have it simply by e-mailing me at the address, below.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2002, 9:17 am

I'm someone who's a total believer in Paul Cummins' "FASDIU" principle -- very little in the way of gaffs, just a deck and an interesting tale. The three standards of my rep are Whit Haydn's "Chicago Surprise," "Open Prediction" from Card College 3, and a trick from Howie Schwarzman's 1961 lecture notes called the "Five Card Trick."

Scotty York saw me work last fall and told me "That's a great set, because you never once needed to do a pass!"

Once I'm through with the opener, laypeople can look at and shuffle the deck all they want, and then I'm off into the next routine.

brian :cool:

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2002, 11:53 am

Brian:
Much agreed, re: telling a tale, which is why I really go for Bro. John's Twins every chance I get. That, Chicago Opener, Vernon's Cutting the Aces and Hartman's Over and Over form a very nice 5-minute set. (Of course, I don't hesitate to make fun of myself during the set...calling attention to the fact that we pull out aces, to slide them back in, only to pull them out again...but that's how magicians work, I say; which leads pretty nicely into Over and Over.)

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2002, 3:40 pm

I have used "The Coin that Falls Up" with a silver dollar to great response as a "quickie" for laypeople. I select a presentation suitable for the moment:

- with kids, I talk about how Harry Potter caused his broom to rise from the ground to his hand using the word "Up," but that I can only do a coin so far...

- with adults, I've used quips about the stock market, the economy, and a "sobriety test" presentation... they always want to see it again

With cards, I use Paul Cummins' straightforward "Invisible Card" all the time.

Finally, I always have the Klause bill transposition in my wallet. I think it looks great. I keep meaning to learn David Parr's handling in Brain Food that allows you to use borrowed bills, but just haven't gotten around to it.

JMT

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2002, 11:31 am

As a "new" magician, I don't have a vast array yet. But here over the holidays I've REALLY enjoyed performing "Design for Laughter" from The Royal Road... and Color Monte. Audience reactions have been great.

I know some people don't like Color Monte :mad: , but that's because they have forgotten the effect it has on Laymen. The surprise on my brothers face (who never smiles) at the end of Color Monte will probably never be surpassed as long as I perform....Priceless! :D

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2002, 12:29 pm

Three trick I like to do are Jay Sankey's Parallel Worlds, John Bannon's Tattoo You, and Darwin Oritiz' The Phantom Card. These are fun because they deal with, respectively, Paralell Worlds, Dreams, and Hypnosis. Merry Christmas to all!

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2002, 7:04 am

Originally posted by Darren Roberts:
[QB]As a "new" magician, I don't have a vast array yet. But here over the holidays I've REALLY enjoyed performing "Design for Laughter" from The Royal Road
I got Royal Road in 1983 and I still enjoy performing that effect along with many others.

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2002, 10:10 am

I usually do the Asher Twist into Twisting the Aces.

I hate ace tricks...yet I do those ALL the time.

I also do my own In Hands Triumph. Nice and clean and everyone loves it!

Chris

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2002, 11:30 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
This should be interesting. Please for LAYMEN.
The trick I would have around, and was the last to give up doing was the copper silver transpositoin. I used a borrowed quarter and a Russian 5 Kopeck coin. I was so happy to have been given the coin by an aquaintance at school and had the gimick made with a duplicate coin.

In terms of handling, it was just a bold version of the Kaps idea having them make a pair tweezers and pull out the gimick. A very strong effect.

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 2:17 pm

I almost always do either Red Hot Mamma (Chicago Opener) or Homing Card in each set. They both work very well for me. Bob

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 5:01 pm

A simple sponge ball routine. Those laymen just love the second ball appearing in their hands! My three year old son gets fooled and loves it seeing it over and over again and he's a very tough audience.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » December 28th, 2002, 5:57 pm

I first got David Williamson's video For International Magic about 13 years ago and I still do the Ring on Rope (sorry Richard!) and 51 Cards to Pocket to this day. More recently, I start, and close, every close-up set I do with the Destination Box. It fools people to the point of scaring them!

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 8:58 pm

Jon, check out Frank Balzerak's version of the Williamson Ring and Rope routine on his "Magic For Humans" video. The get ready is "worth the price of the tape". When Frank first showed it to me it went by me a few times (he shows 2 methods and the one I am referring to uses a knot... when you see it it will make sense). Are you doing something different with the routine you usually have some nice "Jon Allen touches".

Tim Trono

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 11:16 pm

I always open with my Color Changing Knife routine with a Minar/Color-fusing knife finish. Vic Kirk gave me a copy of Ascanio's World of Knives back 1998. Ascanio's book opened my eyes to the wonders of the Color Changing Knives.

