coin magic

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brian Marks

coin magic

Postby Brian Marks » July 29th, 2001, 5:15 pm

Most of the magi out there do primarily cards. Since coin magic is my forte, I was wondering what coin tricks are favorites.

A sleight of hand 3 fly is my favorite.
Coin to [censored] always does well for me along with David Williamson's version of chinc a chinc.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Marks ]

Re: coin magic

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2001, 6:40 pm

My favorite coin tricks to perform are either a simple Flurry, Anything w/ a jumbo coin, or a nice little Spellbound routine. I love the fact that these can all be done standing up giving it them that impromptu feel to them...Just my cents

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 30th, 2001, 1:41 am

Kelly: I picked up a book at Davenport's in London titled JUMBO COIN MAGIC (153 pages) by Graham Kirk who is from South Africa. Th book is published by Captain's Publishing House...probably cost $25-30...depending...

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2001, 7:30 pm

One of my favorite coin tricks (really routines) is Gary Kurtz's "Full Frontal Assault," the predecessor to "Trio." It's got some very fun three coin sequences that are easy to use as little modular/jazzy sets depending on crowd response/performance situation.

My favorite coin tricks are never so much the "tricks" themselves as much as they are the production and vanish sequences. David Stone's 4 coin production and vanish sequence is really great, esp. since the climax of the magic happens on the table rather than your hands.

But some of the most effective coin magic is copper/silver stuff. Impossible magic in the audiences hands...what more do you want...

I also love doing flurry sets, and although I have a lot of fun with jumbo coin work, I'm always looking for extra endings to a flurry set (torn coin, bent/melting coin, mutilated coin, karate coin, jumbo torn coin [ick], a jumbo jumbo coin). If anyone has some good endings out there (either in terms of tricks or lines), let me know....

Sorry...got a little excited by finding people who want to talk about coin magic :eek:

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2001, 7:38 am

One of my favs is Invisible Hand from Paul Cummins video Up In Smoke. It is short, sweet,and devestating on spectators. This video is the best coin magic put on tape, it belongs in every library of coin workers.

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2001, 4:44 am

THANKS for the info. Mr. Racherbaumer... i will have to check that book out

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » August 1st, 2001, 6:51 pm

I've tried ALOT of coin tricks in my day.

My vote for best-all-time-most-practical-working-impromptu-formal-formal-casual coin effect goes to: The One Coin Flurry.

(echoing Kelly Hernandez thoughts.)

When "working" (a gig) I seldom find myself doing any other coin effect (yet, I know hundreds <--- mr. humble.)

I could blab more, but the (new) babino is crying... gotta run

Conn
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 1st, 2001, 6:59 pm

congrats on the new bambino

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2001, 8:04 pm

I use a very old and magical looking chinese coin where I perform a spellbound a couple of vanishes and I found it very easy to do John Cornelius' coin that falls up with the larger coin. I finish the routine with John Bannons Shanghai Surprise.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 19th, 2001, 3:43 am

Brian Marks asked:
Most of the magi out there do primarily cards. Since coin magic is my forte, I was wondering what coin tricks are favorites.

Twilight
pure poetry

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » August 23rd, 2001, 8:07 am

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Jerry Harrell ]

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » August 23rd, 2001, 11:46 am

Ha!
Another Twilight Afficionado.
I completely agree as it being the most poetic coinroutine ever.
But also so very unpractical. It's too small for most close-up venues(because everything is flat on the table) and too "angly" for table magic.
Suggestions anyone?

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » August 23rd, 2001, 12:43 pm

Actually, as a bar magician, I do a lot of coin magic. I actually find that coin work is easier to personalize than cards. I don't know why. Perhaps it's because of the manipulative nature of coin work.

Anyway, my favorite routine is my own handling (I know, I know) of repeat coin under glass loosely based on the old Goshman salt shaker masterpiece with a few kickers and presentation of my own. Im only bragging because its really the best thing I do for both laymen and magicians, and I got a great reaction performing the routine as part of the close-up show at this past Magic on Manhattan convention.

