Warren Stephens Information

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Warren Stephens Information

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2002, 10:48 am

I found an old card gimmick that I purchased about 15 years ago. I believe it was a Warren Stephens' product. If I remember correctly, the effect was similar to Haunted Deck. The gaff--difficult to describe in print--consists of 2 cards fixed together. The face card has a semi-circular cutout and there is a piece of spring (metal) which swings down/out and then back. I can't remember the handling. Can only remember that a freely selected card was placed under the gaff and as the pressure was released, the selected card animated and disclosed itself. Can anyone provide details or contact information? (PS: I remember taking this effect up to Reuben's in NYC and fooling Richie with it) Thanks for any help

Pete Biro

Re: Warren Stephens Information

Postby Pete Biro » April 19th, 2002, 11:07 am

I have one somewhere and I too forget the handling... duhhhhhhhhh :mad:
Stay tooned.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » April 19th, 2002, 4:07 pm

MB Korn,

The effect was sold as "Oh! Wee Gee".

Here's an outline of the handling:

-gimmick is at the bottom of the face down down with the 'open' end of the 'track' towards you
-shuffle the deck whilst retaining the gimmick at the bottom of the deck
-spread cards for selection
-square the deck in the left hand and undercut about a third of the deck
-hold out cards in left hand for the replacement of the selected card
-selected card is placed on top of the left hand cards
-place the forward end of the cards in the right hand on the rear end of the cards in the left hand (about an inch)
-with a firm downward pressure slide the packets together....as you do the spring will engage the bottom half and be pulled into the working position

I hope this makes sense.

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2002, 7:38 pm

Thanks, John. I appreciate your help. Do you remember the position for the revelation? Was the deck placed on the table with a finger on top and then pressure slowly released? OR was it held in the hands? Any additional comments would be great

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » April 19th, 2002, 8:58 pm

Was the deck placed on the table with a finger on top and then pressure slowly released? OR was it held in the hands?
The instructions state that the 'loaded' deck is placed on the table with the spectator pressing down on the deck with his/her finger.

You have to be mindful of the fact that the protruding end of the gaff will make a 'tell-tale' click if it strikes the edge of the deck at the wrong angle when replacing the right hand cards onto the selection. I think that this may be overcome by gluing a very small piece of cork on the protruding end of the gaff.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”