amazon.com Associate Program

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

amazon.com Associate Program

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Richard,

I can't post a response in the Announcements section, so I'll ask my question here:

Will Genii get a commission only on books that you have a direct link to, or will you also see commission on any other items ordered if amazon.com is first entered via your link?

I ask because I order frequently from Amazon (as I suspect many others do on the Forum) and I certainly would make it a practice to enter Amazon via your link if it helped support this Forum and Genii in general.

Thanks!

Richard Hatch

Re: amazon.com Associate Program

Postby Richard Hatch » April 25th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Good question. Also, is there a way to configure the link so that it opens a new window rather than moves one out of the Forum?
Steinmeyer's Soo book seems positioned to be an online bestseller, since it currently ranks #7,543 in Amazon sales and hasn't even beeen released yet (earlier today is was just over 5,000). Not sure exactly what those numbers mean, but for comparison, the new Ricky Jay book (also not yet available generally) ranks #119,484 and Karl Johnson's unreleased MAGICIAN AND THE CARDSHARP weighs in at #108,804. Jim Swain's MR LUCKY is at #5,361...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2005, 7:51 pm

Yes, any items you purchase on Amazon by clicking through to Amazon using our link will help support the Forum (and the magazine as well).

I will ask Webmaster Brad about opening a new window.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 25th, 2005, 8:15 pm

Hot damn. I have like 5 things in my Amazon wish list (non magic related). Looks like it's time to order via the Genii link.

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » April 26th, 2005, 11:21 pm

And now more conveniently on the left-side. :)
Former Vonnegut Character

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » April 27th, 2005, 2:02 pm

I know you don't care what I think..

But you've just downgraded the quality of these forums. If anything, put them on the RIGHT side so nothing gets pushed over.

David.
David Mitchell

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2005, 4:22 pm

I have been thinking about putting them on the right side. We'll see if Brad can do that.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 27th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Right side would be cool(er). But I just made my first Amazon order of random books via the forum and it was smooth as silk.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 27th, 2005, 6:33 pm

I have to say that I'm in favor of anything (within reason) that keeps Genii a viable forum and glad to know that non-magic purchases still "score".

I have to say the right side would certainly be easier on the eyes. All the narrow verticals of the ads plus the whitespace below user names makes the forum look off balance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2005, 9:17 pm

I believe Brad will be making some changes tonight.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2005, 10:58 pm

A vast improvement - nice one, Brad. Now all you need is to increase the margin at the left by a millimeter or two to give it a bit more 'balance'.

Or maybe not. Just an idea.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 28th, 2005, 7:43 am

It's much better. My horizontal scrollbar has disappeared and I can still see all the ads. This is on Firefox, 1024 x 768, Windows XP.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 28th, 2005, 7:59 am

Yes, it looks much better on the right. It will be fun to see what amazon has to offer. If you get to choose what's there, I suggest adding Mac King's Tricks With Your Head. Plus there is tons of good fiction out there about magic.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 28th, 2005, 10:01 am

I'll reiterate what Richard said earlier: Genii gets a benefit if you order ANYTHING from Amazon, as long as you click through to get to Amazon via the links here. That means non-magic stuff including books, DVDs, kitchen appliances, etc.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 14th, 2005, 9:55 am

I just picked up a copy of Eric Idle's The Greedy Bastard Diary : A Comic Tour of America, which is quite funny especially in that it is real (true) humor as opposed to invented humor. Part of his tour of America includes a pleasant visit with Penn and Teller.

While shopping Amazon, don't overlook the impending Cincinnati Kid on dvd (end of month), Mac King's Tricks With Your Head, and The Magic Show with Doug Henning (dvd and original cast album).

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2005, 6:33 pm

If those of us north of the border click on an amazon.com link on this site, scroll to the bottom of that page, click on the link to the Canadian site (amazon.ca) and then order a book, will we be supporting Genii through the Associate Program?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 25th, 2005, 6:44 pm

Dan, good question! I have no idea, but I would assume not.
Incidentally, we got quite a nice check from Amazon last month so I really appreciate all the orders that have been coming through the site!

Return to “General”