I also do a pretty standard but very nice coins across, with the last coin going in startling fashion using a Ross Bertram-esque steal.

Coins through table, Slydini style, with that great one-coin flurry at the end can't be beat.

Theres also a great trick from Bobos that I always do, where a coin jumps from my hand to join another coin in a hanky held by the spectator. It lands with a loud clank right in the spectator's hands. I forget the name of this one, but its an old gem.

Slydini, Goshman, Bertram, Bobo....damn I'm getting old.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 23rd, 2001, 3:14 pm

When I worked in a magic shop, Nickles To Dimes was an automatic sale each and every demo. It seems to be dismissed in professional circles (I suppose it looks "proppy"). Im curious to know if theres anyone out there who actually uses it.

Incidentally, I saw an early edit of Sankeys new tape on coin magic (The Revolutionary Coin Magic of Jay Sankey), and its got some great stuff. Check out his ad in the September Genii. (Jay advertising in an issue devoted to midgets. Hmmm.)

End Transmission
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 23rd, 2001, 7:37 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
When I worked in a magic shop, Nickles To Dimes was an automatic sale each and every demo. It seems to be dismissed in professional circlesEnd Transmission

Loved to demo the nickles to dimes...
Didn't use Dimes. Setup as if I was going to do a tranformation and handed the caps to the customer, glancing away at some distraction as I did.
Dropped the caps into the customers hands from about 4 inchs so they'd jump a bit expecting nickels to fly all over the place.

It's nice when magic evokes a physical reaction and it never failed to make the sale.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2001, 9:38 am

I still use Leipzigs handling of copper silver transpo for laymen and it nevr fails to astonish. So simple. Maybe that is it's strength.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2001, 4:41 pm

I have to agree on all the flurry talk it really seems to get great reactions from young and old. It is purely visual. I had a seven year old that couldn't stop giggling every time the coin re-appeared. Good stuff.
Copper/Silver tanspo's are great as well, really blows the specs away. I also use a Gary Kurtz' effect on one of his videos I forget the name but it uses A Mexican Centavo, English Penny, and a Half Dollar. Coins keep vanishing and appearing under a card. Very good stuff. Troy hoosier has a nice effect using 3 Chinese coins and a peice of ribbon, very poetic and pretty to watch.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 30th, 2001, 4:52 pm

David Roth's "Standup Copper/Silver Classic" from Kaufman's CoinMagic is one of the most purely magical things I've ever seen or done. It's so good it's worth practicing your palm-to-palm change enough to be able to do it with confidence. The Fred Kaps ending with the final change occuring in the spectator's hand is a great climax.

If I don't have any gimmicks I'll take three quarters and do Jay Sankey's "Mr. Clean Coins Across". I jiggered the ending to use Deep Backclip instead of another Goshman/Tenkai pinch, so that I could end with the pop-up production from Chris Kenner's "The Deep."

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2001, 6:07 pm

It would be difficult to pick a favorite coin effect, as my favorite has changed many times over the years. There are a few that stand out in my mind because they blew me away the first time I ever saw them. Among them are Slydini's "one coin" routine, Paul Harris' PDQ coins across, David Roth's Hanging Coins and Chink-a-Chink, Chad Long's three coin flurry which he credits to Homer Liwag (Correct me if I am wrong, Chad), and a three coin flurry routine created by Charlie Justice.

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: Mike Heitkamper ]

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2001, 3:36 pm

COINS!!! I love coins, especially the way they feel first thing in the morning (kind of like nice cold sheets.)
Anyways I was playing with a version of 3 fly with jumbo coins(sleight of hand version) and boy was it hard. Actually I have a set of notes out titled: SENSE. I handed these out at the last World Magic Seminar(vegas last Jan.) They contain a full four phase routine with production, transposition, penetration, and vanish. E-mail me if any one wants to know more.
I hope I didn't offend anyone by talking about my notes. SORRY if I did.