Francis Carlyle's Homing Card/Card-to-Pocket from Stars of Magic is also a fun and very magical effect. It also allows for some silly "by play" as the cards travel...plus I can practice my Top Palm.

I know the purists will hate this, but my audiences also enjoy my presentation of the Hot Rod (stupid force and all). I always use it and it never fails to get a joyful reaction. So shoot me... :o

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » December 29th, 2002, 5:58 am

The only addition I have made, apart from my own presentation, is the ditching of the extra piece if required. If someone has been burning the rope (HA!) and I feel they have figured it out (Ever worked for engineers? They're the worst/best at figuring stuff out.) I will ditch the short piece back in my pocket.

I do this as I ask for the ring to be taken off the rope. I'll ask the person burning me to do this. As he or she does so, the hand holding the short piece moves back to allow the rope to slide out the ring. It moves back until it is by my rear trouser pocket. I then put it in the pocket and carry on moving my hand away. I can then come out clean and leave the rope and ring with the person.

I've only ever had to do this about 3 or 4 times.

Postby Guest » December 29th, 2002, 9:31 am

Just to establish proper crediting, I believe David Williamson's ring and rope routine was based on a routine by Bruce Allen as stated in his lecture notes "How Magic Works."

As to the topic of this thread, I almost always do my sponge rabbit routine, a Think a Card effect and the Homing Card (card to pocket).

Frank Yuen

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » December 29th, 2002, 10:29 am

I do fingered three by Simon Lovell alot. Winged Silver, three fly, Mr Clean Coins Across, and coin thru table depending on my situation. Miliken's transpo also

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » December 29th, 2002, 2:00 pm

My favorites are:

Torn and Restored Dollar Impromptu ala Jimmy Grippo

Flipped, marked and mirrored.

Nick Trost's Twister (A form of twisting the aces.

Francis Carlyle's - Giving out your blank, then printed business card.

Postby Guest » December 29th, 2002, 7:18 pm

geno, i like twisting the aces effects and was wondering where can i find "twister" by nick trost. i have "the card magic of nick trost" and its not in there. you help is appreciated....thanks

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » December 29th, 2002, 7:28 pm

I think Haines House of Cards has a few.

Geno

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2002, 2:42 am

Happy New Year!!
The close-up trick I do most is Curtis Kam's Twisted Trio which can be found in Curtis Kam's book Deceptions in Paradise. ;)
Also, recently I enjoy doing Troy Hooser's verson of 3 fly (with flipper coin). It's very clean and visual. I got great reponse from lay audience. Thanks to Troy Hooser's brilliant's idea. :)

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2003, 4:13 am

Happy New Year.
Daryl's Cardboard Chameleons is the trick ,that I perform most often ,with the Sponge Rabbitt trick and ambitious card routine.

Marc

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2003, 4:45 am

I am almost always wearing my Vernet's Magic Thumb. A million tricks in your always in your hand... (or Thumb) lol.

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2003, 5:13 am

For me it probably has to be a colour change, usually a very short two-stage routine using the push-in change.

HappyTrickster

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2003, 10:01 am

My favorite used to be "Dexter the Dextrous" (as described in Bascom Jones Magick issue #1). That was an adaptation of Bill Nord's Skullocation. I gave it up when some one stole the skull. After that my favorite was "The Mississippi Switch" as described in Magick issue #7).

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2003, 12:41 pm

Ambitious Card and copper/silver transposition

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2003, 12:45 pm

I would have to say that I almost always do my handling of twisting the aces and some of my other effect with cards. But the one that always knocks the laymen between the eyes is Jay Sankeys @#$% (paperclipped), or Bob Kohlers ultimate three fly.

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2003, 7:53 pm

Hands down, the famous dice routine, exactly as written in Elliot's book. Packs reallllllllllllly small, and plays big. Set em down and examine till the cows come home.

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2003, 8:58 pm

I usually do Two Card Monte and Temptation.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 6th, 2003, 9:38 pm

Tonga: Yes, Dexter the Dextorous, that is one great bit... I have a skullo carved from Ivory that I use that was left to me in Fred Kaps' will.

You should be able to find some of the original Skull-O-Kation skulls.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2003, 1:15 am

Favourites and favorites are:
Red Hot Mama
Pinochle Twins (Ryan patter with Hamman handling)
Snap
Ace Location (Leech)
Bill Change or T&R

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2003, 5:17 am

I'll grab a pencil or straw and usually a coin and tell them I will cause the coin to vanish when I tap it 3 times with the pencil. On the third tap, the pencil is ditched behind my ear. I turn to show and remove the pencil and ditch the coin ... bluff vanish the coin ... then do a Flip Stick with the pencil. Pause 2 beats and pull the pencil out of my nose. It is fast, visual with even a large group in poor lighting, works in a noisy place, it's gets to the magic fast, and its funny.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”