Spydur

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » September 24th, 2001, 1:22 pm

I love Chad Long's stuff :) Does he have that routine in print? Or does Homer have it in print? As for me I like Sawa's Bank Night and I really like Troy Hooser's chinese coins off ribbon (Charming Chinese Challenge I believe?)and of course coins across. Then again that's not saying much. There are a ton of versions of that. Across the nose, shell, extra coin, Han Ping Chen, Bitch Pitch...it's all good to me :)

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 24th, 2001, 2:07 pm

First let me say I was never really interested in coin magic until I had the pleasure of seeing Troy Hooser lecture here in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. His coin work is terrific. I was really impressed with his thinking and his very visual strong magic. He's made many of the classic coin effects and his own creations possible to perform for the average performer and his routining makes them practical to use in the real world. I immediately learned the Charming Chinese Challenge and am working on a few others. If you haven't yet buy his book "Destroyers" and his "Silver Surf" booklets. Well worth the investment. I wish you sculd all see him perform and see how good the effects look and how practical they are to perform. On top of that he's really a nice guy.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » September 24th, 2001, 2:12 pm

I agree. I bought Silver Surf a couple years ago when it came out and picked up his book Destroyers as well. While the material is great I didn't think the writing was very good. Joshua Jay needs to use terms like "Fingertip rest, fingerpalm position" rather then saying things like "The coin goes behind your fingers" or "Your fingers point up." He's a clever kid and I love the way he thinks but his technical writing needs some work. Anyone else want to comment on the book? I've been doing magic for about 10 years so I could pick up the descriptions and mechanics ok but I wonder if it would be difficult for someone just starting out?

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 24th, 2001, 2:52 pm

I agree completely that the technical writing in the book is poor. I've been in magic over 30 years (I started VERY young) and can see how it would not be easy to follow some of the explanations. I did have the added opportunity of seeing the performance and explanations at the lecture so it made much of it easier to understand. Although having been involved with writing up some effects I do admit it looks much easier to do then it is. After spending some time with Troy before and after the lecturs I can say that the first section of the book regarding Troy Hooser's theory and performing style was uncannily accurate.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » September 24th, 2001, 4:52 pm

His trick that uses blue-tak is great. But I seemed to have trouble getting the coin to stick to my leg due to the weight of the coin (I use dollars). Has anyone had any experience with this?

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 24th, 2001, 5:00 pm

He mentioned that in the lecture. He said he puts it there for only a couple of seconds or it does fall. When he performed and explained the effect he left it there for only a second or two. Also he mentioned the lighter the object the longer it will stay but still not long.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » September 24th, 2001, 5:10 pm

Good to know. Thanks!!

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » September 24th, 2001, 5:45 pm

I noticed Kainoa Harbottle mentioned Gary Kurtz' "Full Frontal Assault". I've seen that on the Magic of Canada tape and think it's pretty great. Is that published anywhere? I emailed Gary about it quite some time ago but recieved no response.

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2001, 12:45 pm

I noticed a couple of people are interested in the Coin Flurry by Homer Liwag recently popularized by Chad Long. It is in print but hard to find. The routine is written up in "The Magic Man Examiner" the now defunct magazine by Liwag and Kenner. Hooser also had a couple of items in there as well. Good luck finding it.

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2001, 12:36 am

Chris,

I don't think Gary ever published "Full Frontal Assault", but if you are familiar with Gary's material either from his book or videos, you can pick apart the routine as he mostly (but not exclusively) used techniques taught in his published materials.

Performance only video of Gary performing "Full Frontal Assult" can be found on the Stevens Magic Emporium, Classics of Coin magic video 1.

As Gary has shifted his focus onto Mentalism, I fear the routine may never be published.

Dan

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2001, 11:41 am

I am a little curious...What exactly is the "Bitch Pitch?"
Thanx

Spydur

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 1st, 2001, 12:01 pm

The "Bitch Pitch" is Tom Gagnon's name for "The Gallo Pitch," taught in both Richard's Almanac and Lou Gallo: The Underground Man.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » October 1st, 2001, 8:28 pm

Dan,
Gary has published his routine " Full Frontal Assault" in a special set of lecture note featuring this trick and some of his variations. I have a copy which he gave me many years ago. Unfortunatly, I don't think we will see Gary do it again as he has abandonned practicing his close-up skill for quite some time now. I saw him giving a show and a lecture about two years ago and his lack of practice was plainly apparent... but he did his giant coins routine without so much of a hitch...

In regards to coin magic, Gary is definitly one of the greats.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2001, 9:37 pm

Thanks Yves,

I was not aware of the lecture notes. I assume it was not widely circulated. I know quite a few people who would like a set of those!

I agree Gary is one of the greats.

Dan

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2001, 2:20 pm

my personal favorite is exTROYdinary from Troy Hooser desTROYers book.
I'm french and I'm wondering how did you welcome David Stone's tapes.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: M@thieu D ]

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » October 27th, 2001, 5:32 pm

Regarding "Full Frontal Assault", Gary sold the routine in a pamphlet form at his lectures in the late '80's, early'90's. There were four pamphlets at the time, another had an earlier version of "Flurious" than appeared in "Unexplainable Acts". I recently saw these being sold by some dealer, although the focus of the ad was on Gary's later (and also essential) notes on standup material and misdirection.

If you're still interested, I'd suggest a call or email to Richard Hatch of H&R Books, or suggest to Richard Kaufman that now would be the right time to collect all of Gary's pre-mentalism stuff into one big book. The material is fresh, it's fabulous, and he is apparently (and sadly) done with it.

The introduction to "Full Frontal" deserves more attention. In it, Gary Kurtz introduces a paradigm-shifting idea, one of those rare insights that changes not your methods, but your goals. He posits an entirely new way to look at the experience of coin magic.

Briefly, he suggests that the cumulative effect of a multi-phase routine can create the greater, overall effect of a sustained pleasant hallucination. This does not occur if you are locked into the mindset that magic is the performance of single tricks as puzzles. Instead, you step back, and the audience steps back with you, and you both see the bigger picture.

And what a picture it is. Happy hunting, and if H&R can't help you, or point you in the right direction, maybe Danny Archer has the early lecture notes?

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2001, 8:42 am

M@thieud, Which clipping are you speaking of? I am curious as to why you say it is Homer's version of exTroydinary. I haven't seen Troy's book yet, does he claim that? I was under the impression that it was the other way around. What was your source of information? Just curious really.
As for Mr. Stone I enjoyed some of his handlings very much and I was fooled twice on the tape with coins being deposited on the table. You can tell he is extremely polished. Overall I enjoyed his tapes and would very much like to see him live.
Ahh and the enigmatic Gary Kurtz, His approaches to magic are undoubtedly some of freshest to grace our art. I truly have enjoyed studying his work as it has taught me to look at my own magic differently.

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2001, 10:20 am

Stone is very polished in his 2 tapes as you said. But in real life is complely crazy ;)

steve

Postby steve » October 30th, 2001, 5:40 pm

Jay, I've seen Stone live and it's better than the tapes. The tapes make him look like a geek, and it was due to the production of the tapes. He's wide open in real life and his magic is explosive. I had the opportunity to chat with him some a few hours and his story is quite interesting. Probably practiced more in 6 months than I will in a life time. His skills were flawless and his magic consisted of much more than coins. He kept saying "Be patient Steve, I have some coin magic coming soon", as I sat in anticipation during his lecture.

Super nice guy, very talented and a person that will be at the top of the magic community in a very short time. Very well focused on his skills and his career.

Go see him if he's anywhere around.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 30th, 2001, 6:47 pm

Yes, David Stone is much better live than the two videotapes would indicate. He killed at Fechter's last August. A nice guy, too.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”